Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: flood and drain build with pics (updated)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

Default flood and drain build with pics (updated)

hey boys and girls welcome to my thread
    recently i have become interested on designing my own flood and drain system with float switches and at a low cost this is partly due to the fact that these flood and drain company built untis are a little expensive and also the fact that my grow is in the loft and i have very limited hight so the tall buckets are out of the question.
    and i wanted to maybe inspire other people to try there own

grow room in the making

anyway i bought a few bits and bobs from the local shops and also from online, shopped around to get the cheapest to keep my price down.
    i wanted to use some of the window boxes (i think there called) as they dont stand as tall as my other pots "anyhow"
    ill give you a diagram i drew up of my intitial plan for the resivour and brain bucket

(take no notice of the 2 feeds as im using 3)

there will be 2 float switches located inside the brain bucket, one will turn the drain pump off when lowest water level is reached and the other will turn res pump of when highest water level is reached in the brain pot these will be controlled by 2 indipendant timers.

bits and bobs i have up to now
    3x WINDOW BOXES £15
    1x 20lt BUCKET £7
    8x 13MM IWS SEALING GLANDS £13 (i got a few extra)
    30m 13MM GARDEN HOSE £15
    1x AQUARIUM SEALANT £6

here we go few pics

meassured 1inch from base to center of galnd 3inchs apart to center of gland marked with perminant marker then started to drill with number 25 wood drill bit

finnished holes in brain bucket along with a couple of holes in lid for in/out tubing, i also took my time in making sure the surface was smooth after drilling to get a water tight fitting with sealing glands so fingers crossed all is water tight obviously the lid holes dont need to be water tight but i still smoothed them over for asthetics

same proceedure for the planters-picture of sealing gland in place

aquarium sealant is applied after test fitting of all glands inside and out gets a thin beed

this is a pic of all glands inplace with aquarium sealant applied and drying, notice the 2 glands on the top this is just to keep the hose nice and firm inplace-i also put a gromit in there for the wire from pump and for airpump tubing

this is a pic of a float switch but im going to purchase different model (wow i have a fat hand lol)

next i cut my hose using a cigar cutter (nice and sharp)

this is as far as i have done up to now, i just await the pumps and float switches, will leak test tomorrow sometime after work

THANX FOR LOOKING PEOPLE
    Last edited by Mr Pothead; 06-05-13 at 09:59 AM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Adambomb (12-07-13), bunfight (08-07-13), Bushwacked74 (15-09-15), green grass (07-05-13), jericho (23-07-13), jibbers (11-03-12), Mr Bloom (12-03-12), PhilZenMaster (19-07-13), Special Branch (08-07-13), umbongo (17-03-12), up2nogood (11-03-12)

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

very good..will you be using these soon?

Looking for New Pastures

4. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (11-03-12)

Thanks

thanx for the comment, yes i should be using it next couple of weeks!
    i already have a designed brain bucket in the loft now watering my babys-although i have suffered from pump failure!!!!!
    i need to buy some new pumps as my other ones are about 4yrs old now

Thanks

UPDATE!

leak test has been done, no problems what so ever

half an hour with water in, im happy but ill do a test for a while longer once i get the float switches in there etc

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Billbo78 (08-07-13), jibbers (11-03-12), Mr Bloom (12-03-12), umbongo (17-03-12), up2nogood (11-03-12)

Thanks

great stuff..what will you be growing in these?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (11-03-12)

Thanks

i have some barneys farm - LSD
    got some cheese flowering away at the min so ive set off a motherplant under my t5 which is coming on very nice indeed, enough time for her to get big to take cuttings

Thanks

diary i hope?

Thanks

yeh man why not, i have alot of equipment but not alot of growing know how so ill post up diary and also take on some advice/help
    i have a 600watt hps-1000watt hps light and ballast so i need some info on which to use for my space so once cheese is harvested ill be in the grow room meassuring the space.
    cheese enjoyed the 600watt hps so much its decided to grow a little too close so i need to keep this LSD nice and low

Mr-Lover Guest

Wow What a Good Start, Looks Like a Good Plan Mate Looking Foward To Seeing This Will Be Keeping a Eye in Goodluck to ya THC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr-Lover For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (11-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THC-Lover View Post
    Wow What a Good Start, Looks Like a Good Plan Mate Looking Foward To Seeing This Will Be Keeping a Eye in Goodluck to ya THC
    thank you for that

16. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast