Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Cheese (Refridgerated Cuttings)

Monty Bong Guest

Thought I would do a little update. These cuts have been in my fridge for almost a month now and they look the same as they did the day I put them in there. Any other vegetable would be a soggy mess by now...not MJ.

I've not opened the bags because I think it's the fact they are airtight is what's keeping the plants alive.

Next update in about a month when the plants come out of stasis and go in the prop.

Thanks

what is the best way to take clones without aeroponics or domes was just curious

Thanks

Thumbs up

Awsome mate i have never seen this done before.

Monty Bong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by popefull27 View Post
    what is the best way to take clones without aeroponics or domes was just curious
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the best way", I use neither aeroponics or domes, when I take cuttings I will usualy cut off a growing tip and about 4 or 5 inches of stem. I cut the stem again at a sharp angle with a scalpel, dip it in rooting hormone powder, then plant in to seedling compost in a small pot, then in a prop under the blue enviro 20/4, every couple of days the top of the pots get sprayed with water. I will do exactly the same with these.

Quote Originally Posted by lkdj2003 View Post
    Awsome mate i have never seen this done before.

Thanks lkdj, I've rooted clones from the fridge before but only after 2 weeks of them being cut, so it will be interesting to see if it works after 8 weeks.
    It would mean growers with limited space could veg a plant, take cuts a week before 12/12, flower the mother, then root and veg the clones that have been in the fridge, without out the need for seperate flowering / veg rooms. Or if a grower has a particularly good pheno but doesn't have the space to grow more out, take cuts, keep them in the fridge until more space becomes available in the growroom.

The spring flowering side of this grow is a real gamble, I've never seen it done but have been told its possible, the plants just have to be finished by mid April or they'll start to revege....thats if the cold, wind, rain, snow, frost, doesn't kill them first.

Thanks for looking in

Thanks

I may have to try this. Nice work Monty
    "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Bong View Post
    Thanks lkdj, I've rooted clones from the fridge before but only after 2 weeks of them being cut, so it will be interesting to see if it works after 8 weeks.
    It would mean growers with limited space could veg a plant, take cuts a week before 12/12, flower the mother, then root and veg the clones that have been in the fridge, without out the need for seperate flowering / veg rooms. Or if a grower has a particularly good pheno but doesn't have the space to grow more out, take cuts, keep them in the fridge until more space becomes available in the growroom.

The spring flowering side of this grow is a real gamble, I've never seen it done but have been told its possible, the plants just have to be finished by mid April or they'll start to revege....thats if the cold, wind, rain, snow, frost, doesn't kill them first.

Thanks for looking in
    Wicked mate im really looking forward to this mate and i really hope it works out for you.

This is what i love about growing, you learn something new everyday.

Monty Bong Guest

Update.

Checked the cuttings yesterday and was concerned at what I found. The leaves on the Lemon Stinky's had gone very dark and looked like they were about to go rotten so I decided to start trying to root them earlier than planned.

4 Blue Cheese on the left, 2 Stinkies on the right. The Stinkies look in a really bad way but the Cheese don't look too bad.

They have been in the fridge for 41 days.

I treat the cuts in exactly the same way as I do any other cuts, cut the bottom of the stem at an angle, gently scrape the outer tissue off of the last few mm, and then dip this bit in rooting hormone powder. I will also either remove or trim the lower fan leaves, leaving only the growing tip and maybe one or two fan leaves beneath it.

In this pic I have cut the stem at an angle, trimmed the tips off the lower fan leaves and i'm scraping the outer tissue off the bottom of the stem. (I believe this helps the cut to start new root growth)

The soil is Levingtons JI No1, once the cuts have been trimmed and the tips dipped in hormone, I make a small hole in the soil with a skewer, push the end of the cutting in and then gently squeeze the soil up around them stem to close up the hole. You don't want to push the tip through the soil as this would scrape the hormone powder off the sides off the stem.

All 6 plants potted. 4 Cheese at the front, Stinkies at the back. The Stinkies really don't look like they're going to make it.

The soil is misted with plain tap water and so is the inside of the prop to help keep humidity high.

The prop in my makeshift veg box with my other vegging plants. The bigger light is a 125w Enviro, and the little one is a houshold cfl.

The next couple of pics were taken this morning. The Stinkies have had it and been chucked in the composter, but the Cheese has amazed me. 41 days in the fridge and the day after being potted they are all already starting to change to a lighter green, indicating photosynthesis is taking place and two of them are actualy standing up and reaching for the light.

I'm not really sure why the Stinkies died, I think it may be because the bag they were in was pushed up against the back plate of the fridge, if this caused the tissue to freeze at any time this would have damaged the plants cells and may have been why the cuts didn't make it. I'm guessing though.

Thanks

Nice work Monty, I've been looking forward to you getting these on the go. Shame about the stinkies. It could have been a couple of things, but there probably ain't much point speculating now. If it hadn't been for the stinkies, how long do you reckon they could have kept freash for? 41 days is pretty astounding as it is. Good luck with it m8. Bm

Monty Bong Guest

Thanks Bm

I think I'm near to the maximum numbers of days this can be done for.
    Maybe using more water in the bag, or finding an optimum temperature would increase the time, or having them in a fridge that isn't in daily use by a family of 7.
    I'm sure they may have lasted longer if the fridge wasn't constantly being raided by the kids.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,340 Times

Absolutely brilliant mate, n i have just learned that my wreck cutting must have worked from what u said too (thought it had anyway like), always something interesting going on in your growing world and always expertly done.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast