Thread: Runoff EC is different at different depths.

Thanks

Question Runoff EC is different at different depths.

Hi, I'm trying to get an accurate measuremnt of my runoff EC but it's lower at the top of the water and higher at the bottom, say 1.5 at the top but 2.5 at the bottom.

The run off goes straight into the trays under the pots and I measure it right in there.

Why is it different at different depths and how do I know the actual EC of the run off?

Thanks
    Bendy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bendy Yoga For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-04-24), MrG (02-04-24), ValdtheImpotent (02-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,575 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy Yoga View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to get an accurate measuremnt of my runoff EC but it's lower at the top of the water and higher at the bottom, say 1.5 at the top but 2.5 at the bottom.

The run off goes straight into the trays under the pots and I measure it right in there.

Why is it different at different depths and how do I know the actual EC of the run off?

Thanks
    Bendy
    When measuring runoff you need to be collecting the last few bits that come from the pots. This will give you an accurate reading.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-04-24), Bendy Yoga (03-04-24), Blue61 (02-04-24), ValdtheImpotent (02-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,500 Times

You probably have salt build up on the bottom of the trays.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-04-24), Bendy Yoga (03-04-24), MrG (02-04-24), ValdtheImpotent (02-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

Sedimentary, my dear Watson

Sent from Asgard

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-04-24), Bendy Yoga (03-04-24), MrG (03-04-24), ValdtheImpotent (03-04-24)

Thanks

So, the runoff EC can differ because of how nutrients spread out in the water. Mixing runoff from different spots in the tray before measuring can give you a better idea of what's going on.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tangytaste For This Useful Post:

B1unt (04-04-24), Loki (03-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tangytaste View Post
    So, the runoff EC can differ because of how nutrients spread out in the water. Mixing runoff from different spots in the tray before measuring can give you a better idea of what's going on.
    Yeah, my trays get quite a bit of sediment on the bottom, this would be sky high EC if I probed it, even after mixing it, the EC would be high. Saying that though, if you let the runoff build up from several waterings, the numbers will be a bit unreliable. To get a trueish test, you would want to collect the water straight after watering and test it. Also, if you skip the odd day of watering, the EC will be really high on the day after skipping

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

4 fingered Fred (04-04-24), B1unt (04-04-24), Mr Cream Cheese (04-04-24), MrG (03-04-24)