Thread: Strains to help with anxiety, and depression?

Thanks

Question Strains to help with anxiety, and depression?

I've looked up a few, and seen some via Leafly's compatibility quizzes. In the past I've come across some good strains- never was picked up from the store though, so no record. smh.

Jack Herer (kinda wanted to try)
    Northern Lights (sleepy though??)

\\
    Negatives: anxiety, depression, paranoia, shakiness, dry-eyes

Positives: uplifted, awakeness, energy, calming

Does anyone recommend any strains that seem to work better in edibles? (low sugar bonus)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maelasae For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-23), Jingo (12-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,728 Times

A lot of the negatives you list are more likely in weed you get in a dispensary, usually it comes down to not being ready for harvest or pesticides.

Why not grow a few autos and experiment?

J
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), scoot (13-05-23), Valentina (12-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

Some indicas can increase being introverted and introspective, even some levels of feeling of doom. So for that, my vote goes to the Jack Herrer out of the two that you have listed. Blue Dream gets good reviews, perhaps look for a Blue Dream CBD and see if that suits you?
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), MikeDeezXXX (13-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks

For edibles, you might want to try strains that are high in CBD and low in THC. CBD can provide a calming effect and help with anxiety, while the low THC content can reduce the likelihood of paranoia or shakiness

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Growing Peace For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), MikeDeezXXX (13-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks

NL is a classic and popular strain known for its relaxing and sedative effects, which may be helpful for those seeking relief from anxiety and stress. Last time I tried it from Herbies, was good

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Growing Peace For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), MrG (12-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,493 Times

I'd go for the NL too it's infamous for the reasons you are looking for. Jack Herer is in anyone top 5/10 fantastic taste and smoke but a longer flower time than a lot of others. Can be up to 13 weeks which is why the cash croppers don't run it anymore.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

barney_b (16-06-23), Blue61 (13-05-23), GEORGE (13-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,493 Times

OG kush is another good one. Will just switch you off so you feel nothing at all lol.

Hope you find what you are looking for man.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (13-05-23), GEORGE (13-05-23), Maelasae (12-05-23), scoot (13-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

I've done so much research into this...

There are MASSIVE issues with any "guides" you get online - they're all bro science and are based on absolutely nothing but personal experience and/or hearsay.

The two biggest problems is strain stability and personal reaction.

Historically, Grandaddy Purple is always near or top of any online guidance for a "medical" strain however who can possibly know these days which "version" of GDP they refer to? 99% of them are just copied and pasted from previous guides and I suspect that might have been relevant when the original strain was developed but 20 years down the line who on earth knows if the current cultivars share those same properties. Truth is no one.

Not only that, but you then have to factor in each persons relationship with the specific strain and the harvest time of that specific plant. There is a massive difference in the effects you get from a plant harvested mostly cloudy with a few clear trichomes to one that's mostly amber, even in the same strain.

The other side of this is CBD/THC. There is absolutely clear scientific evidence that CBD is beneficial for a whole range of issues, including anxiety. There is currently limited evidence that THC shares that same benefit but lets face it, we all like to get stoned...

If you want to go with the science then currently a heavily CBD strain with next to no THC is the only proven approach but it's not going to get you stoned. If you want to get stoned then if you go with historic guidance then Grandaddy Purple is definitely near the top of any list as is Amnesia Haze and Northern Lights if you can get really good originals.

The other option is to go for a 50/50 CBD strain - there's plenty of them about and I grew a White Widow 50/50 which does the biz, doesn't get you totally stoned but has the right relaxing effects. That said I personally prefer heavy amber "couchlock" harvesting which I find is the most beneficial from a pain perspective.

But the only REAL way to know is either find a proper medical dispensary where the quality, consistency and potency of the bud is very tightly monitored and controlled and ask there. If you're in a country like the UK who want to lock people up for life for so much as looking at a spliff then the only recommendation is to find a highly reputable seedbank you can have faith in the stability and origin of the seed and experiment. Not the fastest way to do it but your relationship with your bud is very personal so outside medical dispensaries, there's really no other way to find out what's going to work for you.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (16-06-23), GEORGE (13-05-23), Maelasae (15-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times