Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked and Breaking News; Finally Some Good News & Backbone!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,776 Times

Default Leaked and Breaking News; Finally Some Good News & Backbone!

http://peterreynolds.wordpress.com/2...-drugs-debate/

Tomorrow, Bob Ainsworth MP, former Home Office drugs minister and Secretary of State for Defence, will call for the legalisation and regulation of drugs. He is to lead a Parliamentary debate in Westminster Hall, at 2.30pm on Thursday 16th December 2010.

Great credit for this must go to the inestimable Transform Drug Policy Foundation, which has led the fight against prohibition. This is an extraordinary breakthrough. The news literally brought tears to my eyes. We have fought so long for such progress.

Mr Ainsworth said;

“I have just been reading the Coalition Government’s new Drugs Strategy. It is described by the Home Secretary as fundamentally different to what has gone before; it is not. To the extent that it is different, it is potentially harmful because it retreats from the principle of harm reduction, which has been one of the main reasons for the reduction in acquisitive crime in recent years.

However, prohibition has failed to protect us. Leaving the drugs market in the hands of criminals causes huge and unnecessary harms to individuals, communities and entire countries, with the poor the hardest hit. We spend billions of pounds without preventing the wide availability of drugs. It is time to replace our failed war on drugs with a strict system of legal regulation, to make the world a safer, healthier place, especially for our children. We must take the trade away from organised criminals and hand it to the control of doctors and pharmacists.

As drugs minister in the Home Office I saw how prohibition fails to reduce the harm that drugs cause in the UK, fuelling burglaries, gifting the trade to gangsters and increasing HIV infections. My experience as Defence Secretary, with specific responsibilities in Afghanistan, showed to me that the war on drugs creates the very conditions that perpetuate the illegal trade, while undermining international development and security.

My departure from the front benches gives me the freedom to express my long held view that, whilst it was put in place with the best of intentions, the war on drugs has been nothing short of a disaster.

Politicians and the media need to engage in a genuine and grown up debate about alternatives to prohibition, so that we can build a consensus based on delivering the best outcomes for our children and communities. I call on those on all sides of the debate to support an independent, evidence-based review, exploring all policy options, including: further resourcing the war on drugs, decriminalising the possession of drugs, and legally regulating their production and supply.

One way to do this would be an Impact Assessment of the Misuse of Drugs Act in line with the 2002 Home Affairs Select Committee finding – which included David Cameron – for the government to explore alternatives to prohibition, including legal regulation.

The re-legalisation of alcohol in the US after thirteen years of Prohibition was not surrender. It was a pragmatic move based on the government’s need to retake control of the illegal trade from violent gangsters. After 50 years of global drug prohibition it is time for governments throughout the world to repeat this shift with currently illegal drugs.”

Peter Lilley MP, former Conservative Party Deputy Leader said;

“The current approach to drugs has been an expensive failure, and for the sake of everyone, and the young in particular, it is time for all politicians to stop using the issue as a political football. I have long advocated breaking the link between soft and hard drugs – by legalising cannabis while continuing to prohibit hard drugs. But I support Bob Ainsworth’s sensible call for a proper, evidence based review, comparing the pros and cons of the current prohibitionist approach with all the alternatives, including wider decriminalisation, and legal regulation.”

Tom Brake MP, Co-Chair, Liberal Democrat Backbench Committee on Home Affairs, Justice and Equalities said;

“Liberal Democrats have long called for a science-based approach to our drugs problem. So it is without hesitation that I support Bob Ainsworth’s appeal to end party political point-scoring, and explore sensitively all the options, through an Impact Assessment of the Misuse of Drugs Act.”

Labour’s Paul Flynn MP, Founder Council Member of the British Medicinal Cannabis Register said;

“This could be a turning point in the failing UK ‘war on drugs.’ Bob Ainsworth is the persuasive, respected voice of the many whose views have been silenced by the demands of ministerial office. Every open rational debate concludes that the UK’s harsh drugs prohibition has delivered the worst outcomes in Europe – deaths, drug crime and billions of pounds wasted.”

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to New Age Outlaw For This Useful Post:

Adambomb (16-12-10), an-sic (16-12-10), Beatnik (15-12-10), Bitterfly (16-12-10), Br4d (16-12-10), bucketluggs (02-01-11), cannamancan (17-12-10), chroniccouple (17-12-10), cough (16-12-10), Eggbox (15-12-10), Father jack (15-12-10), GrassHopper (16-12-10), Grub (17-12-10), Hooter (15-12-10), humblepie (16-12-10), katy (15-12-10), Kayabis (16-12-10), kimbo420 (16-12-10), Mr_Bimble (16-12-10), Rotten Scarecrow (16-12-10), Sativa Steve (16-12-10), SupaGreen (15-12-10), theo14 (16-12-10), thunderfeck (16-12-10), TIKTOK (15-12-10), wheelchair (15-12-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,269 Times

i would be great,

i'm not holding my breath!
    ...the never ending journey on the edge of time...

Five years, not banned yet!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

New Age Outlaw (15-12-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,776 Times

This will be the door to debate opener, this is where EVERYONE is needed and all need to now do their part. A letter to your MP, back people up, all hands are going to be needed on deck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to New Age Outlaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

The boat's getting full We're not far from the final push!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggbox For This Useful Post:

New Age Outlaw (16-12-10)

Thanks

oh yeeah!!!I really hope they listen tomorrow and see common sense like the rest of us..........

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SupaGreen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

so will it be lon tv? parliment channel or radio ?

no dout be a private hearing they wont want it out
    Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    i wonder if it will leave you a note ''dear john.....'' when it trundles off to the neighbors house that is growing with a 600w light instead of your 400w.........sneaky little ..........
    Fathers nearly silent fan and fillter modClick here

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Father jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"war on drugs creates the very conditions that perpetuate the illegal trade."
    see i always thought they were incredibly aware of this and they planned to keep it that way for all the wrong reasons.. time please rid me of my cynicism..... but hey this does sound like very good news... i really cant wait until the day that cannabis and its healing properties are common knowledge and is accepted amongst our society... i will be able to look back at it and say to people "see! thats what i told you years ago!"
    .. a tipple made it topple and
    a nipple put a stop to all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bushdriver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,640 Times

Here Here..... Go on Bob...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChuChu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,916 Times

Brilliant news that

"My departure from the front benches gives me the freedom to express my long held view" That's scarey!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

cannamancan (17-12-10), New Age Outlaw (16-12-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Father jack View Post
    so will it be lon tv? parliment channel or radio ?

no dout be a private hearing they wont want it out
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...meetingId=7198

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draith For This Useful Post:

New Age Outlaw (16-12-10), TIKTOK (15-12-10)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast