Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical 101

Thanks

If you follow the rules of thumb I've given they will be fine. Not all Immersion heater timers will handle an inductive load and that is probably why you had your problems. Also timers can fail because of badly made connections, loose neutrals giving the biggest problem. My proffesion means that I have to know what I'm talking about with this stuff, and I've the qualifications to say I know what I'm talking about. The only reason I won't ellaborate on that is for security. Though I will say that I'm approved by several regulating bodies including NICEIC.

At the end of the day, if people want to use a contactor, that's fine and perfectly safe. I'm not going to tell anyone that that is wrong, because it isn't. What is essential is that you pick the right components to work together.

Me, I'll just carry on using my £13.00 timer with my 500w of HPS lighting, safe in the knowlege that it will last for years, and not cause a fire.
    Check out my grows 1st Homegrown (done) and Mellows going for gold

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Using that timer would be like wanking with a handful of razorblades.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MellowYellow For This Useful Post:

pagan86 (28-07-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,408 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
    My proffesion means that I have to know what I'm talking about with this stuf
    Any chance of a bit of help please?

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...250w-hps-pls..

Thanks

Hi all i have just bought a Plug & Grow timer it has a max w of 3120w and it states it's a heavy duty timer that will take a 600w hps (that i also use) can someone tell me if i need a contact relay as well ??? want to make sure this is all done correctly.
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Icon View Post
    LISTEN UP GUYS

Please do not fall into the mistake of using emmersion heater timers. I used to use these years ago and had no end of problems with light failures and no i wasnt over loading them

The only truly reliable solution for our job is a proper controller/relay

Sos Mellow, not sure on your thoughts but I would not recommend them other then timers for controllers.
    I do agree they are better then the normal ones and they will certainly be less dangerous but from my point of view they were very unreliable.
    However if the load, ampage bla bla, are equal, or exceeding what you would have in a contactor then its just as safe. I would also imagine comparing the relaibility of eg a Grassling segmental, which most of us use with a contactor of some description, against an immersion heater timer, considering the differeing tasks, i would hazard a guess to say that a domestic safety product would have a better standard...I am sure Mello will correct us both

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RHINO_RECOVERY View Post
    Hi all i have just bought a Plug & Grow timer it has a max w of 3120w and it states it's a heavy duty timer that will take a 600w hps (that i also use) can someone tell me if i need a contact relay as well ??? want to make sure this is all done correctly.
    If the instructions state it will handle 600w HPS, then a contactor shouldn't be nessecarry. With any BS Kitemarked product, the manufacturers instructions are gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by starchild View Post
    However if the load, ampage bla bla, are equal, or exceeding what you would have in a contactor then its just as safe. I would also imagine comparing the relaibility of eg a Grassling segmental, which most of us use with a contactor of some description, against an immersion heater timer, considering the differeing tasks, i would hazard a guess to say that a domestic safety product would have a better standard...I am sure Mello will correct us both
    If both are BS Kitemarked, and you don't exceed the given ratings they are both equally as safe. The problems come in when either the ratings are exceeded, or the components are of poor quality. If you buy a quality assured product and calculate the loads correctly you are perfectly safe.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response here is the timer in question http://www.tradehydro.com/products/p...uty-timer.html It has no kite mark but stamped BS5733 & has the CE stamp on it that i think you see on kids toys.As i said before not wanting to take any risk & would like a second opinion from people in the know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RHINO_RECOVERY View Post
    Thanks for the quick response here is the timer in question http://www.tradehydro.com/products/p...uty-timer.html It has no kite mark but stamped BS5733 & has the CE stamp on it that i think you see on kids toys.As i said before not wanting to take any risk & would like a second opinion from people in the know

BS number is as good as a kitemark m8. Should be fine, did the instructions that came with it not give the ratings though ?

Thanks

The destructions only show you how to work the timer but it states on this site that it has the capability to switch a single 600w light.Would be good to here from some one who has used one for a few grows with no problem, on the back of the timer it has:

BND-50/E11
    CE
    IP44
    MAX 3120W
    13A

Don't mean to be a pest!!!
    also can you answer this off topic question that's been bugging me for ages,i need to know if i can harvest a plant for just the bud then put her back into veg as i would like to keep one for a mother?

Thanks

According to the manufacturers website it will do the job http://www.plugandgrow.co.uk/contactors.php personally I'd like to see the inductive rating, but when it's from the horses mouth you should be fine with it, so I wouldn't worry about using it with a 600w HPS.

I think you can re-veg but I'm not a growing expert (yet) so you might be best posting the question in the advanced growing section.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MellowYellow For This Useful Post:

pagan86 (28-07-10), RHINO_RECOVERY (13-07-10)

Thanks

Angry Shady timer

All is not well,went away for four days to come back and find that my Plun N Grow timer had failed got in contact with the syplyer here is there reply " I'm sorry you have a problem with the timer you bought from us on the 31st of May.

We've sold around 4000 of these timers in the past 3 years and although we've had a couple of failures due to the actual timing mechanism we've never had one fail in the way you mention.

These timers should be able to run an HPS ballast up to 600w and so it's difficult to understand how your 600w ballast has caused this problem.

The reason lighting timers have highly rated switching capabilities is because all grow lamps draw a very large start-up amperage, it's this initial surge which burns out lesser rated models. Mechanical ballasts deteriorate with age and should be changed every 18/24 months if they are constantly used. As they grow older they become more inefficient, and draw more power. It's possible that your ballast is drawing far more than it's original rating." is this true about the ballast??? it's not that any who as it's only six months old was just wondering about the lift expectancy of the ballast? here is a pic of the timer it looks like a spring has melted its way through the casing was going to open it for a look but would goose the warranty i have ordered a proper contact relay that should do 2 600w. You could say i'm lucky as i could have been a total loss : ( just like the wife said "if it's gona happen it will happen to me"
    Last edited by RHINO_RECOVERY; 17-08-10 at 03:43 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast