Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Official Wilma thread

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Quote Originally Posted by grower1988 View Post
    Hi guys!

Are wilmas ok to be used with coco? Was worried that salts would build up in the rez and back into the coco.
    Was thinking of giving these ago with coco or pebbles but unsire on salts with coco and weather you can drip constantly with coco like ya can pebbles. Any advice would be great thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Wilmas are great for coco. You have to stay on top of your ph and EC in your reservoir but that applies to any type of hydro grow.
    Coco and clay pebbles are very similar in that they're inert. Constant feeding works or 15 mins every hour.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), Trex (05-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WhIpLaSh View Post
    Wilmas are great for coco. You have to stay on top of your ph and EC in your reservoir but that applies to any type of hydro grow.
    Coco and clay pebbles are very similar in that they're inert. Constant feeding works or 15 mins every hour.
    Ohh really and you can recirculate the feed ? Was thinking about that other day to make my own system . Either drip to waste or wilma type . Still on the fence . I need an automated system as im gone away alot lately

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), WhIpLaSh (05-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Ohh really and you can recirculate the feed ? Was thinking about that other day to make my own system . Either drip to waste or wilma type . Still on the fence . I need an automated system as im gone away alot lately

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Yep. You can also mod the Wilma to drain to waste, if you prefer. It's a versatile piece of kit. The biggest negative is that you give away about 6' of height cos the pots sit on the res. Sativa grows are a bitch lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The G is Stoned View Post
    Here on THCtalk.com many of us choose to grow using the Wilma system, whether in hydro, coco or even sometimes soil.

There are a few threads nocking about on the subject but I feel as though we should have somewhere to consolidate all our knowledge, somewhere for people to post their questions and somewhere to share any modifications.

A few of us here have been customizing and modifying our systems in an attempt to push the plants into producing more faster and also just to make life easier.
    The standard Wilma system is an easy to use and versatile grow system that can
    produce very large, healthy plants using only a single MaxiJet 490 pump.

However, to be able to keep up with recirculating systems, waterfarms and alike the Wilma has to have a few changes made to allow the plants to do their thing.

What's needed is more DO (dissolved oxygen) in the reservoir and the roots will also need access to that oxygen rich water. Allowing the roots into the bottom reservoir not only supplies the plant with plenty of DO but it also enables the plant to grow a much larger root mass and a larger root mass means a larger plant.

So to kick start the wealth of information that hopefully this thread will become, here is my guide to modifying the Wilma 4 pot as seen on the popular THCtalk grow diaries "I Feel Like Ice Cream" , "DelaHaze! 1050w Screen-Of-Green" and also coming soon "Mazar, something something something"

Ok first of all I have noticed that it is extremely difficult to empty and flush this system especially when using a scrog, my solution is to fit an IWS bucket intake connecter or similar available from greens horticulture to the underneath of the bottom tank. This of course means that the tank needs to be raised off the floor, which in my opinion helps with vibrations anyway.

Next move is to start drilling some holes in the top tray to let those roots into the res, I suggest as many as possible without affecting the strength of the tray. I would also recommend switching to ten liter airpots as not only will this relinquish the need to drill out the pots (as the base of airpots is made up of roughly a 1cm plastic grid) but they're supposed to be bloody good as well. Only down side being you will need to modify the centre of the top tray. As you can see I've done this by removing the corners allowing the airpots to fit in the tray
    Here is a standard tray

Here is my tray drilled out and with the corners of the center piece removed

Ok so now your system should look like this (notice the 8 outlet manifold on top of the air pumps, giving you two drippers per pot

Right now before you fill her up you'll need to get that DO in there, You can also see that Im using two water pumps which are MJ490's but one MJ1000 would be better.
    Im using two air pumps; a 4 port and a 2 port giving me a total of 6 air inlets. I went for Elite Air Curtains because as you can see they distribute the air rather well.

If your successful in getting your roots into your reservoir them it should look something like this from the front

This res is packet full of healthy roots.

The final modification unfortunately I don't have a picture of but it was a 4000ltr/h wave machine which I placed between the two water pumps and created a current of oxygen rich water flowing towards the back of the res, I am thinking of connecting two Wilma4's into one recirculating system. If it happens I'll post it up here.

This system has so far given me a harvest of 24oz, my mate a harvest of 24oz and hopefully in a few weeks another good one for me

I will post up any other information about the Wilma system as and when I get it and please everybody use this thread to discuss any aspect of growing in these system and any modifications you have made or thought of.

It will be nice to see some irrigation schedules for the various mediums posted up here and anything else you all can think of.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get the knowledge I have on the system (you probably don't know who you are so I wont name you)

Enjoy, I'm off to have a nice bong of Wilma home grown.

G
    Thanks for this thread, new to forum and joined because when I searched for info on wilma all the old pages I came by were from this forum. I am going to be grabbing my wilma in a few days. I like what you have done with yours! So thhr set up you show in the first post is RDWC and not DWC? Think I will stick to DWC to begin with as only grown soil previously.

What are your thoughts on growing multiple strains? Or do you generally only grow the same strains at any given time? I was thinking about maybe splitting the tank into two and doubling up on everything so you actually have a 2 in 1 Wilma, do you think this is a feasible mod? Few others have said yes and others no, but be good to hear from some long time Wilma growers.

Now I have just under 300 posts to catch up on pmsl

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaZyLaZy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-05-19), IceCalibur (02-05-19)

Thanks

Seems not too many people hanging out in here, well just want to say again this thread is amazing should call it The Wilma Bible. I can't wait to get mine now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HaZyLaZy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-05-19)

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HaZyLaZy View Post
    Seems not too many people hanging out in here, well just want to say again this thread is amazing should call it The Wilma Bible. I can't wait to get mine now.

The forum isn't very busy during these times mate..being a predominantly UK forum and all but we do have quite a few members around the world too

Could be a slow section of the forum too, haven't really stepped in here personally.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-05-19), redisiel (02-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    The forum isn't very busy during these times mate..being a predominantly UK forum and all but we do have quite a few members around the world too

Could be a slow section of the forum too, haven't really stepped in here personally.
    Not an issue haha tones of great info in here I'm still only at post 82 lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaZyLaZy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-05-19), redisiel (02-05-19)

Thanks

Sorry i no rhis has probably been asked but is any body using the halo rings with the wilma system??

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kezza170 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,993 Times

Can anyone help. I run a Wilma and run cheap leds until two days ago and put 400w hps in I’m wondering will they take up more water with the heat from light and how do others feed ? I have it set for an hour 4 times a day. Week 3 flower. Have homemade rings. And use the pump what came with the Wilma. Don’t think it’s that powerful. Cheers.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uv123_4 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-03-20), WhIpLaSh (09-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uv123_4 View Post
    Can anyone help. I run a Wilma and run cheap leds until two days ago and put 400w hps in I’m wondering will they take up more water with the heat from light and how do others feed ? I have it set for an hour 4 times a day. Week 3 flower. Have homemade rings. And use the pump what came with the Wilma. Don’t think it’s that powerful. Cheers.
    Should be more than enough, mate. I've run a Wilma on continuous feed in clay pebbles and also 15 minutes every hour. The increased light/heat will more than likely make them drink more but you should be fine on that rotation. Your plants will tell you either which way. Minor tinkering will find the sweet spot

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-03-20), Trex (09-03-20)

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast