Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UVB/Cannabis science report

Thanks

Default UVB/Cannabis science report

The estimates is my own conclutions based the science and methods described in the article mentioned below. If you come to other comclutions and estimates as to how much Watt light needed, please post your thoughts.

Article: UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis Sativa CHEMOTYPES.
    By: JOHN LYDON, ALAN H. TERAMULA and C. BENJAMIN COFFMAN.
    Department of Botany, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA.

My estimated conclution: "Add 3 x 26w UVB lights / m2 to your grow room and increase THC levels up to 30% in buds"

Read this science article regarding UVB lights effect on drug type cannabis originated from high heigted tropical areas with highly elevated UVB levels. In experiments with plants they have shown an increase of THC concentration levels in leaves (glands) from in a range from 22% - 48% depending on UVB intensity. In flower trichomes they got an increase between 15% - 32%. Thats staggering news! Now, this is laboratory conditions with UVB lights filtered to emitt in 300 nm wavelenght UVB light. It's widely known that THC UVB absorption properties range between 280 - 315 nm, so that is important. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that UVB boosts the THC potency of drug type cannabis, and that dont having UVB light is not realising the full potential of our dear plants! Time for a change imho!

What id like to do is to get an estimate on how indoor growers could reproduce this results at home. To get an estimate on what lights, how much lights, and so on, wich could be beneficial. According to the scientists they used 240w UVB, but i dont know on how big of an area. The scientists says that 13,4 KJ / m2 is the level of UVB used in their trials, and that is as much as the UVB levels in 3000m altitude in mountains where strong marijuana is found to grow. According to the article marijuana grown in these UVB rich areas has a 33% increased THC content compared to the same marijuana grown at sea level.

Looking at wikipedia, i found that 1w = 3600 J (3,6KJ), but that seems a bit high compared to the ammount used by scientists, so I devided it to 0,36 KJ instead thinking i made some error somewhere. If i divide 240w (amount UVB scientist used) in 5m2, i get roughly 72w/m2, wich is around 14KJ according to my estimates, and that fits exactly and seems to be a fair estimate, so i think im on the right track here! Then, a 13w UVB light would give 4,5 KJ. Thats what i use, and that seems a bit lesser than needed. 3 x 26w UVB / m2 in the right spectrum should to the trick to produce massively strong cannabis with approximately up to 30% increased THC production in buds! I noticed the UVB bulb I use has the perfect spectrum for cannabis, repti glo 10.0. They come in 13w and 26w strength, and is avalible in sorted zoo shops.

Exo-Terra Repti Glo 10.0 CFL, specrum chart.

It need to be stressed that UVB light is harmful to humans and plants that dont have developed defences to it (like cannabis has). When having such a bulb in the grow room, it need to be switched of when entering to room. DNA damage and cancer is a known effect of UVB light exposure. Treat the bulbs as if they're radio active.

Peace
    Tetra
    Last edited by Midnight Toker; 11-02-09 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Edited at thread starters request.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tetra For This Useful Post:

countryboy (20-03-14), goby73 (20-02-14), JayKay79 (04-07-16), PhilZenMaster (20-10-11), The Solyom (09-03-20), Woody J (08-02-13)

Thanks

Noticed my spelling sucks, but i ment UVB and not UCB :P Any mod is allowed to change this, plz

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

just a thought ,do you think that all the crossing of strains under artificial conditions may have weakened the presant strains of cannabis we are all growing nowadays .it would be an interesting experiment to do a comparison grow with a pure older strain and a plant from a strain that was created over years of several crosses indoors without too much uv.i say without too much because correct me if i am wrong but does mh lighting emit forms of uv light as there are warnings to not expose skin to mh light without the glass surround which i think acts as a uv filter.would love to have the time and space to experiment and find out.
    good info tetra.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

PhilZenMaster (20-10-11)

Thanks

very very interesting! well done thc.

Where the Ganja grows free and everyones high all day
    Thanks

im very interested in this aritcal 10/10 for Tetrahydrocanna

Thanks

Nice read.
    Might be worth looking in to as the bulbs are cheapish.
    "You Don't need Eye's To See You Need Vision"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    just a thought ,do you think that all the crossing of strains under artificial conditions may have weakened the presant strains of cannabis we are all growing nowadays .it would be an interesting experiment to do a comparison grow with a pure older strain and a plant from a strain that was created over years of several crosses indoors without too much uv.i say without too much because correct me if i am wrong but does mh lighting emit forms of uv light as there are warnings to not expose skin to mh light without the glass surround which i think acts as a uv filter.would love to have the time and space to experiment and find out.
    good info tetra.
    Well, hard to say really, but i think all drug type cannabis that produce thc respond well to UV, it's just the fibre producing hemp wich only has CBD in it that does not respond. CBD levels is not affected by UV, wich is kind of strange, since CBD also acts like a protection against UV. Seems that plants that learned to produce high amounts of THC on buds, main theory is that they had better success on reproducing in high UV areas, and thats why they are found there naturally. Indica strains have naturally more CBD i've heard, but they also produce alot of THC, so i got the impression they also resond well to UV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheech&chong View Post
    very very interesting! well done thc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardking View Post
    im very interested in this aritcal 10/10 for Tetrahydrocanna
    Thanx guys, and thank the scientists for proving this long debated subject

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi Jazz View Post
    Nice read.
    Might be worth looking in to as the bulbs are cheapish.
    Agreed! I'll buy 2x23w as soon as i can afford. At least my present 13w (4.7kJ) is better than nothing. If my estimates are right, one 23w elevates thc by 15% (6.7kJ), and two up to 30% (13.4kJ).

Leaves get even higher elevations than buds, THC in leaves rises up to 48%.

Quote from article: "Regression analyses indicated that there was a significant linear increase in THC with UV-B dose in these tissues. The concentrations of THC in leaf tissue increased by 22% and 48% with a total of daily UV-B dose of 6.7 and 13.4 effective kJ / m2, respectively, as compared to controls. The same levels of UV-B radiation resulted in a 15% and 32% increase in THC, respectively, in floral tissues."

This should mean that the leaves would be a good smoke to with UV treatment. Or at least to make potent hasch-oil

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetra For This Useful Post:

countryboy (20-03-14), PhilZenMaster (20-10-11)

Thanks

Exclamation

If you go to the Sun-Pulse web site you'll see they're already offering UVB specific lamps

However you'll see the lamp sizes are similar to those we already use, 400, 600, etc

These lamps have already been trialed on another site, you need a digital ballast and to get the best have several lamps to swap over as needed, the last week of flowering you use a lamp just for that week

The lamps aren't cheap, around £70 last time I looked, also although Ikon are the listed UK distributors they never have any

I have no idea what putting a low wattage UVB lamp will do, but there's one way to find out and it looks like one of you is set for it ..... good luck

Bush
    Praise the Lord, pass the bullets, we will be Free

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bush Dr For This Useful Post:

countryboy (20-03-14), The Solyom (09-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Dr View Post
    If you go to the Sun-Pulse web site you'll see they're already offering UVB specific lamps

However you'll see the lamp sizes are similar to those we already use, 400, 600, etc

These lamps have already been trialed on another site, you need a digital ballast and to get the best have several lamps to swap over as needed, the last week of flowering you use a lamp just for that week

The lamps aren't cheap, around £70 last time I looked, also although Ikon are the listed UK distributors they never have any

I have no idea what putting a low wattage UVB lamp will do, but there's one way to find out and it looks like one of you is set for it ..... good luck

Bush
    Ok I recon these are MH lights that are unsheilded for UV? Dont think it need to be so much as 600w UV, but they sureley put out other frequences of light also. To get pure UV supplemental ligts seems like a cheaper and easier way.. imho

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tetra For This Useful Post:

countryboy (20-03-14)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast