Thread: where's the smell gone!?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,371 Times

Default where's the smell gone!?

So I harvested back at the end of September, and a vast majority of the harvest has been curing since around Oct..
    So around 3 months in total.
    I used grove bags, and the humidity has held at around 62- 64 rh%

So I thought I'd have a little look at the buds and was expecting to be hit by dank smells, but literally they don't smell... Or it's a very very faint smell and a bit like hay but not even the hay is that detectable...
    The buds look all in good order , no mold etc but I just can't believe I've lost the smell.....

Surely 3 months is long enough in the bags for the smell to return?

Would the fact the bags have held towards the higher end of the curing humidity stop the smells from returning?
    I would have thought it would have smelled more being very slightly more humid ?

Any advice?
    I'm a bit unsure wether just to try a different curing method next harvest...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stealthbonger For This Useful Post:

scoot (30-01-24), Sun&Soil (30-01-24), TightNugs (30-01-24)

3. Default

Hmm interesting, I've never actually used grove bags so I'm interested to read some views from those that have.

Out of curiosity, if you rub the buds a little, does this 're-activate' the smell?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

scoot (30-01-24), Sun&Soil (30-01-24), TightNugs (30-01-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,371 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hmm interesting, I've never actually used grove bags so I'm interested to read some views from those that have.

Out of curiosity, if you rub the buds a little, does this 're-activate' the smell?
    Very very subtly mate, I'm not sure how the terps have evaporated so much, it was pretty strong smelling buds prior to sealing up the bags...

Temps where I store the bags rarely goes about 17deg C, and like I say the bags have held the humidity fine... Just somehow the smells gone.

There's around 6 Oz there, and I got all out the bag, and you'd have no worries of creating a smell...
    I'm bit miffed

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthbonger For This Useful Post:

scoot (30-01-24), Sun&Soil (30-01-24)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbonger View Post
    Very very subtly mate, I'm not sure how the terps have evaporated so much, it was pretty strong smelling buds prior to sealing up the bags...

Temps where I store the bags rarely goes about 17deg C, and like I say the bags have held the humidity fine... Just somehow the smells gone.

There's around 6 Oz there, and I got all out the bag, and you'd have no worries of creating a smell...
    I'm bit miffed
    Doesn't make sense at all, so I feel your pain bud..

You seem to have kept them within what's considered ideal conditions temp wise, I tend to keep mine around 18-21c. The grove bags themselves keep the humidity in check, so this is a head scratcher for sure.

Hopefully, someone with some experience with these grove bags will peek in to share some thoughts on this.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

scoot (30-01-24), stealthbonger (29-01-24), Sun&Soil (30-01-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,922 Times

Grind up your buds and you should get smacked with them terpes.

The outside surface area has oxidized and trapped all of that deliciousness inside. They probably feel dry to the touch as well. When you grind them, or break them apart you should get into the good stuff.

Think of it like a protective covering that traps the volatile flavor inside. This is a good thing otherwise all of those smells and flavors would vanish fast.

If your stank is still missing after grinding then try drying your next harvest at a slower pace using a little more humidity and a cooler temp. It also help to leave them attached to the stems if possible.

It's exciting to harvest after months of growing, but patience is a must when drying otherwise all of those yummy terpes and flavinoids go out the window faster then you can trap them.

Hope this helps.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

IceCalibur (30-01-24), MrG (30-01-24), scoot (30-01-24), skunkybucket (31-01-24), stealthbonger (30-01-24), TightNugs (30-01-24)