Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my reflector

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Default Pimp my reflector

I was using one 125w red CFL for my entire grow but had acquired 3 more 125w CFLs (red) from fleabay, the idea being to use two in my grow room, rest my current bulb & have a spare.

The problem was that I can only fit one reflector in my room so I had to think about the problem from a different angle. The obvious answer is to have 2 125w CFLs under the one reflector. After a lot of thought I decided to give it ago....

This was my grow room so you have some idea of the problem

(the 2nd lamp in there is just hanging and only there whilst I do the 'adjustments' to stop the plants having an extra dark period)

Parts required:
    A length of laminate floor!! (or anything else yu have that will do the job)
    1x E40 light fitting
    A length of 2 core wire
    1 terminal block
    6 nut and bolts (your old ones wont fit this mod)
    A length of gardening wire

Firstly strip down your reflector, removing wire light fitting, screws and plastic gromit (I hadn't removed the gromit at this point )

Cut a 'T' shaped bit of laminate floor using your 'old' light bracket as a guide for width (mine was 8cm)

Make sure that the T section is going to fit inside the reflector & trim down as required...

Using the holes already in your bracket and the light fittings, mark and drill mounting holes as required in your T section

Now you can attatch the light holders after you have wired them

With the light holders secure you can then attatch the T section to the origional reflector light bracket

Double check at this point that everything is good by adding the bulbs and ensuring that your distances are good

Because of the extra weight of the new bracket & extra light this is a good time to drill a couple of small holes in the reflector at the end of the CFLs so you can use a bit of wire to secure them so they wont droop when you put the reflector back into place

You can now wire both bulbs to one side of the terminal block and your power cable to the other - don't forget to reuse the earth strap!

Put everything back in the grow room, rehang the reflector & switch on...

Job done, reflector pimped & plants happy

There are a couple extra pics in my 'pimp my reflector' album if you want to take a look.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AllAboutM.E (26-03-10), burnotice (17-05-10), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), CockRoach (08-04-10), greenlife (11-01-11), J420 (25-07-10), needsmust (28-02-11), Sativa Steve (23-03-11), shark (13-05-10), spliffy2007 (08-12-10), starchild (13-05-10), TDiXoN (19-06-10), THE DUDE ABIDES (12-01-11), TheGreenMachine (20-03-10), vdubber (06-03-10), Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

lol thats well good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to calis finest For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

niceeeeee good thinkin batman
    I Don't Fuck Around

6. The Following User Says Thank You to massivemick For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

Very constructive repurposing of a reflector for dual lights! Though it seems with your cabinet size, you'd probably be just as well off putting the lights at the top and letting the entire inside reflective area handle it, so you have more overall space for the plants.

Awesome, nonetheless! I certainly wouldn't try that with dual 400w HPS lamps!
    Party hardy, Rock & Roll!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hotboxfox For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

Nice one mate, that's inspired me, its exactly what I need. I'm using 2 reflectors held together with clips. Then I swapped a 125 for a 250 and of course it doesn't fit properly.

Cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GrassHopper For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotboxfox View Post
    Very constructive repurposing of a reflector for dual lights! Though it seems with your cabinet size, you'd probably be just as well off putting the lights at the top and letting the entire inside reflective area handle it, so you have more overall space for the plants.

Awesome, nonetheless! I certainly wouldn't try that with dual 400w HPS lamps!
    Daft as it may sound, considering the size of the room, if I don't keep the light right down on the plants they stretch like mad - and then I really do have issues with hight

LOL at the idea of a 400w HPS in there... I think the fire brigade would have to be on standby

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery_Customer View Post
    Daft as it may sound, considering the size of the room, if I don't keep the light right down on the plants they stretch like mad - and then I really do have issues with hight

LOL at the idea of a 400w HPS in there... I think the fire brigade would have to be on standby
    I've had a 400w HPS in an 8cu.ft. box, and it took one HUGE fan and ducting to keep it cool!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hotboxfox For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

nice one mystery......................have seen quite a few posts regarding cfl reflectors so i'm sure this will help out quite a few ppl who are scratching their heads

well done that man

sticky ???

pffffffffff

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mashedupmark For This Useful Post:

Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

Genius... Good thinking mate !!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markoose For This Useful Post:

M_C (02-03-10), Wrams (12-05-10)

Thanks

Well impressed, might have to have a go at something similar for my veg room, cheers for posting!!
    Vdubber

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vdubber For This Useful Post:

M_C (02-03-10), Wrams (12-05-10)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast