Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Site security

Icon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    I agree with everything you said but to be honest the measures I posted weren't really user security as such but more site security and bringing attention to the site. Something simple like anomonising links out of the site hides traffic and stops unwanted attention. Sites like this one the less attention they bring to themselves the less specific agencies give it. Larger public sites get hassle from the law generally because it boosts public opinion and makes the general public feel like they are doing more than they are. Why bust a site/users when it can't be splashed all over the news/internet

I think your missing the point by quite some margin mate.

Many members on here are discrete due to there personal circumstances but the majority i would suggest are keen to stand up for their personal right to smoke/grow their own weed

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times

joro you the man!!
    i believe that it is admins and moderators responsibility to ensure the security of the site, all members should be vetted and made to jump though a few hoops before allowed to obtain membership "peoples criminal record and freedom is at stake here" thats one of the reasons i attempted to suggest compulsory signing of the "legalize cannabis" petition as a price to gain membership because people that are willing to turn you over aint gona be to willing to sign it and the petitions security (email addreses, home addreses, full name) could possibly protect the site from minors aswell...

Their aint much you can do to protect your members from the police with a court order but you could at least make an effort considering the shop that is attached to this site is been used by its members & makes the owners a very fair amount of profit for doing very little, the way i see it you owe it to your members considering they pay your bills.

Where`s your security umbrella THCTalk, think you need one considering the possibility that your members/friends posting here could take their freedom for a few years & land them in the nick (jail)..

I got a similer response joro one of which was extremely offensive to me & caused me to reconsider my membership of this site im only here making this post because i see you (joro) have the same concerns as i had

Ok you can ban me now if thats what you wish fellas but thats me blunt as a pick axe handle

Happy Xmas & new year all
    Last edited by Budmore; 18-12-11 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks

as I 've become involved with this and another site like it I 've looked into security. I don't understand this torrent stuff so I 'm talking about just posting to the web. SO ... it seems to me there is ultimately no such thing as a secure post or upload.

for example TOR has 'end to end' weaknesses. I don't understand receiver-end weaknesses, but many are fearful that what gets posted here will be intercepted along the line and a trail will be found back to the sender. but most of what goes on here and on sites like this is not worth that sort of international information sharing. (I 'm in Oz, yr probly in the UK and this site is in Holland. that's a lot of international co-operation to bust fart-arse home growers.)

it seems to me the big weakness is from sender-end. I mean that if authority is sus to you and they think you're worth the effort, authority in yr country or state can obtain a court order to install a rootkit in your server's works and then they can see everything you upload AND download.

so ultimately security depends on you staying cool at home. say and do nothing that will make it worth while for authority to take out a court order and serve it on yr internet server.

all in all I do not feel comfortable with this situation. beyond my keyboard I have no control. I am not interested in becoming a martyr for the cause of cannabis and this is why I don't talk here about what I may or may not be doing.
    Last edited by wilbur; 18-12-11 at 02:46 AM.
    "One must try to be a good citizen, Sir. It's ... our Heritage." (Young Gaoler to Captain Starlight, a bushranger in colonial times.) what a sheep the Gaoler was. how about YOU?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeWidow View Post
    Really? compulsory to give email address,home address and full name? So what security could you offer me as a grower over the net with all that detail about me?
    the most security we can offer is your details are locked away safe in holland! We do not know any other details than the email and username you use and the IP that can easily be hidden!
    i have ran an online gaming clansite as admin & i know these sites log your IP because i could ban an IP, as for the petition siging i was more looking at the rigmoro of signing petitions would not interest children and people that are willing to go to the bother would be in complete agreement with the legalization of cannabis and it could possibly defend against police on the high & mighty without a court order aka Snoopers looking for the next bust

We are breaking the law safe is a court order away for breaking UK law regardless of where the site is,

Sorry you are wrong on this, the NEW deals rag's set up recently now pay the bills. Ragman was paying out his own pocket for to long
    Which i have the upmost repect to the man for its a good site i aint saying he dont deserve to make some coin outa the deal, im saying that THC talk should take a lil more care for security of its members against snoopers and minors

Im sat here at the moment eyeing over the seed wholesaler catalogue and trust me "i near enough pissed my pants when i saw how cheap the "Top end" seeds actually are from the wholesaler ie LA Confidential £26 for 6 fem, OG Kush £28 for 6 fem how much are they in the THC shop "serious profit" Now i see that as a case of do your best to help your members keep their nuts above the boiler

Thats the risk YOU take when YOU decide to grow cannabis? we cannot take that risk on our heads surely?? We are only here to help.
    Yes it is only your choice to grow weed but when people are placing trust in a site that sites owners should be doing its best to defend that trust,

we cannot take that risk on our heads surely?? We are only here to help
    anyone assisting anyone else in the growth of cannabis is also breaking the law, wether its doin the watering or giving pointers so you fellas are taking a risk.

What im saying is you guys have a nice atmosphere & loyal members on this site that if you place small security measures in place it may prevent people from being watched on this site by unscrupulous new members that could be a threat
    Last edited by Budmore; 18-12-11 at 03:44 AM.

blurry-vision Guest

I thought you were off MR C ? It seemed to be what you were saying to me when we spoke recently ?

And to think I took time out to try and persuade you otherwise, yet now you're back on dissing the site security ?

Fact is most if not all sites of this nature do things the same if not worse than here. Like OW says it is up to the user to decide if the risks of been on here are worth taking. I suggest you take that on board and also realise that a) THC is as secure as it can realistically be and b) don't say you're off and then come back basically to just stick the boot in on matters that are not worth kicking a fuss up over, it seems to me that you're just trying to stir things up out of spite almost

But hey I could be wrong just doesn't look good from where I am sitting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blurry-vision For This Useful Post:

blurry-vision Guest

Plus another thing is this.

You don't HAVE to be on here to successfully grow, you also don't have to post a diary and you can also look at the number of plants you grow to further provide peace of mind.

So bearing all that in mind why oh why would anyone make a point of coming on here to stir all this up ?

NO-ONE IS FORCING YOU TO BE HERE !

Make your own mind up about this, it is not admins problem to cover every possible way you could be caught out, that responsibility lies at your own feet.

And to suggest the shop was making huge profits when compared to the running costs and therefore somehow 'owes' the members on here is just plain silly.

Plus you could also argue that the harder you try and hide something, the more it looks like you have something to hide. It is a percy site for percy growers, with the server in Holland, that is all it takes for me to feel comfortable on here.
    Last edited by blurry-vision; 18-12-11 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,463 Times

Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    Just been wondering recently there seems to be quite a few people getting busted
    ?? up2 sadly did recently but who else?? it sure isnt quite a few from what i see.

wah wah Guest

Up2 and tempa are the only ones i,ve read about recently and both got grassed, now,t to do with THC.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

Pirate sites are the bane of very large businesses that stand to lose a fortune in royalties and profits from the copying and sharing of their products.
    The majority of people prosecuted by courts for piracy and file sharing are those that have track records and have shared files and software on a large scale. They are prosecuted to deter anyone else from doing the same and it works in some cases as the public do not like any one else to do something they are too frightened to do themselves and we hear arguments like ´´i pay why shouldn´t everyone´´
    The companirs that prosecute have a vested interest and are backed by laws to protect them but must use their own money to bring a civil action in the hope of recouping some money but in reality the main aim is to deter others from doing the same.
    Percy growers if caught will get a slap on the wrist and the money spent on investigation and prosecution will never be recouped and no money is saved when others are deterred.
    With that knowledge i feel safe that as long as i do not grow for profit and do not grow loads of plants their is no profit or mileage in chasing and prosecuting most members of this site.
    finally if it bothers any one that much do not come on the forum do not grow your own and do buy your weed from the local ´´safe´´ dealer.
    Last edited by wert; 18-12-11 at 11:17 AM.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

Eggbox (19-12-11), up2nogood (18-12-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    Pirate sites are the bane of very large businesses that stand to lose a fortune in royalties and profits from the copying and sharing of their products.
    Though I understand where you are coming from with this Wert, the above can only be based on an assumption of if the people who were downloading in the first place would actually buy whatever it is they wanted (software, music, films) if the download wasn't available.

I would argue that they wouldn't.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast