Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my reflector

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

depends of what your definition of "sticky" is dunnit MC? lol

cracking adaptation tho mate was pondering doing this the with 2x400w the other night and then realised id have to buy a new ballast anyway so may aswell get another cheapo shade but i like pimping shit too lol
    congrats man and remember i spotted your talents 1st "cough"woodbutchers arms"cough"so dont forget me now your a big star lol
    cock

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,875 Times

Nice idea this is, I have seen something simular in Green's Holiculture as a double CFL shade which I did think about purchasing at one point then decided on getting 2 x single shades having enough room to hang 2 of them side by side in my DR 120 was perfect for covering the entire area. I see how you utilized the space and now have 250watts of CFL s at your disposal. Good job, I am thinking of doing this with an old CFL shade I have and don't use anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrams For This Useful Post:

M_C (13-05-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

It was the double CFL reflectors that gave me the idea, I was going to buy one but couldn't fit one in my grow room so I had to improvise
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Cell-Out Champion! Tritryst Champion!
    Thanks

Anyone know how to make a reflector for a 250w CFL BEAST?

Any ideas?

I have the bulb and socket/wire/plug..

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

ViK made a cheap DIY jobby for his 125w CFLs, I would imagine that it would suit a 250w too - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...1139#post61139

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

frost313 (17-05-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery_Customer View Post
    I was using one 125w red CFL for my entire grow but had acquired 3 more 125w CFLs (red) from fleabay, the idea being to use two in my grow room, rest my current bulb & have a spare.

The problem was that I can only fit one reflector in my room so I had to think about the problem from a different angle. The obvious answer is to have 2 125w CFLs under the one reflector. After a lot of thought I decided to give it ago....

This was my grow room so you have some idea of the problem

(the 2nd lamp in there is just hanging and only there whilst I do the 'adjustments' to stop the plants having an extra dark period)

Parts required:
    A length of laminate floor!! (or anything else yu have that will do the job)
    1x E40 light fitting
    A length of 2 core wire
    1 terminal block
    6 nut and bolts (your old ones wont fit this mod)
    A length of gardening wire

Firstly strip down your reflector, removing wire light fitting, screws and plastic gromit (I hadn't removed the gromit at this point )

Cut a 'T' shaped bit of laminate floor using your 'old' light bracket as a guide for width (mine was 8cm)

Make sure that the T section is going to fit inside the reflector & trim down as required...

Using the holes already in your bracket and the light fittings, mark and drill mounting holes as required in your T section

Now you can attatch the light holders after you have wired them

With the light holders secure you can then attatch the T section to the origional reflector light bracket

Double check at this point that everything is good by adding the bulbs and ensuring that your distances are good

Because of the extra weight of the new bracket & extra light this is a good time to drill a couple of small holes in the reflector at the end of the CFLs so you can use a bit of wire to secure them so they wont droop when you put the reflector back into place

You can now wire both bulbs to one side of the terminal block and your power cable to the other - don't forget to reuse the earth strap!

Put everything back in the grow room, rehang the reflector & switch on...

Job done, reflector pimped & plants happy

There are a couple extra pics in my 'pimp my reflector' album if you want to take a look.
    Don't know why you earthed the wood/plaster board, i hope you have earth the reflector as its a conductor lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbassline View Post
    Don't know why you earthed the wood/plaster board, i hope you have earth the reflector as its a conductor lol
    Look again, the metal bracket is on the otherside of that bolt thats been earthed, and as that connects to the reflector the whole lot is earthed. I don't think electrics are your strong point are they ?
    Check out my grows 1st Homegrown (done) and Mellows going for gold

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Using that timer would be like wanking with a handful of razorblades.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MellowYellow For This Useful Post:

BURNZ (25-07-10), CockRoach (25-07-10), M_C (26-07-10), Naxx (25-07-10), Wrams (25-07-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,289 Times

Absolutely brillient! I have been standing and looking at my reflector thinking of ways to fit two lightbulbs under there 2x200w though but I will give this a try, got another thing I will do first I think but this is a great idea!
    Marijuana documentary's: Documentary's

Feel free to press the -Thanks- button to the lower left if I have been of help! : )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J420 For This Useful Post:

M_C (26-07-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,875 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
    Look again, the metal bracket is on the otherside of that bolt thats been earthed, and as that connects to the reflector the whole lot is earthed. I don't think electrics are your strong point are they ?
    I think sometimes people look and there brains don't kick into gear right away. I expect as soon as he seen it he thought "oh well to late"

However I love this shade and I was thinking of trying this with 2 x 600watt HPS or 2 x 400watt HPS, what do you think...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wrams View Post
    I think sometimes people look and there brains don't kick into gear right away. I expect as soon as he seen it he thought "oh well to late"

However I love this shade and I was thinking of trying this with 2 x 600watt HPS or 2 x 400watt HPS, what do you think...?
    Yeah m8 I'm not trying to fall out with anyone, I know we all make mistakes and get the wrong end of the stick, but that wasn't the first time, and TBH if your going to advise people on something, you ought to know what your talking about or make it clear that they ain't sure about the advice they are giving IMHO, especially with something serious like electrics.

The only thing I reckon you would have to watch out for with HIDS would be the heat build up under the hoods, I'd maybe add a couple of small fans to the hood to help reduce the heat buildup, certianly make sure there is a way for the heat to escape out the top of the hood.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast