Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Take your pick of the experiments.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

Lightbulb Take your pick of the experiments.

Experimentation is GOOD!

It helps to take things forward, sometimes a looong way, and is a fantastic way to learn first hand when you do them. It also helps to put some meat on the bones of those well debated misconceptions and old-wives-tales, and may throw up interesting side effects that can be taken advantage of.

But, not everyone has the time, space, commitment or wherewithal to participate. Just about everyone has some ideas, or things they've heard that they would like proving/disproving, and even the most compellingly forceful 'opinions' are just that, opinions. We need to see the reality!

So I was thinking to myself dangerous I know! and probably re-triggered by Ph1 getting the Experiment section created , why not put up a thread with the things that could do with being played with, demonstrated, proven, dis-proven etc,.and where members can post their ideas for such shenanigans? Willing members can then take up the challenge/mettle, create their own thread of the suggestion/experiment they are able to take on and then we all get almost first-hand experience or incentive to try things ourselves.

So to get the ball rolling, I am going to lay down a few experimental challenges for peeps to run with or add to

Starting with

• 1) 24hours Dark Before switching to flowering photoperiod.
      Does it really trigger a faster flowering response? Two identically grown plants. When the time comes flip one straight away, leave the other in the dark, and see if there is notable/beneficial difference to commencement of flowering.
    • 2) 7 days Darkness at end of flowering.
      Two Identically grown plants, as harvest approaches put one into darkness for the final week and see if it does make a difference to trichome production, visibly on the plant, and phsycoactively when imbibed.
    • 3) Just what can you produce with one or two 30w/40w household CFL bulbs.
      Do a little grow using household cfl, be good if it is a familiar strain, diarise it and see how the plant/light performs.
    • 4) Soil and PH. Just how important is it
      Two identically grown plants in soil. One left to it's own devices, the other always having the PH set to 6.4-6.7. Which one does the best.
    • 5) Paper Towel, Soak, Straight to medium, Germination of seeds.
      Take a seed batch, run all three germination methods and grow them out identically (or at least for the first few weeks) to see which performs best, has the better germination success and grows up the fastest/strongest/healthiest. Variants including different medums (soil, peatpots, jiffycoir pellets, perlite, sand, rockwool)
    • 7).....Effect of UVB Lighting on resin production and potency
      Does having a UVB light running for several hours a day in flowering effect resin production and ultimate bud potency.
    • 8)......Light Cycle Variations
      DLR/GLR/Short Day and Night Cycles, Interrupted Dark Cycles. Amended flowering periods. What differences do they make to Yield, Growth, Timescales of growing.
    • 9)......Increasing chances of females from regular seeds
      Heat, humidity, nutes, banana supplied ethylene gas, 14/10 lighcycles.
    • 10).....Upping the Yield : Fimming your buds, crushing the herd
      Does bud-fimming or crushing the herd, of early developing buds produce more/better/stronger buds.
    • 11)......Autoflowering plant LightPeriods
      Which is best : 24/0 20/4, 18/6, 12/12.
    • 12)......Phases of the Moon
      Does the moon have an effect on germination and male/female ratios. Do plants germinated at different phases of the moon perform differently/better/worse depending upon that lunar phase?
    • 13)......ideas for more experiments please

Please feel free to add suggestions/ideas, try not to be obviously stupid, but it does help occasionally and post in this thread if you take up an experiment on offer. Be prepared to sacrifice the test subjects to the greener good of all, and who knows we may all be able to finally put our minds at ease.

Over to you......
    Last edited by Goodbuddy; 24-09-12 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added experimental ideas

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Axeman (25-10-12), B.A.BARACUS (22-09-12), ChuChu (22-09-12), Dabber (24-09-12), hajcyher (06-10-12), james bond (17-10-12), jibbers (22-09-12), LBN (22-09-12), lil rasta (22-09-12), Mr Swilly (15-11-13), Murdock (22-09-12), psychocannanaut (22-09-12), Rickster (23-09-12), spoodge (18-01-14), THE DUDE ABIDES (22-09-12), TIKTOK (22-09-12), urban grower (07-10-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,327 Times

i was skeptical of the 24hr dark period to produce faster flowers but it would intresting to give it a go so im willing to take the challenge and try it out in 12 days
    ..Time Is Neva Wasted When Your Wasted All The Time..

Dont Forget To Vote In Plant Of The Month

blue-c's-black-rose-x-lemon stinky...finished dec 2012

Stoner's live stoner's die fuck the world lets get high!! pots a plant it grows in the ground
    if god didn't like it it wouldn't be around. so pack a bowl party hard and rock and roll
    to all you prep's who think your cool FUCK YOU!!! bitches stoner's rule

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blue cheese For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Goodbuddy (22-09-12), james bond (17-10-12), LBN (22-09-12), TIKTOK (22-09-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,428 Times

Controlled Uv light & low humidity for resin increase, been reading about it lately ?
    Last edited by Mindless; 22-09-12 at 03:06 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mindless For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Goodbuddy (22-09-12), TIKTOK (22-09-12)

Simon Champion! Brighton Bounty Champion! Apple Hunt Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,780 Times

I am still on my very first grow so don't want to experiment too much... yet. I could try #2 from Goodbuddy's list and might try diminishing 12hours down to 10hrs, will check back in to see what else is posted. Hardon has information on a light schedule, think its GLR Gas Light Routine...https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...370&do=discuss
    Sounds interesting.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lil Sindigo For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Goodbuddy (22-09-12), TIKTOK (22-09-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,916 Times

Brilliant idea GB, I love experiments and experimenting. There's so much misinformation out there, even if you google the simplest of questions (canna related or not) you get thousands of answers and can spend hours trying to work out what is best just to end up back to square one. If it takes off maybe set up a separate forum or sub forum to keep everything together.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Goodbuddy (22-09-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,640 Times

Great idea Goodbuddy..

Most of them might be possable in one grow maybe.?
    If any tho its number 5 using root riot cubes id be interested in seeing..
    What ever you decide to do i will be willing you on..
    I know you like a good little experiment..

All the best..
    Peace..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChuChu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,859 Times

i,m very curious of this 12-1 light schedule for veg, 12 hours light on 5 1/2 off 1 on then 5 1/2 off, i,ll try it on my next run and stick a thread up

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Murdock For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Goodbuddy (22-09-12), james bond (17-10-12), jibbers (22-09-12), lil rasta (22-09-12)

mellowed Guest

I've done number 2 and found out that if you leave the plant in the dark for 3 days it will do nothing at all but after 3 days the tricomes start to turn faster than when they are left under the light to mature.

Also done number 4 and found that messing with ph in soil with my water is a big no no. After messing with setting the ph at 6.6 through out the grow the plants were not happy and I struggled with lockouts, was generally a mess and the yield was crap. Have nearly finished my current grow with out adjusting ph or feeding this time round an just potted up when needed and the plants are doing great with 2 weeks left.

Also messed about with a plants ph to see how far I could push it so I was water/feeding at very low ph then next time very high. After a week or so the leaves were showing ph fluctuation problems but no lockout so I stopped with the stupid phing and start to water normally at ph 6.6 for a few weeks then did it again in the approach to flower and this then caused lockouts of every kind you could wish for. I did this for the first 4 weeks of flower until it started to hermie and was looking a mess so then I chopped her down an stuck it in the bin.

The more you play about with the plants the better understanding you will have of what these plants can handle and overcome. It's better to find out yourself how problems start and progress rather than reading about it on a screen. I would suggest to anyone that has a spare plant and room for it to go ahead and play about with it, learn what they will do when you play with the ph and lockout certain nutrients and then you will understand how to read the plants just by looking at them.

Don't do this with all your plants as the final yield will be crappy if messed about with in flower or even in later veg.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (22-09-12), james bond (17-10-12), lil rasta (22-09-12), Lil Sindigo (22-09-12), Mindless (22-09-12), Tetric (30-09-12), THE DUDE ABIDES (23-09-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,723 Times

I am interested in different ratios of light and dark, for example 13 hours dark and 10 hours light and vice versa and also what trig said.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,322 Times

i may give number 3 a stab, ive got a chest of drawers beggin to be turned into a stealth grow
    maybe a small scrog screen in their, that should help up yeilds, 1 large pot, or maybe even a hempy bucket in there
    how about two blue 30watts bulbs, and swap one of the blue spec for a 45 red spec for flower?

could be fun, and ive got a friend in mind that would love a little stealth grow cab i could donate it too afterwards, i think id like a stab and cfl growing, should be fun
    “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” Noam Chomsky

Stay Close to the soil, its good for the soul.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychocannanaut For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast