Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Homebrew/Wine Making Thread

Thanks

Cool

EASY TURBO CIDER...

Well this is as easy as it gets!
    (called turbo cider as its so quick and easy)

Ingredients:
    4.5L of pure apple juice
    1tsp yeast

Method:
    1. Place 3L of apple juice into a demijon (assumeing everything is sterile)
    2. PLace 1tsp of yeast into the demijon
    3. shake
    4. leave for 36-48hrs to ferment then top with with the remaining of the juice (cant fill it right up at the start as it will foam quite a bit)
    5. leave to ferment out
    6. Rack off and drink (or if you like cider fizzy then prime as usual)

i thought i would try this out and i was very impressed with the results.

it is sssooooo easy

i used tesco value apple juice and SG was 1.042 so no sugar was necessary (to get to 5.5%ish) but if you want cider stronger add sugar/honey or whatever.

very good for a beginer and an expert alike!

good for trying out different yeasts also since the recipe is so simple and the ingredients vary so little.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to relto For This Useful Post:

DrGreen (14-12-11), GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (19-05-11)

Thanks

Winemaking Ingredients: Mixed Fruit Juice Wine - Wine Making Guides
    3 litres fruit juice (from cartons)
    17 oz / 480 grams sugar (dissolved in 1 pint of boiled water)
    2 teaspoons tartaric acid
    1 teasoon bentonite
    1 teaspoon pectolase
    1/4 teaspoon liguid tannin
    1/4 oz / 10 grams wine yeast
    1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    2 teaspoons sulphite solution

Winemaking Method: Mixed Fruit Juice Wine - Wine Making Guides
    This really is a very simple and quick recipe, without the need to collect berries, fruit or flowers. Instead, simply purchase three one-litre cartons of fruit juice (e.g. apple, grape, cranberry or orange). Use these in any combination - you could every try adding some carrot juice. Do note that these cartons of fruit juice must be pure fruit juice (not 'fruit drinks') and not contain any added sweeteners or artificial prservatives.

Add all of the fruit juice ingredients (bar the sulphite) straight into a demijohn. The yeast should first be activated. Seal with the correct airlock and leave to ferment for approximately four days. At this stage, top up the demijohn with boiled water (cooled) and leave for a further six weeks. Siphon into a cleaned demijohn, adding one teaspoon of the sulphite solution. Repeat this racking off process in two months, adding the remaining sulphite. Once clear, your frut juice wine will be ready to bottle up. However, it is best left to mature for a further three to six months, to improve the overall flavour, quality and clarity.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to relto For This Useful Post:

DrGreen (14-12-11), GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

Fruit Juice Wines & More

These are ideal for a first venture into wine-making after making kits, they also give very good results, use the minimum additional ingredients and can easily be adapted to suit any personal preferences, and some suggestions are included. Basic versions of white, red & rose are given below, they are designed by me, Peter Laycock, to generally give around 11-12% alcohol, 0.6-0.7% acidity and a tannin value of around 0.01% for white, less than 0.2% for red and rose wines somewhere in between. My calculations are based on an original volume of 4.7l, thus allowing for some losses through sediment, spillage etc. we should therefore end up with about the required 4.5l of wine, enough for 6 standard (750ml) bottles. I have tried these wines after maturing for 3 months and have found them all very rewarding, some wines tend to improve with longer maturation times. The fruit juices are the type found in supermarkets in 1l Tetra-Paks & should have no added sugar or preservatives (for this reason I tend to disregard anything with the word "Drink" on the carton) , the figures in brackets give the approximate amount of sugar per 100ml juice, given on the side of the pack.

White Wine

Calculations (approximate, for 4.7l original vol.):- O.G. 1078, F.G. 993, Alcohol 11.4%, Final acidity 0.6% & Tannin 0.01%.

2l White grape juice (15.9g sugar)
    1l Apple juice (11g sugar)
    525g sugar dissolved in approx. 0.5l water
    5ml (1tsp) pectic enzyme
    2.5ml (½tsp) nutrient
    Yeast

The sugar is added to approx 0.5l water in a pan and heated to dissolve the sugar. When cool, all the ingredients are added to a demijohn, the yeast being the final ingredient, make up to about 4l with cold water, fit an air-lock with some water in. Ferment at room temperature for a few days, after the initial volatile fermentation has subsided make up to about 4.7l with cold water. When fermentation is complete the wine can be fined in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and then bottled, alternatively you may wish to rack it onto a crushed Campden tablet in a clean demijohn, allowing the wine to clear & mature in bulk before bottling. Personally I like to mature my wines in bulk for about 3 months, even more for reds, resulting in less sediment in the bottle.

NOTE:- I like to hold back 1 carton of grape juice until the S. G. of the fermenting wine has fallen to around 1010 (not critical) thus enhancing the bouquet & taste of the finished wine, the starting volume should be reduced to 3.5l to cater for this. I regularly make this wine, nick-named Grapple, as I really enjoy it, different types of juices produce different tastes & so it is never boring. Adding 6-12 strawberries, raspberries or similar also adds to the fun.

Apple wine could be made using 3l apple juice, omitting the grape juice, increasing the sugar to 630g gives similar parameters. Elderflowers tend to go well with apple wine, you could add two florets or 15g dried elderflowers but err on the side of caution as too much can be overpowering.

Red Wine

NOTE:- When red grape juice is produced, it is difficult to extract the colour from the skins (red grapes produce white juice), hence artificial colour is sometimes added. Unfortunately these colours can look un-natural, and, worse still, they can be unstable and precipitate out of the finished wine. It may be pertinent to replace the grape juice with 500g concentrate & 1 litre of apple juice, the sugar should be increased to 560g.

A fairly light red coloured wine with quite a full flavour.
    Calculations (approximate, for 4.7l original vol.):- O.G. 1078, F.G. 993, Alcohol 11.3%, Final acidity 0.61% & Tannin 0.13%.

3l Red grape juice (15.9g sugar)
    500g sugar dissolved in approx. 0.5l water
    5ml (1tsp) pectic enzyme
    2.5ml (½tsp) nutrient
    Yeast

Make using the same method as the white wine.

1l of grape juice could be replaced by 1l apple juice giving O.G. 1076, F.G. 993, Alcohol 11%, Final acidity 0.6% & Tannin 0.09%, an extra 25g sugar will produce 11.4% alcohol.

Rosé Wine

Calculations (approximate, for 4.7l original vol.):- O.G. 1078, F.G. 993, Alcohol 11.4%, Final acidity 0.6% & Tannin 0.05%.

1l Red grape juice (15.9g sugar)
    1l White grape juice (15.9g sugar)
    1l Apple juice (11g sugar)
    525g sugar dissolved in approx. 0.5l water
    5ml (1tsp) pectic enzyme
    2.5ml (½tsp) nutrient
    Yeast

Make using the same method as the white wine.

Maturation time is a big factor for beer & wine making, all the above juice wines should be drinkable after 3 months, additional time may make some subtle but small improvements but when recipe designers tell you to wait a year or so, they generally mean it. Usually this is for strong wines made with fruits rather than juices etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to relto For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

Hey fellow brewers,

I just wanted to say I've not forgotten this thread or the brewing group.
    I'm nearly at the end of my course now so I'll have a fair few months of spare time to be filling and getting a brew on is going to be one of my first priorities.
    As soon as I'm through with work I'll get on with setting up the group properly and we can start getting our brewing resources together.

Thanks to everyone who's chipped in so far with ideas, questions, suggestion etc.
    Keep em coming!

I just didn't want people to think I'd abandoned the brewing section after requesting it

-----------------------------GROW DIARIES----------------------------
    |

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGreenMachine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

Yeah what a marvelous thread, used to brew a bit of wine in my younger days and I'm just getting back into it. Picked up some demi johns off ebay and Bubbsy is gonna get rest of stuff for my birthday.
    I'm going to try a couple of kit wines to get into it then come autumn I'll do a couple of country wines maybe bilberry or elderberry

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigballs For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (04-06-11), GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (04-06-11)

Thanks

Hooray
    Finally got round to getting all the stuff together, the wedding/getting married business had to come first.
    Anyways started a black cherry kit yesterday from the youngs country definitive range. Its got everything you need in the kit including finings, yeast and stabiliser and it says its ready to drink in 3-4 weeks on the tin

I noticed an elderberry bush/tree absolutely dripping with fruit during my lunch break, round the edge of a car park in Derby so I gathered 3lb of fruit and whacked it in the freezer. My mind is proper getting into this now, things I'm gonna try making in the future are mead and a fizzy white for Bubbs. If the weathers reasonable this weekend going out to collect blackberries, bilberries if they are ready and some more elderberries if I happen upon them

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigballs For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (26-08-11), GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

We went for a walk up the woods this weekend picked 4.5lbs of blackberries in an hour and a half and the dog enjoyed the walk
    Bilberries still need a month and think there will still be lots of blackberries till then
    Here is a couple of photos of my wine so far. The first is the black cherry kit started last week, it has changed colour already much redder now and bubbling away merrily - approx 20 days till bottling

Also got the blackberries in the bucket ready to transfer to demi john next weekend. They look red like raspberries, i guess the colour has gone into the juice they were ripe black fruits

Can't wait to sample the fruits of my labour
    The plan is to guzzle the kits wines, so I can leave the fruit wines to mature, will have to sample them before they go into BB's cellar

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigballs For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (29-08-11), GEORGE (25-02-20), Goodbuddy (29-08-11), urban grower (10-05-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

Has anyone ever used nectar of fuchsias to brew with before?

Always nip a couple of flowers and suck out the nectar of a blooming fuchsia, kids do it too now . I was just wondering if anyone had given it a go, or if indeed there is a fuchsia liqueur?

peace

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Bostin (09-01-14), GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

Bottled the black cherry last night, had a little sample was nice and fruity but a little dry for my taste. I kind of knew this cos took hygrometer reading when i stopped it and added finings last week, so 5ml of sweetener was added to each bottle.

The blackberry wine has finished fermenting now so that was stopped last night and finings added and will be ready for bottling next week.
    Our apple tree has fruited really well this year, so last week started an apple wine, made the recipe up as I went along but was basically

Half a mash bucket of really finely chopped apples (the more sour the better)in food processor - cores and seeds removed
    Half a bunch of red grapes - leftovers
    1/4 litre of orange juice - leftovers
    juice of 1 lemon
    Handful of blueberries - leftovers
    4 cloves
    1Kg of sugar

I put the lemon and orange juice in to try to stop the apples from going brown but they still did. From the juice hiding under the foam in the bucket should turn out a light pink wine. As we still got loads of apples, I have bought a can of concentrated white grape juice to make a proper grapple wine as soon as the one above is out of the bucket.
    LOL still got 3lb elderberries and 2 1/2lb of blackberries and bilberries in the freezer to use, fair to say I have made the most of the autumn glut of fruit.
    Anybody else got any on the go, especially country wines?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigballs For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,381 Times

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    My old man used to always have a bucket or two of beer on the go. I remember when I was a kid sneaking into the pantry, nicking a couple of bottles of his home brew and selling them at the youth club for 10p a bottle.. (10p was a good price in those days). lol.
    showin ya age grub?? lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast