Thread: 'Leggy' germinated seeds, can I/should I take a cutting and start again? Pics inside

Thanks

Default 'Leggy' germinated seeds, can I/should I take a cutting and start again? Pics inside

I'm a first timer and have germinated two different types of seeds, Killawatt and Milk (White Widow). I left them under a normal low energy light bulb too long and have ended up with:

Name:  Complete1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  2.6 KB

On the left are 2 Killawatt that didn't notice they had any light at all and kept growing up with just the 2 starter leaves. One has a couple of brown spots they picked up a day or two ago.

Name:  Killawat.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.7 KB

The centre pot has a late developing seed as well as the top of a snapped Killawatt plant that came off when I was putting under a T5 light unit - I'm thinking the snapped off one should be kept if possible as it was 30-40% taller than the other two so maybe the most vigorous?

Name:  Keeper.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  2.4 KB

The two on the right are Milk (White Widow) that got the first proper sets of leaves while 6' or so below a low energy home light bulb.

Name:  Milk.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.1 KB

My thinking is that as the two Killawatt plants have very weak stems would it be a good idea to turn them into cuttings? I would do this with all of them to keep heights the same so I can keep the T5 lighting 2cm or so above them all. I am at least 4 weeks, probably closer to 8, away from being ready to house them in a groom with decent lighting so no rush.

I'm wanting a mother from both seed types to be used for cuttings in single strain grows in the future, any leftovers will be grown on for experience when my groom is set up (I'm assuming 8 weeks is too short a time to get 8 cuttings from one of these plants, but 8 weeks plus a flowering should be enough time?)

Thanks

I put some straws around the weak stems.

No reason for these pics:

Killawatt roots followed by Milk (White Widow) roots.

Name:  Milk_WW_Roots.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.9 KB
    Last edited by Maxzero; 15-06-12 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Add root shots

Hillbilly Guest

I am no Hydro guy but in soil I just plant them all the way to there first leaf maybe you can bend there stem in there pots till there just pocking out of them and get better lights on them to stop the stretch, they might even grow more roots from the stem up to there leafs. just don't want to brake the stem when your bending them in there pot. but will need more light and there to young to take cuttings from till about 8 weeks old.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Maxzero (15-06-12)

Thanks

In theory then if I move them to bigger pots I can set the height of the plant tops by setting them at different levels within the bigger pots.

The stretching should have stopped as they are now under a dual T5 (3-5cm above the top of the plants when not lifted to take pics), however they do need to be moved into bigger net pots and soon as the roots are exploding out the sides of the little rockwool blocks they are in.

The photos are poor (and don't expand when you click on them like in the diaries etc I read on THCT, more research lol) however all the leaf growth is in about 1cm of plant at the top, which is 3 sets of the secondary leaves and tip for the Milk variety