Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Socks Dangerous

Thanks

Default Are Socks Dangerous

Hey all, I tried looking for an answer to this with search but cant find it.

Anyway, Are there any dangers of putting a sock over a rvk 4" to reduce the sound of the air movement (vibration is not a problem, just the air flow). I am going to be doing a stealth grow and stealth is a must.

There is no ducting at all just straight CF -> fan -> Hole

I am just worried about the motor having to work harder and might spontaneously go on fire or something.

Other solutions that come to my mind all seem to focus around reducing the amount of air that passes through it, anyone have any better ideas?

(just tried the sock did fuck all, lol, maybe duct tape over 50% of the hole sort of thing???)

Thanks in advance, 5.
    Last edited by 5; 29-07-11 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks

You should try a rheostat to dial the fan speed down.
    Nothin exceeds like excess

Thanks

Oh and I don't have the cash for a proper fan speed controller atm either. But tbh even if the controller reduced the noise by 50% it would still be way too loud.

Master Poet Guest

If you type...

fan silencer

Into the search toolbar you will get a few threads to help out. Didnt look/try very hard did you.

Bobby Digital Guest

you can ask adambomb about socks, hes the resident sock master of this site

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Digital For This Useful Post:

Adambomb (31-07-11), flogrow (08-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    If you type...

fan silencer

Into the search toolbar you will get a few threads to help out. Didnt look/try very hard did you.
    You clearly didnt read very hard, I said theres no ducting. meaning no room for ducting aswell. Like i said stealth is important so having a huge silencer sticking out the side would sort of give it away.

Thanks

I guess i should make this a bit more clear: my grow space is 80h x 60D x 80w. I am putting the fan and filter inside the grow space so no need for ducting as it all fits in nicely alongside my reflector and cfl, thinking of doing a large microgrow or do lots of lsting.

I guess the question I really want answered is: Is it dangerous to partially cover one end of the extractor to reduce noise, will this stress the motor enough to cause fire or some other problem?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,305 Times

socks are dangerous if they are crispy. theres a thread on it here somewhere.
    Straight in washing machine imho, dont leave em crisp up for the mrs/wife/cleaner to find.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Swilly For This Useful Post:

Adambomb (31-07-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,112 Times

I doubt the sock would make it quieter mate, if anything it will make louder cos of the motor straining or the same amount of air getting dragged through a smaller space.

I did break my toe while putting a sock on once, I fell over. They are dangerous.

Thanks

put duct tape over 25% of the ducting on my intake fan to stop as much air going in, the fan burnt out a week b4 harvest. do u need a 4" ruck for the space you are useing? cause i think ou could get a cheaper less powerfull fan in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast