Thread: Is Moorland multi purpose compost any good, looks amazing

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,348 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Default Answered: Is Moorland multi purpose compost any good, looks amazing

Over the last few years I have been speaking to the recycle centre and the local garden centre, they said a small amount of household waste is chopped up and mixed into the compost, that's why I often find bits of plastics etc in the compost from the local garden centre, the other problem is reducing peat moss in the compost, there replacing it with something else, the results tend to be low quality compost full of crap and sticks.
    Moorland multi purpose compost is peat moss with organic matter mix, seems to good to be true, anyone tried it?
    might even be a good idea to mix 50/50 with coco.

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    Over the last few years I have been speaking to the recycle centre and the local garden centre, they said a small amount of household waste is chopped up and mixed into the compost, that's why I often find bits of plastics etc in the compost from the local garden centre, the other problem is reducing peat moss in the compost, there replacing it with something else, the results tend to be low quality compost full of crap and sticks.
    Moorland multi purpose compost is peat moss with organic matter mix, seems to good to be true, anyone tried it?
    Haven’t tried it CHG, if it’s got peat moss in it I’d grab it while you can, by the end of 2024 It’s going to be banned for UK sale.

I’ve been using Levingtons John Innes 2 for years, the original formula was 7 parts sterilised loam, 3 parts peat moss, 2 parts sharp sand for the soil component, and a base fertiliser mix in varying quantities for the different potting mixes, John Innes 1,2 and 3. The new peat free formula substitutes the peat moss with either wood fibre, coir or bark.

Judging by what I’ve seen in the bags I’ve recently purchased Levingtons chose wood fibre, it doesn’t work anywhere near as well. I find my pots drying out much quicker and I’m using more nutrient on my grows. The increase in nutrients I’m using isn’t really an issue for me but the pots drying out quicker is, I’m not always home to water every day. I mentioned this in my diary and B1unt suggested adding coir, which I think is a bloody good shout, although I’ve not got round to trying it yet.

On my current grow I’ve tried running the compost through a garden sieve, I got a fair bit of the wood fibre out, then I added a similar quantity of vermiculite. It seems to be working ok but the plants are still quite small, in 2ltr pots under CFL.
    I’m potting them up again today to get them ready for the flower room (400w MH / HPS) I’ll be doing the same, sieve it, then replace the wood fibre with vermiculite to aid water and nutrient retention. If that doesn’t work I’ll try adding coir on the final pot up before going 12/12."

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,506 Times
    Provided Answers: 66

I'm a muck grower this 15 years I stopped for a few years and am on my first grow with this peat free shit . Not near the same I'm planning on going hydro unless I can get real soil again lol I used westlands for years and went with there version this time. If its proper muck I'd go for it mucker

Up the irons

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The budda For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (29-04-24), ValdtheImpotent (29-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,298 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    Haven’t tried it CHG, if it’s got peat moss in it I’d grab it while you can, by the end of 2024 It’s going to be banned for UK sale.

I’ve been using Levingtons John Innes 2 for years, the original formula was 7 parts sterilised loam, 3 parts peat moss, 2 parts sharp sand for the soil component, and a base fertiliser mix in varying quantities for the different potting mixes, John Innes 1,2 and 3. The new peat free formula substitutes the peat moss with either wood fibre, coir or bark.

Judging by what I’ve seen in the bags I’ve recently purchased Levingtons chose wood fibre, it doesn’t work anywhere near as well. I find my pots drying out much quicker and I’m using more nutrient on my grows. The increase in nutrients I’m using isn’t really an issue for me but the pots drying out quicker is, I’m not always home to water every day. I mentioned this in my diary and B1unt suggested adding coir, which I think is a bloody good shout, although I’ve not got round to trying it yet.

On my current grow I’ve tried running the compost through a garden sieve, I got a fair bit of the wood fibre out, then I added a similar quantity of vermiculite. It seems to be working ok but the plants are still quite small, in 2ltr pots under CFL.
    I’m potting them up again today to get them ready for the flower room (400w MH / HPS) I’ll be doing the same, sieve it, then replace the wood fibre with vermiculite to aid water and nutrient retention. If that doesn’t work I’ll try adding coir on the final pot up before going 12/12.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (29-04-24), MrG (30-04-24)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,348 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ValdtheImpotent View Post

I’m potting them up again today to get them ready for the flower room (400w MH / HPS) I’ll be doing the same, sieve it, then replace the wood fibre with vermiculite to aid water and nutrient retention. If that doesn’t work I’ll try adding coir on the final pot up before going 12/12.
    Last year I Brought 2 large bags, Think they where 100ltrs each, (Irish Sphagnum Moss Peat), I still have them and now I have 20 x 40ltr bags(800ltrs) of the Moorland multi purpose compost(cost £95), so i have closer to 1000ltrs of peat moss, sounds a lot, I will reuse it a few times, but that will go in a few years, don't know what to do after that, time will tell.
    If I mix it with coco 50/50, can I reuse it a few times or does the coco break down ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

MrG (30-04-24)