Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Light chart's

Thanks

Default Light chart's

Spectrum:

The diagram above shows the full range of light and where each type of lighting system falls within that range. Artificial lights produce just a slice of the full range. This leads to much discussion and experimentation to determine which, or which combination of lighting is best for a particular crop.

Lets establish a reference point to work from, examine several types of lighting and put this information to practical use.

Reference point: For most of the daylight hours, the outside daylight peak is centered on 5500 degrees Kelvin (refer to the above chart).

Metal Halide: These lights emit a light on the bluish side of the spectrum. They are considered a grow light and it is considered that they produce a more stalky vegetative type of growth in plants. These lights are commonly used throughout all phases of plant growth and produce excellent results.

Agro Sun Halide: Agro Sun is a hybrid halide bulb that generates extra red light for flower and fruit production. This is considered to be the best choice for artificial lighting of plants.

Sodium Vapor: Sodium vapor lighting is way down in the red. There is some indication as well as a lot of marketing hype that the spectrum produced by these lights promote flowering. Personally, I'd like to see a scientific study to verify this.

The bottom line on spectrum: Spectrum is secondary to the over all
    indensity. Remember, in any artificial lighting situation, we are able to
    provide only a fraction of natural lighting. Therefore, it is more
    important to provide intensity than any other lighting factor. For
    example if you have to choose between a 70 watt sodium vapor and a
    400 watt metal halide the only choice is the 400 watt system. The over
    all performance will be much greater, even if you favor a certain spectrum.
    Last edited by M_C; 06-12-14 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

I know this wont help much because as this site grows more and more, more people will ask. But 125watt envirolites (and other compact florescents) are acceptable methods of growing. Both blue and red spec have shown proven success but anyone will tell you that using a metal hallide (MH) or high preasure sodium (HPS) will increase your yeild dramatically. Many people use a 125 watt blue spectrum to keep their mother plants and clones under, while they keep a flowering room with a HPS light system. You can grow a plant with 17watts if you want to, but the reason you dont is its just now worth it in the end. Hope this helped. Cheers.
    Amber jar, green leaf, red bic and a bowl...

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blueberryog For This Useful Post:

Bubblegum (06-08-12), caveman fi flk (29-09-13), Chupakabra (28-01-15), GEORGE (09-02-15), The Solyom (09-03-20), turbotoker (14-04-11)

Thanks

I have recieved the MH bulb I ordered but I think i've got the wrong one. Mines 4000k (standard clear metal halide)...

....I'm guessing its a 5,500K (Daylight metal halide) that I need. Is this right?

DOH!

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

In terms of power consumption it will only matter the Watts of the lamp despite being MH HPS or envirolite correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Also I saw in some sites, stores that swell a combo of MH and HPS.

"Powerplant Hobby Grow Light With 400W Grolux & Powerplant Halide Combo"

These combos allow to turn off one of the lamps? Each lamp is a 400W one? if so the ballast must be one of 400w, or must be one of 800W? I am curious because I read that that best growing light is a mix of MH and HPS, and then being able to turn the MH off and use only the HPS to flower would be awesome.

Thanks

Quality thread LK full of good info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X_Ice_X View Post
    Also I saw in some sites, stores that swell a combo of MH and HPS.

"Powerplant Hobby Grow Light With 400W Grolux & Powerplant Halide Combo"

These combos allow to turn off one of the lamps? Each lamp is a 400W one? if so the ballast must be one of 400w, or must be one of 800W? I am curious because I read that that best growing light is a mix of MH and HPS, and then being able to turn the MH off and use only the HPS to flower would be awesome.
    you only have one ballast and one reflector. you start vegging with the metal halide bulb in the reflector (18 hours of light a day) then you change bulb to the sodium one for the flowering period of your grow (12 hours of light a day)

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Ah ok I see, so basically it is a complete set with an extra lamp. Thanks mate.

Thanks

thats what we're here for mate!

Diaper Guest

One day I'll sort my act out and get me a metal halide lamp to go with my solitary sodium set-up.
    One day.....

Must be almost 2 years that I've used nothing but a 600w Son-T in my cooltube. I tried one of those sunblaster lamps, but didn't rate it at all. No complaints about the 110w brightwing I use for clones though, same 2 bulbs for over 2 years no worries!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast