Thread: Couple quick Q's about my next grow.

Classified under the secret services act 1994
    Thanks

Default Couple quick Q's about my next grow.

So Iv been reading and reading, and have been wanting to go Hydro for some time now. wanting to start out easy with passive before moving up to active hydro. Doing a coco grow at the moment but when that done I want too jump straight onto my next one. Going to be growing Sensi's Super skunk and I'm torn between seting up a wick system for all 10 seeds or Hempy'in 5? Im leaning more and more towards the Hempy purely because of the ease of seting up compared to a wick system.
    I'll be growing and a 1mx1m tent with a 1000w air cooled light Hps for flowering, 400w dual-spec for mid veg and 125w cfl for seedlings and first 2 weeks of veg.

My questions are..... Which should I do, hempy or wick? I have loads of Coco and Hesi coco nutes left and a couple bags of perlite kicking about somewhere I'm sure. Are they ok too use?
    I have a feeling I already know the answers to my own questions but I like too come here just too make sure. Can't beat the knowledge of those who've done it.

Thanks

You could go with either and see how you fare with hydroponic growing, maybe it won't suit you, maybe you'll be tremendous at it. 1000w seems like a awful lot of power for your space, why not use the 400w instead.
    "Weed doesn't fuck up your motivation, it just fucks up your motivation to do things that suck" Joe Rogan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to umbongo For This Useful Post:

gecko82 (02-10-12)

Thanks

Yeah I was thinking that, maybe try hempy first and while thats going I can spend time building a decent wick system. I know I get that from alot of people. I started to use it because I've been growing in soil I werent getting great yeilds from my space with just a 400w. The weed was lovely, tasted just how I wanted! but I was having to grow constantly all year round to keep myself stocked up. So a friend suggested that I upgrade to a 600w as my yeild would be increased slighty, so I went out and bought a dimmable ballast and ail-cooled reflector and the matey in the shop talked me into buying the 1000w bulb, I can be a sucker like that if i go to a shop stoned.
    I only use the 1000w for the last 3 sometimes 4 weeks of flowering and it is fixed to the top of the tent, I must say in my soil grows my yeilds did go up by more than I expected/hoped. I have a coco grow at the minute but havent switched to the 1000w, may just stick a 600w bulb in and see how it goes.

Thanks

Ive heard good things about both systems. Not tried wicking yet, sounds interesting...

Used Hempy/perlite since i started, ive been abit lazy to change.. happy the way things are! they work well, with a perlite res and topped with a coco mix or just coco. 70/30 ratio of perlite/coco mix is what i use above the res. keeps the medium nice.. 1-3 days between watering depending on size/medium.. easy to maintain. they work well on hydro nutes aswell.. but since you have coco...even better, designed for coco so you shouldn't run into problems then...

As mentioned your 1k will be allot for that space... try not to be so easily influenced by deals and sales talk etc
    either way you decide to grow them the 400w or 600w should cover it nicely. as were in the cold season you could get away with the 600w if your air circulation etc is good...will need to fill the room up to make the most tho.. Whats your fan set up like? how do you plan to grow them..

they say 600w cover upto 3.5 x 3.5. it has good spread & penetration. with the air cooled hood should be able to keep them close to the tops..

at the end its all trial and error.

let us know how it goes..
    Last edited by Simba; 04-10-12 at 05:50 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simba For This Useful Post:

gecko82 (08-10-12)

Thanks

I'm going to go with 6 hempy's in 10ltr buckets with perlite res and 70/30 coco/perlite above res. I have done a swap with a friend, my 1000w dimmerable ballest for his brand new 600w Lumatek ballest.
    Set up consist's of.... 1mx1mx2m grow tent, 6" out-take & 6" intake(adjustable speed) icarus king size air-cooled reflector, basic 6" fan cooling reflector, clip-on fan inside tent.
    Im going to be starting my dairy in the next few weeks.