Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New section for online security

Thanks

Default New section for online security

I think we need a section for personal online security.

We all know the physical risks in having a grow op and can take the 'no tell, no smell, no sell' policy as a good baseline.
    That's ok for the material world but we already broke the no tell rule by posting here and there are various online risks we run as a result.
    Some we may not have considered.

It would be good to have a sticky or 2 with agreed baselines on security for things like posting pics, smartphones, firewalls, host file exclusions, vpn/proxies and stuff. The rest of the section to be for posts to inform and debate individual apps & system changes.

Being by us and for us I also think it should be hidden from guests.

I for sure have some suggestions already and I know Forest is keen to contribute. There's loads of savvy folk here and Collectively I bet we could create a much safer posting experience for us all, and a single thread would be way too cumbersome for such a project.

A big ask I know, what's the chances mod's?
    And would anybody else contribute?

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to v12xjs For This Useful Post:

bergkamp (08-02-12), BIGCH33S3 (08-02-12), blue cheese (24-02-12), C21H30O2 (08-02-12), carpetburn (09-02-12), ChuChu (07-02-12), curious-kitty (19-01-13), Diddydon (08-02-12), dixienormouse (07-02-12), green grass (09-02-13), Grover (07-03-12), HighFlyerFlyingHigh (08-02-12), Jeeves (04-03-13), jibbers (24-02-12), minceorange (11-01-13), MR Grumpy (09-02-12), mrscott (07-02-12), needsmust (14-06-12), NLNo5 (07-02-12), Petal (24-12-12), Simba (10-02-12), tlh2496 (29-10-12), tricone (07-02-12), up2nogood (08-02-12)

Thanks

I would benefit greatly from such a discussion
    May you do well at everything you aspire to do.

Thanks

Not a bad idea I think!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,612 Times

here is all i can think of

1. use a ip hider (which i dont do atm idk y) there is plenty of ip spoofers out there
    2. store all data on a usb small usb key that can easily be thrown in washing machine/dishwasher if some one knocks on the door unexpectedly keep a encrpt key on this
    3. keep a good av such as kasperasky and keep it upto date
    4. dont use your work machine for this site
    5. dont use your 3g signal to browse any site associated with your grow op include buying seeds im numbers on the side of phone is transmitted with this
    6. clear all cache off your browser everytime you log out
    7. have a good firewall installed and operational
    8. regularly scan your machine for spyware using software like S&D search and destroy
    9. try not to browse sites without a ip hider.
    10. reboot your router daily as some routers keep a acl/dns of what site goes were which can be traced
    11. never browse sites such as this one on a shared computer or under the same logins as some one else encase of temp files left over
    12. for extreme security try installing a cut down windows on a flash drive or a linux boot disk and browse sites and order your stuff from that as the flash drive/key/ sd card can easily be thrown in the wash for ruining perposes
    13. if you are getting rid of a old mashine take the hard drive out and stick it threw the dishwasher and stick a few chizzle marks on the disk plate
    14. try not to use a router with wifi as wifi can be easily hacked
    15. check your router to see how many ips are being leased and confirm that those devices add up to the amount that you have. once a user is on your network providing you dont have correct mesures you can easily be hacked
    16. use complicated passwords on all your activity sites one that contains at least 8 charcters 2 caps, 3 syombls and spelt totaly incorrectly easist way to hack atm is dictonary attack here is a exmpale of a old password: !h5u>iVuLI!!
    hard password but easy to remember as !i love kush!! spelt backwards
    17. running netstat -aon on your windows mashine shows all the places your desktop is accessing right now and is worth to go down the ip list to see which goes were
    18. if you are browsing the net only browsing nothing most routers have a firewall add 3 rules rule
    1 is yourip any 80 allow
    2 yourip any 443
    3 any any deny

obviously you will need to insert a rule above number 3 for anti virus updates anti spyware and anything else you use.

19. dont use key words on the net that the goverment look for such bomb ect ect
    20. dont store your credit cards on any sites dont use remember me password option on any sites such as this
    21. if you are using a 3g phone download avg for that phone or the apple equivlenet
    22. you can also purchase a motion capture camera to keep at your grow op connected to your laptop while your not there and it will take pics and send them to your phone kind of technology helping you

a bit of home work
    dl
    zonealarm
    avg
    spybot S & D search and destroy
    thats all i can think of top of my head for now there is a few more items to my checklist is 35 long
    Last edited by C21H30O2; 08-02-12 at 02:23 AM.
    1st. Paradise - Opium -Complete-

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to C21H30O2 For This Useful Post:

Amber Reef (26-10-12), BIGCH33S3 (08-02-12), doobi (25-02-12), green grass (09-02-13), needsmust (14-06-12), techiebabe (08-02-12), tlh2496 (29-10-12), up2nogood (08-02-12), v12xjs (08-02-12)

Thanks

So how serious should I be taking online security. How many times has someone been busted from using these kind of sites?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,967 Times

good idea , i think as i'll admit i dont know shit about this sort of stuff and could do with some easy walkthroughs or advice .
    think a lot of people would find it useful.

i will put it to the other mods

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergkamp For This Useful Post:

NLNo5 (08-02-12), v12xjs (08-02-12)

Thanks

Very helpful list to get the ball rolling C21. Thanks for posting.

Hey Bergkamp, that's great news and much appreciated.

Hey NL, that's the million dollar question I think. Cops tend not to reveal their sources so we are unlikely to find a true figure.
    Worth remembering tho that digital images contain personal info known as metadata, and images taken on smartphones contain the same data along with gps location details of where and when the pic was taken.
    Basically that's a signed confession.
    It is definitely worth knowing that fact and turning off the facility if at all possible for those who post from their mobiles.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v12xjs For This Useful Post:

C21H30O2 (08-02-12), techiebabe (08-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by v12xjs View Post

Hey NL, that's the million dollar question I think. Cops tend not to reveal their sources so we are unlikely to find a true figure.
    Worth remembering tho that digital images contain personal info known as metadata, and images taken on smartphones contain the same data along with gps location details of where and when the pic was taken.
    It is definitely worth knowing that fact and turning off the facility if at all possible for those who post from their mobiles.
    anytime yr GPS is activated...yr pics/vids on yr fone are unsafe and open to upload !!!!! KEEP NOTHING YOU DONT WANT PEOPLE TO SEE!!!!!
    I am not a bitch, I just have a low tolerance for bullshit!! - quote: Myself
    and lo, the moral high ground was surrounded by the valley of hypocrisy - quote: Myself, again

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...reath-lodgers) - all done and dusted !!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to techiebabe For This Useful Post:

v12xjs (08-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by v12xjs View Post

i am ECH certified :P (ethical certified hacker)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techiebabe View Post
    anytime yr GPS is activated...yr pics/vids on yr fone are unsafe and open to upload !!!!! KEEP NOTHING YOU DONT WANT PEOPLE TO SEE!!!!!
    i dont think gps can send that form of data cross not 100% sure but i know bluetooth and infared and can that is less secure then wifi

gps is global positioning it calcs the lattertuide and longertude of your postion the protcol it uses can not support media. everthnig IT based uses protocol so it has to apply for that rule but it doesnt stop using one protocol to get access and then enable another protocol
    Last edited by C21H30O2; 08-02-12 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast