Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: flood and drain build with pics (updated)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

hopefully ill have this thread up and running again...
    i have got all the home made flood and drain kit still up in the loft - going to buy a kids paddling pool for the floor of my growroom in the loft so there will be no more water coming through the ceiling if a float switch fails.

i have just ordered some seeds, t5 light and some rockwool cubes along with a 4ft tube heater i reclaimed from a toilet block that was being demolished by me.

i have been away for a while with one of my best friends killing himself and the birth of my baby girl taking up all my time, now she is coming on for 9mnths things have settled a little so back on fleebay i go to buy some new equipment.

cheers
    ken

2. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

right so a little more progress... few bits and bobs bought.

bought some of this stuff as the other stuff i used wasnt strong enough to hold the pump £1.99

water proof nuff said

15 meters of standard garden hose £10

this is an enclosed wire connector, it has 4 copper connecting posts with 4 slits for wires to enter

now to clean and inspect the bucket

glue the pump (would have preffered clear stuff as it would have made a cleaner look but couldnt find any)

i put a bit folded card in front of the pump so it doesnt slide down the bucket and block the pump on base of bucket

changed position of water temp and temp wired up pump to float sensor

now i have glues the wire connector base onto the bucket using silver tap to keep inplace until glue drys

right now i know the float switch works as when i lift it up the pump fires up so once the glue drys im going to fill it up connect some hose and check out how it drains and how low the water goes before the float switch switches off the pump.
    hopefully i can get it so there is about 10-20mm of water left in there (dont want pump running dry)

once i have completed this i will then attach the other pump (fill pump in res) and set her away filling and draining see if all the level are good then wire everything up into the connector thing on side of bucket and get all the pipe work sorted up into the loft!!!

keep watch im getting there lol
    cheers
    ken
    Last edited by funkydawg; 05-05-13 at 11:17 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

some very good progress today... leek tested the system tested the pumps and float switches also wired in the brain bucket float switch to pump!
    only got a couple of pics as my iphone is being a twat and i cant email them over to put onto photobucket (ill sort it out in the morning)

cheers
    ken
    Last edited by funkydawg; 05-05-13 at 08:15 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

green grass (07-05-13)

Thanks

pics of the setup, filled up via pump in sink (not connected to float switch yet but will be once i setup the res) draining using the pump and float switch to check empty level so to make sure the pump switches off before water level is too low causing pump to run dry!!

all the wiring inside the brain bucket has been pulled tight and tied up as to stop them from hooking over the float switches causing overfill etc (i learned this the hard way with the other bucket i designed)

finished water level give or take 10mm

draining

pleased to say there where no leaks and pump drained to leave about 10-15mm of water in bottom so float switch works, all in all the drain circuit works perfect now to wire in the fill pump and get all the plumbing up into the loft and set it away on timers.

cheers for looking
    ken
    Last edited by funkydawg; 06-05-13 at 07:42 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Adambomb (12-07-13), ChuChu (06-05-13)

Thanks

***bump***

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,640 Times

Looks good mate, similar to how mine works..
    The silicon you have used is it safe for aquariums so it doesn't mess with the water and kill the plants..

When are you thinking of getting it in action..
    Should grow some beasts in them pots..

Peace..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChuChu For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (06-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu View Post
    Looks good mate, similar to how mine works..
    The silicon you have used is it safe for aquariums so it doesn't mess with the water and kill the plants..

When are you thinking of getting it in action..
    Should grow some beasts in them pots..

Peace..
    You know I never even thought about that, ill cut off the excess glue and coat the suckers with aquarium silicon
    That's the reason I posted It on her-its helpful to others and also mistakes I make can be pointed out before its to late!!!
    Cheers for that....

I'm looking to have it running this weekend coming or next, waiting on my rockwool cubes and t5 light.
    Ill get some more pics once I get back up in loft

Cheers
    Ken

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

ChuChu (06-05-13)

Friday Guest

Alright dude
    Just had a read threw of ur thread and I'm very impressed mate. It's a really good DIY job and I can tell uv put a bit of thought into it.
    I look forward to seeing them in action mate.
    Well done dude

Friday
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...tyliee-#128523

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Friday For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (06-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    Alright dude
    Just had a read threw of ur thread and I'm very impressed mate. It's a really good DIY job and I can tell uv put a bit of thought into it.
    I look forward to seeing them in action mate.
    Well done dude

Friday
    Thank you!
    I don't normally do this kinda thing but the price for a Iws system was a little steep for me and with the headroom I had the pots would have been too tall so off I went with the idea - 2 pumps, 2 float switches,a bucket, 3 window boxes, water butt and a few bits n bobs...
    It's been fun

Cheers
    Ken

17. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Friday Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkysnair View Post
    Thank you!
    I don't normally do this kinda thing but the price for a Iws system was a little steep for me and with the headroom I had the pots would have been too tall so off I went with the idea - 2 pumps, 2 float switches,a bucket, 3 window boxes, water butt and a few bits n bobs...
    It's been fun

Cheers
    Ken
    U done real good mate and uv give a real good detailed thread of how u built it so I know others that are thinking of doing the same will get alot from it mate.

I just want to see her in full flow now

Friday

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Friday For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (06-05-13)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast