Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium (Mg)

Thanks

Default Magnesium (Mg)

Magnesium helps supports healthy veins while keeping a healthy leaf production and its structure. Magnesium is significant for chlorophyll-production and enzyme break downs. Magnesium which must be present in relatively large quantities for the plant to survive, but yet not to much to where it will cause the plant to show a toxicity.

Magnesium is one of the easiest deficiencies to tell… the green veins along with the yellowness of the entire surrounding leave is a dead giveaway, but sometimes that’s not always the case here. In case you have one of those where it doesn’t show the green veins, sometimes leaf tips and edges may discolor and curl upward. The growing tips can turn lime green when the deficiency progresses to the top of the plant. The edges will feel like dry and crispy and usually affects the lower leaves in younger plants, then will affect the middle to upper half when it gets older, but It can also happen on older leaves as well. The deficiency will start at the tip then will take over the entire outer left and right sides of the leaves. The inner part will be yellow and or brownish in color, followed by leaves falling without withering. The tips can also twist and turn as well as curving upwards as if you curl your tongues.

Excessive levels of magnesium in your plants will exhibit a build up of toxic salts that will kill the leaves and lock out other nutrients like Calcium (Ca). Mg can get locked out by having too much Calcium, Chlorine or ammonium in your soil/water.
    One of the worst problems a person can have is a magnesium def caused by a ph lockout. By giving it more magnesium to cure the problem when you are thinking you are doing good, but actually you are doing more harm then good. When the plants can’t take in a nutrient because of the ph being off for that element, the plant will not absorb it but it will be in the soil… therefore causing a buildup. A buildup will be noticed by the outer parts of the plant becoming whitish and or a yellowish color. The tips and part way in on the inner leaves will die and feel like glass. Parts affected by Magnesium deficiency are: space between the veins (Interveinal) of older leaves; may begin around interior perimeter of leaf.

Problems with Magnesium being locked out by PH troubles

Light Acid Soils, soils with excessive potassium, calcium and or phosphorus

Soil

Magnesium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 2.0-6.4
    Magnesium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.5-9.1 . (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Magnesium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0-5.7
    Magnesium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.8-9.1
    (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Magnesium deficiency
    Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Magnesium in them will fix a Magnesium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
    Other nutrients that have magnesium in them are: Epsom salts, which is fast absorption. Dolomite lime and or garden lime (same thing just called different) which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Magnesia which is medium absorption. Worm Castings, which is slow absorption. Crabshell which is slow absorption. Earth Juice Mircoblast, which is fast acting. (a must buy!! Has lots of 2ndary nutrients).
    Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics,( which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 3 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 ltr pot and need to flush it, you need to use 15 ltrs of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times

thank for al your threds sticky.knowledge is knowledge and i is soakin it up like a sponge.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldtimerzback For This Useful Post:

b177yr055 (02-05-12), diddymao (16-04-11), newbie_hemp_grow (25-02-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times

Thumbs up

ooops soz about callin u sticky ikdj its the blueberry,u know how it is.im gonna lower my ph to 5.5 in my multiflow sytem as a result of your info thanks mate

Thanks

Thanks for the post. Im suffering from the above. The only problem is, I can find anywhere to buy epson salts. Is there anywhere you can walk into to buy or does it have to be online? Alternativily, is there anything i can buy from a hydro shop? dont mind paying a little extra because i need to go there anyway. Cheers

Thanks

any chemist should have them ok...
    Bodge...

non-disclaimer : I smoke and I grow, and I make no apology for either - bollox to the laws of this country.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bodge For This Useful Post:

Dam High (26-04-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

chemist,garden center, for the epsom salts.
    hydro shop,you can get calmag.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

Dam High (26-04-11), LittleWert (21-03-14)

Thanks

wud this happen if over fed

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	172833Click image for larger version. 

Views:	444 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	172834

Can anyone identify my problem please ?
    And can anyone say if epsom salt will help clear this up ?

I've spent weeks and weeks trying to figure this out, I've looked at loads of the deficiency picture charts and cannot seem to pinpoint my exact problem please help.

jimmi420 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrogger View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	433 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	172833Click image for larger version. 

Views:	444 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	172834

Can anyone identify my problem please ?
    And can anyone say if epsom salt will help clear this up ?

I've spent weeks and weeks trying to figure this out, I've looked at loads of the deficiency picture charts and cannot seem to pinpoint my exact problem please help.
    It wont clear up ever, it will just stop it progressing further

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmi420 For This Useful Post:

Scrogger (11-02-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi420 View Post
    It wont clear up ever, it will just stop it progressing further
    Yes sorry bud I'm aware my leaves will not go back to normal I'm worried about why they are doing this
    As you can probably tell I'm new lol I'm not understanding if my ph was wrong or I gave them feed every time I watered
    And never gave them pure water.

I use hard water, I was told its high in calcium do you think I could have caused mg to lock out I've looked and so many different things now my mind is boggled plz help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast