Thread: amazon 108 vs 9 pot wilma ?

Thanks

Default amazon 108 vs 9 pot wilma ?

hi all ~ yay for claiming first post !

just wondering if anyone had views on the above dilemma i find myself in. i'm a closet grower (no surprises there then !) so i have restricted space but could fit both these systems in under a 600w hps.. have a digital switchable ballast so i can vary from 250, 400 and 600w bulbs in both MH and HPS.

in terms of regular maintenance, which would be easier ? i've heard draining these things can be a pain in the arse, especially if i go down a scrog road..

this would be my second grow, first was in soil.. had a few issues with the dreaded mites, so i thought these systems might keep that risk to a minimum and increase yield ?

these systems can be tricky to get right tho ive heard..so any advice would be appreciated !

thanks in advance..
    “I believe that God left certain drugs growing naturally upon our planet to help speed up and facilitate our evolution. OK, not the most popular idea ever expressed. Either that or you're all real high and agreeing with me in the only way you can right now. (Starts blinking)” ~ Bill Hicks

Thanks

go with the wilma there easy you cant go wrong with them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimegrowa For This Useful Post:

closetgrower (05-01-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,275 Times

Can't really help with the choice of system, closet, as I'm strictly a muck grower. However, I don't believe that growing in hydro will reduce the likelihood of spidermites....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marmalade dreams For This Useful Post:

closetgrower (05-01-11)

Thanks

alright closet I'm using a 4 pot Wilma with coco it's my first grow in yrs and my first ever hydro and i have to say the Wilma is the dogs mate basically all i do is check Ph/EC on a daily basis and watch my temps the results are unbelievable if i were you i know what i would use my mate grows in soil with good results and his eyes nearly popped out when he saw my plants.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gbomb For This Useful Post:

closetgrower (05-01-11)

Icon Guest

Hydro growers suffer with Spiders just as much as soil. They tend to be more prevalent in the summer months. Having said that this year has been very good i have not had 1 mite.
    There are lots of methods of dealing with them and this time you should at least be ready for them.
    Check out IllEarth67 s Diary that gives you all the advice you will need
    Happy Growin
    Icon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

closetgrower (05-01-11)

Thanks

hi closet, i have a amazon , its really easy to drain etc and ive had a good result already with it,but... the only thing i find is you cant shuffle your babies about 4 best results. gud luck with the wilma m8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:

closetgrower (05-01-11)

Thanks

thanks guys for your replies ~ marmalade & icon, i realise that the mites will be airborne mostly, and in hindsight i guess i wasnt happy more with the quality of the compost i grew in last time.. it hatched quite a few nasties. additionally, without trying to seem down on the muck, potting up was a messy process (mind you i had quite a few on the go in the basement..lol). i also am away a fair bit, mostly for two or three days at a time, and one thing i learned from a soil grow is that plants develop their own watering requirement, and the best way to know when to water was to pick em up and feel the weight wet to dry (worked for me anyway !) ~ i had a few narrow squeaks because of water needs, so i'm figuring, this time, the best thing is some form of hydro.

i really fancy one of those x-stream propagators this time round as i'm planning a perpetual small scale harvest, rather than a glut and famine ! continued requirements would also seem easier to disguise with a hydro based system too,.rather than lugging all those bags in in fron of nosy neighbours..lol.

hi blacksheep ~ thats a very good point as well, it doesnt seem easy to shuffle the plants around. in a soil grow i moved the plants around quite a bit to take advantage of the "sweet spot" etc.. and doing that with the amazon with a full rez seems herculean to say the least, unless you can play solitaire with the mesh pots ? i wouldnt have thought it was a good idea though ?? does anyone do that ?

this is probably gonna sound terribly newb but also, dont the full grown plants tend to fall over in those little mesh pots ?

now the big question.. due to restricted space and stealth reasons i'm gonna be doing my germination/cloning inside a big peice of furniture (a double cupboard with drawers above, with bookcase and glass doors above) which i'm converting at the moment, so my style of growing is this ;

1.5" rockwool cube seedling under a t5 lightwave till one week after roots first show through the cube. (in the bookcase section)
    this goes into a 3.75" mesh pot with hydroton.
    this goes into the veg space (the double cupboard) which consists of ;
    4 x 10 litre buckets as a dwc system, with airpump (4x outlet) under a 240w led (3w per led) panel.

i plan to let my girls veg for 3-4 weeks until they are 12-15 inches tall, then move them to a separate flowering area (my closet) under a single 600w hps (most efficient cost per watt/lumen) ~ so given my girls roots will be water based rather than soil, ive gotta flower them in water too.. which is when i posed the question as to the right system.

my flower space is just under m2 (0.87), but headroom isnt a problem, so i'm thinking now thats about right for 4 plants really rather than 8 in the amazon.. so maybe the wilma big4 is the way to go.

dont s'pose anyone has a secondhand one going do they ?..lol..

any further advice is much appreciated..

Thanks

are they worth the money them amazons mate looking at get 1 have u had them from the start or did u use soil or coco b4 the amazon and whats the results you can get out of them ?

Thanks

imo hell yes they are good look at my diary in my sig

My first attempt at AEROPONICS (barneys farms LSD grown in an AMAZON system) https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...try-AEROPONICS

Anything i post on here (advice, pictures and text) are merely hypothetical and should not be taken seriously. I do not condone nor take part in any illegal activities or connected with the cultivation or trade of marijuana. Nobody should listen to anything i post on this forum.