Thread: Ikon Coco pots.

Thanks

Default Ikon Coco pots.

Hi everyone i've been doing a bit of reading around about growing in coco as i think this is the way for me now,can't be arsed with bubblers anymore just want it easy without the pumps etc,anyway at my growshop the other day i asked him about the coco blocks that he usually sells for like £1.50 and he told me they had stopped doing them as they contained alot of salt and he showed me some new coco blocks he was now selling at £3.50,they are the Ikon coco pots 10 litre ones that come in the self contained disposable pot,the container is constructed from light proof black/white sheeting and you just add water to it,anyway i bought one as i had germed a Jack herer seedling and wanted to get it in there,i came home and added the water to the bag n broke it all up,i planted the seed in the bag and put a few holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage,i watered with a bit of formulex and ph'd water to 5.8,when i tested the runoff from the water i'd just given the EC was like 1.4-1.6 and PH was 5.7,so i'm thinking how could the EC be so high they don't add nutrients to coco do they,its not the formulex as i only gave it a little bit from a spray bottle,the seedling is only a couple weeks old i think the EC is way too high for that age a seedling but it looks okay.
    Also i read on another thread that you should add water to coco everyday,is this right should i be watering everyday?,also when should i start to add feed to the water?,i've got some canna nutrients but i don't think they are the right ones,i got the Canna aqua vega and flores,are these no good for a coco grow?if not then i think i'll buy the plant magic coco grow and bloom.
    I'm planning on buying some more coco blocks but thought about just buying the blocks at £1.50 i think they are 10 litres also and just give them a good fliush through with water to get rid of any excess salts,does anyone else use these blocks and do you get any problems with salt build up or owt,i've got this seedling on 12/12 already so does anyone think a 10 litre pot would be big enough?
    Cheers.
    I LIKE GANJA..GANJA LIKES ME..WE MAKE A PAIR LIKE A GANJA TREE

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

they look good to me.
    I would have flushed the pots a couple times at least with water before I planted anything in em tho
    You never get a proper run-off readout from coco since so many "bits" get in the water runoff etc.
    Just use your judgement mate by looking at the plants condition and testing your nute mix eC
    10 litre is fine - u can grow trees in em in coco.

If you buy the untreated blocks make sure you flush them VERY thoroughly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

big syko 75 (18-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azerbanphal View Post
    they look good to me.
    I would have flushed the pots a couple times at least with water before I planted anything in em tho
    You never get a proper run-off readout from coco since so many "bits" get in the water runoff etc.
    Just use your judgement mate by looking at the plants condition and testing your nute mix eC
    10 litre is fine - u can grow trees in em in coco.

If you buy the untreated blocks make sure you flush them VERY thoroughly.

Cheers for the reply Azerbanphal,well i decided to go with the untreated coco blocks for £1.50,i bought 3 and soaked them in hot water n broke them all up,stuck them in a bucket and flushed with hot water so i know this coco i'm gonna use isn't gonna be salty,i've got a couple beans germing at the moment they only 36 hours old but they'll be going into pots of coco next few days,just wanted to know though would i be best planting the seedling straight into a 10 litre pot or can i start off in say 2 litre and work my way up to 10 litres,what i'm trying to say is would i be best planting straight into 10 litre,i've also heard that PH 5.5 to 5.8 is great for germination-seedling---and vegetative growth ,would this be about right.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,108 Times

Instead of going strait into a 10L pot you want to buildup a nice healthly root-ball first.. Maybe go 1.5L > 6L > 10L, Leave 10-14 days between potups. PH of 5.5-6.1 is generally acceptable, The sweetspot is 5.8 for most but it is good to vary your PH over the grow to allow more uptake of various nutrients.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cocogrower For This Useful Post:

big syko 75 (19-02-11)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice one,another coco grower,thanks for the advice its just what i wanted to hear,i thought building up was a good idea so i bought some square plastic pots from wilko's they are 11 inches high i think they could be a litre or 1.5L,what i've done is prepare the coco by filling up my pots and giving them all a flush with hot water,was thinking should i flush them a couple times with PH'D water.
    All of my seeds have popped anyway i got 2 x Female seeds White Widow,1 x Pyramid seeds Tutankhamon,1 x Kannabia special,2 x Greenhouse Jack Herer clones,gonna veg maybe a couple weeks,was gonna go 12/12 straight away but i want some clones from these for my next grow.
    Anyway keep an eye out for my diary on these in next few days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to big syko 75 For This Useful Post:

thcdudeuk (20-02-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,033 Times

yo syko dude
    congrats mate another fellow coco grower i never heard of the pots ure on about but sound cool.... what made u go for these over the coco in the 50ltr bags????
    what u'll find is with coco is that its really easy to grow in with minimal effort u will some quality results...
    sooo much easier than hydro..... just feed em n watch them flourish dude....
    i'll be on the look out for ure new diary mate...
    as always RESPECT
    "If You Smoke Like I Smoke Ya High Like Everyday"
    RESPECT

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thcdudeuk For This Useful Post:

big syko 75 (21-02-11)