Thread: Stress testing of potential mum/dads for breeding?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

Default Stress testing of potential mum/dads for breeding?

I was just wondering if anyone has any info on stress testing potential breeding plants to assess their stabiliy for breeding i.e the potential for hermie traits ? I know I basically have to use lighting and temperature fluctuations to try and stress them out enough to hermie but was just wondering if anyone else has tried this and did they have a uniform procedure for doing it so different plants can be compared without having to do large batches at one time ! I have tried searching google but can only really find references to stress training but no actual info on the best techniques to use . Any info would be much appreciated . peace

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20), Petal (22-10-20), Valentina (17-04-21)

Deep underground in my secret nuclear bunker.
    Thanks

Theres lots of ways to stress a plant depending what your trying to do,over/under fertilisation,odd lighting patterns and neglect,spidermites extreme hot/cold but if its hermis your looking for then use odd lighting patterns or have a few small light leaks.Most plants will put out 1-2 male flowers if you let them flower for alot longer then normal,its a self-preservation mode if you like which happens when the fem plant can't sense any males so in a last atempt to to pass on the plants genetics to the next generation.

hope that helps.
    Plant a Seed
    ........&........
    Free the Weed

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showg.../500/ppuser/11

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marijuanamat For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20), G_UNIT (14-03-12)

Thanks

cheers for the reply man ,It seems nobody else has any interest in this topic lol . Tbh i usually have had no problem stressing plants out and have had to deal with many of the problems you listed above in past grows lol .I understand about the self preservation herms but what i am really interested in is making sure i can weed out any plants that carry a genetic trait that will make them herm early in flower. i was just wondering if anyone else had tried stress testing and come up with good system for it .. i will probably just stick with light and temp fluctuations for testing but have not found any info on the sort of light fluctuations that would induce a herm and how long i should test the plants for before being pretty sure that they are stable enough . peace

6. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

I suppose you'd want the quickest way for hermies to show....or not...and that would mean being prepared to sacrifice a lot of plants.

But if that is your aim, how about interrupting the dark cycle for about 15mins for about 7 concurrent days (or until hermies show if earlier) in early flower. Once the first hermies start showing return to normal photoperiods and see how the non-hermied ones play out. The problem being that you'd have probably altered the hormonal balance in favour of hermies, and any seeds may then also have the same, increased hermy tendency?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20)

Thanks

cheers for posting GB ,see thats the sort of plan i was thinking about tbh man .A few of my mums have been revegged so i'm pretty sure they are stable as revegging a plant is one of the most stressfull things you can do to but i have a few that are untested . I will be using cuts for stress testing as it means i can do it in a little cupboard out of the way without having to use my flower and veg rooms . as far as altering their hormone balance ,it's just a risk i'llhave to take tbh as i would rather know the hermie potential of plants i plan on breeding , tbh if more certain seedbanks employed these sort of tactics maybe we would have fewer people on the forum with hermies. peace

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20), Goodbuddy (15-03-12)

nuube Guest

I had a Durban poison I tried to stress. I gave her hell she was pulled and poked over fed over watered, under-watered, hot and strange light cycles. She took everything I could throw at her and was still fine - and a great smoke to boot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marijuanamat View Post
    Theres lots of ways to stress a plant depending what your trying to do,over/under fertilisation,odd lighting patterns and neglect,spidermites extreme hot/cold but if its hermis your looking for then use odd lighting patterns or have a few small light leaks.Most plants will put out 1-2 male flowers if you let them flower for alot longer then normal,its a self-preservation mode if you like which happens when the fem plant can't sense any males so in a last atempt to to pass on the plants genetics to the next generation.

hope that helps.
    i've allowed afew plants to flower longer than normal n also re-vegging a plant 2 or 3 times will do the trick
    but i found if you allow the plant to flower for 2weeks then throw it in to veg for a week then back into flowering you'll start to see male pollen sacks

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Green_thumb For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-20), Petal (22-10-20), Valentina (17-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,639 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Green_thumb View Post
    i've allowed afew plants to flower longer than normal n also re-vegging a plant 2 or 3 times will do the trick
    but i found if you allow the plant to flower for 2weeks then throw it in to veg for a week then back into flowering you'll start to see male pollen sacks
    I've discovered completely by accident with current breeding I'm doing offseason outdoors will definitely put the plants through their paces.

I seeded the first cross that endured the cold winter being frozen and they blitzed it.

They came into flower as spring hit so I bred brother to two sisters and one of them has started showing nanas.

The other one hasn't yet and is a different pheno so there could be hope yet that she is ok and not hermie susceptible...I hope!

Here is seeded True Blue W1 showing the nana.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Petal For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-10-20), GEORGE (22-10-20), IceCalibur (22-10-20), Valentina (17-04-21)