• yes noise has reduced enough for the effort

46 73.02%
  • nope its pointless

17 26.98%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Cock's silent rvk guide

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Aye that's what really fucked me off about the whole exercise as I had seen it in action to great effect maself.
    To be honest the fan controller does the job and cos my fan is so big compared to ma growspace I never have it at more than 120v and is near-enough silent.
    I have to say that when you get the right type of fan-speed controller, by that I mean a decent one, that does it's job perfectly it reduces additional noise aswell as controlling the noise from the exhaust.
    My fan rests on a pillow to reduce vibration but apart from that it's totally exposed.
    Also if you have a substandard/budget controller that does not have the capacity to properly reduce the amount of electricity to slow the fan down then this leads to a 'humming' or 'buzzing' that comes from the motor on the side of the fan and can lead to burn-out of the motor and of course....FIRE

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

CockRoach (05-05-10), GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

id love one of those all action envronment controller things!! there so much ££££ tho - i wonder if anyone could actaully rig a homemade one? now that would be impressive!!
    shame about your foam/rvk shenanigins lol glad you got it sorted now tho, what do ya do just set the desired temps and away ya go?
    cock

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CockRoach For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

I have an 'AirForce sc840' controller Cock mate. Got it in a spawny deal from the guy at ma Growshop.
    Originally I bought a 'Primair Twin Fan Temp Controller' and it was shit so I took it back to the shop and the guy said "No problem, here have this" and hands me this controller. He says he fell out with the manufacturer and cos i'd bought alot of stuff it would be a straight swap for the Primair.
    Didn't look like much to me but guy said it was great so accepted his offer and home I went.
    I check on the net as soon as I get home and find that it's worth 142.00!!! I only paid 83.00 for tyhe other one so was well fuckin stoked as you can imagine.
    It's not a temp controlled fan but it's far and away the best bit of growkit i own.
    It works on voltage and has a max of 240 and down to 0. The dial is marked with the voltage and you turn to up or down according to the temp in your growspace. If you have consistent ambient temps or cool spot to grow in/near they are a piece of piss to use and get used to, also can maintain very accurate and consistent temps if you have the conditions I mentioned before.
    You can get an add-on temp controller for it but all that does is run your fan at an idle speed until the temp rises or drops off of the set temp and then shunts the fans to full pelt until the set temp is reached again and so on.....
    Absolutely ideal for the grower with space restrictions but wants to use an hps light. Expensive I know but I would honestly fork out the full amount for it after having now owned one. If it broke I would replace it without thought of cost.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

nice
    see at the mo i have a passive intake sytem but im looking at maybe getting another fan for summer (might not have to tho cos the new room im growing in is very cool even in summer like never higher than 22c when curtains are closed and +30c outside) because eventually ill be getting a 600w hps (400 at the mo) so the smart thing to do would be use the 5" i have now as intake and get a bigger fan for my cf maybe just a 6".
    just wondering if them temp controlled fans are cool to use as extraction with a cf? or is it just intake? they are for or both?

ta
    cock

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CockRoach For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

Aye for sure Cock mate! I've just finished a grow in a 1 x 1 x 1.8m tent with passive intake and 800mm Carbon filter and runnin on an average of about 90-110v my temps never exceeded 29 celcius the whole grow and were at 24/25for the most part. I had extraction to the outside aswell.
    I'm like you with the 'cool-spot' for growing in so I would put my neck out and say invest in one my friend and you will not be dissappointed!
    Oh aye, you can run up to 4 x 6" fans from it if you want and there are far more powerful versions out aswell if needed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

CockRoach (06-05-10), GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

The alternative diy style is to fix a step voltage controller to your fan and then a thermostat aswell.
    There is alot of fiddlin and fuckin about to get it to work properly and for all the hassle i'd rather pay for the superior/safer option.
    Look it up on Google and see........top quality piece of swag!
    And the warranty is 5yrs (i think)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

CockRoach (06-05-10), GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

you just made my day m8 been building my room (almost done) and was worried about the noise from the rvk, thanks for the info, this will be a big help.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizzyboy For This Useful Post:

CockRoach (07-05-10), GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

fan and filter came the other day on time which is always good, cant beleave the size of the thing, its a ruck 100 .. its mad?!? didnt expect this.. thought the box was a bit overkill untill i opened it, and the noise, sounds like a small air plane takin off when it starts. def gonna get round 2 making a box when it comes to germin the seeds when all is good... cheers again mate, ill let u no how it all goes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gbcheeky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

nice one cock same as myself but using thick blankets 7" nice......

FinishP

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FinishP For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

I might just add a wee bit to this for ya CR if thats ok?

What makes the sound reverberate is voids, gaps and spaces in between your packing. I noticed you used broken 'styrene to your muffler box, which is very similar to mine i might add. You will neagte all sound if you use a feather duvet or pillow, no voids, no sound.

Also inline centrifugal fans are self cooling internallty by the passage of air, you have no worries if you decide to fill the box with expanding foam as an alternative, you also wont quieten a CF mate, the best you will do is cap your exhaust with a sock, ladies tights are too thin and make little or no differnce, you need to break the flow of air to kill the sound.

The most efficient way of dampening the exhaust, and general extraction sound is to keep the lengths of ducting as horizontally or verticaly straight as possible, and any bend over 30degs will amplify the air sound by up to 50% - short straight lengths keep it quiet.

I only noticed this as its pretty much the same guide as an ex-member wrote a while back, except he, like myself also improved certain aspects which i hope to have added to this. You can always shoot me down in flames if you like, but they wont be flames from an expanding foam encased extractor fan in case you were worried

BTW, Ruck are quieter than RVK as well
    Last edited by starchild; 10-05-10 at 11:57 PM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to starchild For This Useful Post:

CockRoach (13-05-10), GEORGE (13-11-19), marcus (01-11-10), TheCloneRanger (10-03-14), tlh2496 (03-05-20)

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast