Thread: Need advice on low smell strains for outdoor

Thanks

Default Need advice on low smell strains for outdoor

Hi there

I'm planning on trying a small 1 or 2 plant grow in a green colour greenhouse in my garden. I'm wondering what peoples advice is on lower scented strains for this purpose. I live in Scotland so I guess the climate is temperate to cool. The space I have is quite small, so I plan on planting a combination of very scented herbs and flowers strategically around the area. Obviously weed will stink no matter the strain, but I have read that some smell less and some plants and herbs can be used to help camouflage the smell.

I have read of a few strains that might fit:
    Auto duck
    Fresian duck
    Northern light
    Blue mystic
    Durban poison
    Papaya
    Jack Herer auto

And others

But since I live where I live some of them are not suited to the weather. I would like to ask for people advice or strain recommendations. Also take any scented herb/flower suggestions.

Thanks for reading
    Hope you having a good day

Z

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZenElement For This Useful Post:

BR3WDAWG (16-05-23), Deku Nut (25-02-23), GEORGE (24-02-23), scoot (24-02-23), Sun&Soil (24-02-23), Tommy stoner (25-02-23), V8 (20-03-23)

Thanks

any autoflower will grow where u are at, out of all have grown white widow smells the least.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to karnavor For This Useful Post:

BR3WDAWG (16-05-23), Deku Nut (25-02-23), GEORGE (24-02-23), scoot (24-02-23), Sun&Soil (24-02-23), Tommy stoner (25-02-23), ZenElement (26-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,079 Times

Have a look at Herbies headshop, you can filter for low odour strains. Maybe a Dutch Passion auto, they’ve been breeding strains for colder climate for years.
    As above though, definitely go for an auto, I’m about 200 mile south of you and never had a photo finish properly outdoors despite trying many times. The cold weather always gets them.

If you have the space you could also consider surrounding the plants with something legal that has a strong smell. Night scented stock (quite easy to grow from seed) Jasmin (flowers mid to late summer) Honeysuckle (will climb up fences and stuff).

Good Luck

Vald

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

AutoMicroClub (08-07-23), Blue61 (24-02-23), BR3WDAWG (16-05-23), Deku Nut (25-02-23), GEORGE (24-02-23), IceCalibur (27-03-23), scoot (24-02-23), Sun&Soil (24-02-23), Tommy stoner (25-02-23), V8 (20-03-23), ZenElement (26-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,755 Times

I got a northern lights going right now 25 days into flower and she has a strong pleasant order.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tommy stoner For This Useful Post:

BR3WDAWG (16-05-23), Deku Nut (25-02-23), GEORGE (25-02-23), scoot (25-02-23), Sun&Soil (25-02-23), V8 (20-03-23), ZenElement (26-02-23)

Thanks

This is exactly what I want to do with scented plants. I have seen the night scented stock.. good to know. I was planning on having tomatoes in the greenhouse too, they can be quite fragrant. And several types of herb and other flowers around the outside of the greenhouse. I did wonder about jasmin.. maybe let that grow along the small bit of fence. Buddleja too maybe. Thank you for the plant suggestions.

I will take a look at Herbies and Dutch passion.

Tips much appreciated

Z

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZenElement For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (26-02-23), GEORGE (26-02-23), scoot (26-02-23), Sun&Soil (26-02-23), Tommy stoner (26-02-23), V8 (20-03-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,953 Times

Mint, catmint, and dill come to mind for masking scents. Careful though, both mint and dill can grow wildly and spread easily.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (26-02-23), Deku Nut (02-03-23), GEORGE (26-02-23), scoot (26-02-23), V8 (20-03-23), Valentina (11-05-23), ZenElement (27-02-23)

Thanks

Thanks. yeah for mint, I found that out years ago when I planted black peppermint. I have found someone on ebay who has 80 kinds of mint.. they sell 12 pack of plug plants. There are a lot of cats round here so might not plant much catmint lol.

Also curious about the bags of activated charcoal you can get for hanging in the greenhouse. Like if you were to hang a few of these bags near and around the plant, would they help to reduce the smell? Same stuff that's in a carbon filter...but I am unsure how effective it is when not used with an extractor fan..
    Last edited by ZenElement; 27-02-23 at 05:08 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZenElement For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (02-03-23), GEORGE (27-02-23), IceCalibur (27-03-23), scoot (27-02-23), V8 (20-03-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ValdtheImpotent View Post
    Have a look at Herbies headshop, you can filter for low odour strains. Maybe a Dutch Passion auto, they’ve been breeding strains for colder climate for years.
    As above though, definitely go for an auto, I’m about 200 mile south of you and never had a photo finish properly outdoors despite trying many times. The cold weather always gets them.

If you have the space you could also consider surrounding the plants with something legal that has a strong smell. Night scented stock (quite easy to grow from seed) Jasmin (flowers mid to late summer) Honeysuckle (will climb up fences and stuff).

Good Luck

Vald
    agree on herbies. i even found an article on their website. can be helpful - https://herbiesheadshop.com/blog/10-...screet-growing

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Growing Peace For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-03-23), IceCalibur (27-03-23), V8 (20-03-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

CBD strains are sorta garlicky, may be worth looking into that.

There have been news articles on people's houses being targeted by the unofficials, only to realise that they had grown other totally innocent as well as legal plants that smell like The Herb, and hence the confusion. So if you are looking at growing outdoors, consider that as well. Be safe out there.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-05-23), Growing Peace (16-05-23), MrG (11-05-23)

Thanks

I can add a little here. Mint does not do the job of masking, I never smell mint despite having 2 big mint plants in garden they smell
    only when you rub your hand through unfortunately. The night scented stock sounds like a good cool and a useful tip I will try. What I have found is it tends
    to drift and blend with other scents. Honeysucke is good but it needs to be in full flower and you need a lot of flower buds to cover the smell of
    herb. I do suggest getting the right lower odour strain from the outset.

The key is to vent often or continuously so it does not build up into a giant intense weed cloud. A large stiff piece of carboard is a useful ally
    in venting and wafting build ups away. They pong more the warmer it is and the more humid it is.

My suggestion is to not push everything too far. Do not push to the limits of what you can get away with. For example I grow small and compact
    I have 2 plants in full flower and they can be barely smelt in open air. Just an occasional whiff and odour is never more than 2m away. That is quite well contained
    and they are so compact from a distance they don't look like weed. You can put large plants on the opposite side of the sun to block view.

However my needs are very small 14 grammes a year. Big plants equal big smells. For large plants getting right strain is key. I read many times Northern lights is fairly low odour, Avoid anything with Diesel, Cheese, sour or Chem dawg in the name as I found from a topic on the smelliest strains. Good luck.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AutoMicroClub For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-23)