Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safety first and fire / Alarm + Extinguisher

samhain Guest

Default Safety first and fire / Alarm + Extinguisher

Shit happen's , sometimes it happen's to me sometimes to you .
    I have a safe pass for working on building sites , this is a day course to educate construction worker's .
    The truth of the matter is you are you'r own safety officer .
    So let's talk about safety , all input welcome
    Like rule # 1 in growing = don't tell any one and get caught

RULE # 1 Get a smoke alarm , and check it regulary , change the batteries if needed Quality brand batt's are best . Make sure it work's
    Or use a 120V smoke detector on a light circuit if possible. This eliminates any batteries and also allows you to link all alarms in the house for quicker warnings

RULE # 2 get a powder fire extingisher , powder is safe to use on an electrical fire , they come in a range of sizes .

RULE # 3 have a plan as like i say shit happen's , how will you tackle a fire in this situation ?
    The grow and all you'r euipment is irrelevent over your and others safety , fire's KILL where is your nearest safe exit ...

Class C is important to us unless you can kill the electrical supply , then you can use water . C02 work's also but can reignite .

Class A extinguishers are for ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, and most plastics. The numerical rating on these types of extinguishers indicates the amount of water it holds and the amount of fire it can extinguish.

Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. The numerical rating for class B extinguishers indicates the approximate number of square feet of fire it can extinguish.

Class C fires involve electrical equipment, such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Never use water to extinguish class C fires - the risk of electrical shock is far too great! Class C extinguishers do not have a numerical rating. The C classification means the extinguishing agent is non-conductive.

Class D fire extinguishers are commonly found in a chemical laboratory. They are for fires that involve combustible metals, such as magnesium, titanium, potassium and sodium. These types of extinguishers also have no numerical rating, nor are they given a multi-purpose rating - they are designed for class D fires only.

Dry chemical extinguishers come in a variety of types and are suitable for a combination of class A, B and C fires. These are filled with foam or powder and pressurized with nitrogen.
    BC - This is the regular type of dry chemical extinguisher. It is filled with sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. The BC variety leaves a mildly corrosive residue which must be cleaned immediately to prevent any damage to materials.
    ABC - This is the multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher. The ABC type is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky residue that may be damaging to electrical appliances such as a computer

Dry chemical extinguishers have an advantage over CO2 extinguishers since they leave a non-flammable substance on the extinguished material, reducing the likelihood of re-ignition.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) extinguishers are used for class B and C fires. CO2 extinguishers contain carbon dioxide, a non-flammable gas, and are highly pressurized. The pressure is so great that it is not uncommon for bits of dry ice to shoot out the nozzle. They don't work very well on class A fires because they may not be able to displace enough oxygen to put the fire out, causing it to re-ignite.
    CO2 extinguishers have an advantage over dry chemical extinguishers since they don't leave a harmful residue - a good choice for an electrical fire on a computer or other favorite electronic device such as a stereo or TV.

Automatic Dry Powder Extinguisher 6kg
    A automatic dry powder fire extinguisher designed to be fully automatic. The unit is a stored pressure type with a mixture of dry powder and nitrogen, as the fire reaches the temperature specified on the glass bulb it shatters allowing the dry powder to be released under pressure over a wide area.

•Fully refillable
    •Complete with roof mounting bracket
    •Activation Temp is 68°C
    http://www.apexfire.ie/product-detai...guisher-6kg/20
    Last edited by Eggbox; 06-09-10 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Making vid work

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samhain For This Useful Post:

dragonboizee (03-03-10), vdubber (02-03-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

Thread stickied. Been meaning to put up a thread on this recently as it's possibly one of the MOST overlooked things I'm seeing these days - people need to understand how important they are, and unfortunately the instances that shock a lot of people into never ever forgetting the above again are the kind of ones that can destroy lives

Stay safe y'all

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggbox For This Useful Post:

samhain Guest

Talking talk about bad luck

Thank's eggbox . Feel free anyone to copy and paste this info .
    Or advise on editing or adding , deleting .
    Been working on this ever since i read our skuff's run of bad luck
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...about+bad+luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please be carefull and aware folk's / last thing you need is the brigade tending a growroom fire as they will phone the police .
    And remember they use water and that destroy's property .
    Stay safe everyone

samhain Guest

Hi

Mon 15th Feb 10

A house being used as a cannabis factory caught fire in the early hours of Sunday morning in Windsor.

Firefighters were called to the terraced property in Ellison Close at 4am to attend the blaze, which they said broke out in the staircase.

Police said they found cannabis growing in the living room and bedroom of the house, which was being rented but no-one was present.

Householders from nearby properties were also briefly evacuated at 7am after concerns were raised about the safety of the building.

Police officers guarded the property throughout the night and cordoned off the area.
    Fire crews from Windsor and Slough fire stations finally left the incident at 12.32pm.

The police and fire service said investigations are ongoing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    .maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-14942-blaze-at-cannabis-factory/

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,875 Times

Thanks for the info, however before I setup my grow I purchased a new smoke alarm (£39.99 for 2) from BnQ and already had a fully working fire extinguisher (Powder) in my home (Which is New). If I hear the alarm go off then I will get my family out of the house and then try and tackle the fire if its small enough. If not then the firebrigade can deal with it.

Thanks for the info though, much appreciated

Thanks

2nd thing iv bought after my seeds...a 10kg automatic fire extinguisher....cant go wrong...found it a reasonable price ...the 6kg would probably be fine...but it was only an extra £15 or so...and added piece of mind..cant really put a price on that now can we fella's....

and a question for ya samhain, had no idea about these auto fire extinguishers...so thanks for that for starters...

mine is set to go off at 68c ...should be ok for this application right ? and also if this does go off...whats the best way to clean up the mess as you say it can be a harmful residue..im guessing a 10kh one will create abit of a mess...
    Last edited by WaterBong; 22-02-10 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks

thats wot i found inside my balest wen my 6er gave out and filled my house with smoke (i bobed it lol) iv moved on to a digi now and would say thay are much safer than the older type imo . but yes shit dose happen and most time its wen ya in bed so grow safe and be happy

noodle
    Just chillin in ma long johns reading about plants. And it's ten plants max man. Don't be an idiot new guy .

samhain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBong View Post
    2nd thing iv bought after my seeds...a 10kg automatic fire extinguisher....cant go wrong...found it a reasonable price ...the 6kg would probably be fine...but it was only an extra £15 or so...and added piece of mind..cant really put a price on that now can we fella's....

and a question for ya samhain, had no idea about these auto fire extinguishers...so thanks for that for starters...

mine is set to go off at 68c ...should be ok for this application right ? and also if this does go off...whats the best way to clean up the mess as you say it can be a harmful residue..im guessing a 10kh one will create abit of a mess...
    Thank's glad to help and keep us all aware and safe .
    To answer you'r Q , at 68C you'r plant's will be withering and dying regardless .
    So yes it's right .
    The dry powder can be quite corrosive to metals such as aluminum and are also potentially abrasive .They also make a terrible mess - but if the choice is a fire or a mess, take the mess!
    Dry powder Type ABC fire extinguishers contain ammonium phosphate.
    "For this reason, dry chemical ABC extinguishers are not recommended for use on aircraft or electronics such as computers, MRI scanners, and scientific instruments. Boeing has stated in a service letter "Dry chemical extinguishers can cause extensive corrosion damage to airplane structure, electrical systems, and electronic equipment...Dry chemical fire extinguishers should only be used for airplane firefighting if there are no other extinguishers available and there is imminent danger to property or personnel."
    http://www.ilpi.com/safety/extinguishers.html
    Thank's noodle / Wrams

Thanks

thanks for the info..

and yes take the mess over a fire anydays

samhain Guest

The Scotsman

Published Date: 22 February 2010
    By MICHAEL HOWIE

LANDLORDS will have to have their properties registered and inspected by local authorities under plans to stamp out Scotland's growing cannabis scourge.
    Owners could also be hit by massive repair bills for damage caused to their properties by weed gangs under plans being pushed by Scotland's largest police force.

The moves would make landlords responsible for damage if their flats and houses are taken over by illegal Chinese cannabis farmers who have infiltrated Scotland's towns and cities.

Insurers have agreed to consider an urgent plea from Strathclyde Police to make homeowners liable for all damage a move that would leave landlords facing bills between a few hundred pounds to hundreds of thousands of pounds if they let their properties fall into the wrong hands. Nearly 1,000 properties in Scotland are thought to be turned into cannabis hothouses every year in an industry police reckon is worth up to £120 million annually more than the value of Scotland's entire vegetable crop.

Britain's home insurers will meet next month to discuss radical proposals put forward by police to strangle the supply of flats and houses that are being converted into cannabis hothouses producing 400,000 high-strength cannabis plants every year.

Police hope that insurance companies will agree to insert clauses into policies that will mean landlords, who between them rent out about 230,000 properties across Scotland, will no longer be protected if their property is damaged by cannabis growers.

"We want landlords to be responsible for who they let their properties to," said Detective Inspector Joe McLaughlan, second-in-command of Operation League, the country's national cannabis farm crackdown that began in late 2006.

"At the moment, when police discover a cannabis factory and there's £5,000 worth of damage, the owner can claim it on the insurance.

"What we're proposing is that landlords will have to be registered, along with their properties, which will have to be inspected."

Some 264 cannabis factories have been discovered across Scotland since December 2006, containing more than 120,000 plants with a street value of £37m but police believe the actual number of cultivations could be ten times greater.

Six farms have been busted already this year, including at a house in the Cardonald area of Glasgow where 500 plants worth £100,000 were discovered.

More than 280 arrests have been made – three-quarters of whom have been illegal Chinese immigrants.

A string of cannabis factories have been busted in Scotland due to devastating fires breaking out because of the heat generated by the equipment used to grow the plants causing hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Thousands of pounds worth of damage can also be caused to homes by cannabis gangs who knock holes in the ceiling for ventilation, leave large screws in walls for lighting and reroute the power supply to avoid paying the electricity bills.

Norwich Union is one of only a few insurance companies that have refused to cover claims from landlords whose homes have been wrecked.

But that looks set to change with other major insurers agreeing to discuss the plea from police – who think electricity companies will be able to make civil claims from homeowners for the millions of pounds worth of power stolen by the crooks.

Malcolm Tarling, spokesman for the Association of British Insurers, said: "We have received a paper from Strathclyde Police and will discuss it at a meeting of our members.

"We have agreed to look at the issues raised."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast