Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do i need a fan for small grow?

Bobbybacala Guest

Default Do i need a fan for small grow?

Hi. Im going to try growing for the first time, just one plant to see how it works.

Ill be using a cabinet i have thats about 3ft wide 3ft tall and 1ft depth. Im going to get a 250w dual spec cfl as dont want to use any of the other light sources becuase of the heat.

The only thing that is stopping me is the whole fan part. If i was to cut a couple of fan holes in there ill be busted by my mum for sure. Im a young adult, but prefer her not to know. So i searched on google for some advice and came across this...

..."Marijuana like all other plants puts out waste through the stomata on it's leaves. Outdoors wind, rain and sun are present to evaporate these toxins from the leaf surface. Indoors the marijuana grower must create an environment. The best way to do this is with a fan of some kind. If you are running a small closet operation then just opening the door twice a day to look at them will create enough air movement for healthy growth."

So i am asking you experienced growers, can i get away without a fan? Im not after any super crop right now, just something free to toke.

Thanks

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

a pc fan is ok..couldnt you use a pc to grow in? then she wouldnt tell if there was a plant in there..also the heat from the cfl may get pretty hot so yes a fan would be needed even if its for fresh air to being in and also you would need a extraction pc fan as well

Last edited by up2nogood; 23-08-10 at 01:14 PM.
    Looking for New Pastures

3. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Plants will survive with hardly any air flow. But plants need a good air.flow to become healthy. My advice is use one or two computer fans powered be a mobile phone charger. This method is cheap and they create hardly any noise, ideal for a small stealth grow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamonit For This Useful Post:

Valentina (30-07-17)

Thanks

and best of all YES you will need a fan, and a carbon filter with ducting of some type to get rid of the budding smell, or dont your mammy mind the smell then..research prevents red cheaks..

Bobbybacala Guest

Smell isnt an issue as ive been smoking in this room for years without her saying a word.

Ive read through the sticky at the top of this section, sharks guide, and i see it pretty simple to add fans although the phone charger idea would leave me on a fire paranoia!. Think im also going to use part of a wardrobe now instead of the cabinet. Totally excited at the whole idea. The pc case would be ideal but i dont have a spare (easy to find maybe but i have a wardrobe with a nice ledge so ill give this a go)

Another thing though as im only after one plant at a time,are feminised seeds guaranteed to be female, is this possible?

Thanks

blurry-vision Guest

Yeah fem seeds are in my experience very reliable but avoid Dutch Passion fems there the only ones I have had turn hermie and have heard from other sources that there not reliable, so my advice is to avoid them ones.

I've grown without extraction fans for ages with no bother(I just keep my tent doors open during lights on) but in a small space like yours it is probs necessary ! You also want an oscillating fan for internal air movement.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blurry-vision For This Useful Post:

BUD MIESTER (23-08-10)

mxc Guest

An oscillating fan will also strengthen the stems to support bigger/heavier buds to be grown.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mxc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mxc View Post
    An oscillating fan will also strengthen the stems to support bigger/heavier buds to be grown.
    wat he says also m8 u want nice stong stems so some air
    blowin about is essential-gid luk wi ur grow
    Current Smoke-amnesia lemon & cheesus

"May The Skunk Fairies Watch Kindly Over You!"
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to warpig For This Useful Post:

Thanks

you have planned for indoor right , the ventilation the ambient room airtemperature, humidity should get controlled, if those are good enough, fan is not reciter, but try for a cheaper exhaust fan,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybacala View Post
    Another thing though as im only after one plant at a time,are feminised seeds guaranteed to be female, is this possible?

Thanks
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I got five feminized Blue Mystic seeds from Nirvana. Germinated three. One never broke soil and the other two were fucking boys. What's more, Nirvana aren't answering my emails about it. You have been warned.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ariadne For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast