Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: best grow box lighting?

trumptummy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mellowed View Post
    You can grow with them but you will be lucky to get as few grams of bud at the end of it and the plants are going to stretch a lot to find a better source of light.

The rule of thumb is usually 100w per plant and a 100w household cfl ( energy saving bulbs) is only the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb so will probably be putting out 30w of usable light if your lucky.
    Think you have got the wrong end of the stick there mate.

CLF are more efficient (much more). A 100w CFL is actually the equivalent of about a 300w incandescent.

To produce around 1000 lumens either a CFL that consumes about 20w will do, or an incandescent rated about 75w.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trumptummy For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (11-08-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,112 Times

I have a plant that has only been under household CFLs, and they are 2700K type. I have used 3 of them at once and have much less bud on that plant than I do on the other plant which is under a 70W HPS.

I feel that even three of them is not really enough for one plant mate. Depending how much money I get this month I am planning to upgrade to a proper growing CFL of at least 125W and of the correct colour for vegging.

I reckon I will be harvesting a little over 14g after about 3 months under 3 x 23w from that one plant.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stimpy For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

mellowed Guest

You can grow with them but you will be lucky to get as few grams of bud at the end of it and the plants are going to stretch a lot to find a better source of light.<br />
    <br />
    The rule of thumb is usually 100w per plant and a 100w household cfl ( energy saving bulbs) is only the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb so will probably be putting out 30w of usable light if your lucky.
    <br />
    <br />
    Think you have got the wrong end of the stick there mate. <br />
    <br />
    CLF are more efficient (much more). A 100w CFL is actually the equivalent of about a 300w incandescent.<br />
    <br />
    To produce around 1000 lumens either a CFL that consumes about 20w will do, or an incandescent rated about 75w.

No mate a household energysaving cfl is the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb.......read the back of the box it comes in, they don't sell true 100w cfl for the house anymore........I know because I have been looking for one to use to start seedling with. And if there are only producing 20w and only 1000lumens then he is going to harvest about as much as I said earlier on. And as for putting 10 of them in a growbox that's just a pain in the arse, after buying the bulbs, bulb sockets, wire and then installing it all safely then it would have been cheaper and easier to by a proper growbulb and fitting for £30 which you just have to plug into the wall and that's it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

mellowed Guest

Just wanted to add that I tried to grow a plant with 3 household cfls during veg and after 3 weeks it was obvious the plant was needing more light regardless of how close I got them or how I hung them around the plant.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

Thanks

Full size cfl minimum.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,112 Times

No mate a household energysaving cfl is the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb.......read the back of the box it comes in, they don't sell true 100w cfl for the house anymore........I know because I have been looking for one to use to start seedling with. And if there are only producing 20w and only 1000lumens then he is going to harvest about as much as I said earlier on. And as for putting 10 of them in a growbox that's just a pain in the arse, after buying the bulbs, bulb sockets, wire and then installing it all safely then it would have been cheaper and easier to by a proper growbulb and fitting for £30 which you just have to plug into the wall and that's it.
    You still got wrong end of the stick there mate.

The lamp doesn't 'put out' 20W, it uses 20W.

It puts out lumens, a 20W CFL will put out a similar amount of lumens as a 100W incandescent. Even if it is in a different part of the light spectrum.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stimpy For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

mellowed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
    You still got wrong end of the stick there mate.

The lamp doesn't 'put out' 20W, it uses 20W.

It puts out lumens, a 20W CFL will put out a similar amount of lumens as a 100W incandescent. Even if it is in a different part of the light spectrum.
    I understand that mate but as you have said the bulbs give off between 950-1100 lumen each which is not anywhere near enough lumens to grow a plant through to the end regardless of how much lst you do to keep it small. Most plants require about 10,000 lumens to grow properly which then takes us back to your idea of putting 10 bulbs in there instead when a maxigrow 125w cfl produces 9,000 lumens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

a 100w household cfl ( energy saving bulbs) is only the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb
    This isn't true. The confusion usually arises because some lamps are advertised based on their 'incandescent equivalent'. But they will use a lot less power than their incandescent equivalent. It's usually around 20% (there's about a 5:1 efficiency ratio over incandescent).

No mate a household energysaving cfl is the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb
    This is true for a fluorescent lamp that uses around 20 Watts.

Generally, fluorescent lamps are specified by their actual power consumption and will have an 'incandescent equivalent' of approximately five times that value. A 125 Watt fluorescent lamp will probably have an output comparable to that of a 625 Watt incandescent.

WRT to "how much light is needed?", 3,000 lumens per square foot is probably adequate, with 5,000 generally giving good results. 8,000 to 10,000 is probably the maximum useful value. (All based on HID and fluorescent lamps. Other lamp designs may have different PAR:Lumen ratios, and it's the PAR that counts.)
    Last edited by Anonymiss; 11-08-11 at 06:07 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

akize (31-08-12), JORDAN VDV (14-08-11)

mellowed Guest

Either way the op is going to be very disappointed if he expects to get more than a few grams of bud from his plant using 1 of them bulbs.

Thanks

i never said how much bud i wanted and im getting 30w cfls(with a 150w equivillant) thanks for all the help guys 2 30w cfl wont be enough to grow ounces but all i really want is too experiment it and see if its worth the effort and money, will i need any nutrients and if so, what ones for witch stage?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast