Thread: germination and propogation for first hydro grow

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,129 Times

Default germination and propogation for first hydro grow

i started this thread in the propogation area but it didnt get much of a response so im trying it here and hoping for some help...

i did a trial run last week with little success and im getting close to starting my next seeds for my first hydro grow so could really do with some help please guys

Im moving from seedlings in soil to seedlings in a 6 pot rdwc system and have some questions on the best way to get my seeds started.

This is how I usually do them. I know this is slightly long winded but ive had problems in the past with seeds not germing (from a particular seed shop I might add. All good from herbies) and this way has given me 100% success.

I soak them in a shot glass half filled with mineral water in my dark and heated propagator for 24 hours, then I put them in damp tissue into a sealed plastic tub to keep a high humidity level and back into my heated propagator and sprayed every now and then to keep damp but not soaked until the tap roots show which is usually within 24-48hrs max.
    I then put them into my seedling soil and hey presto ive got 100% take up.

I now have an aero pot propagator and some rock wool cubes and clay pebbles that I want to start them in but I could do with some advice/steps on how to hopefully keep my 100% success rate.

Im thinking maybe, soak the seeds for 24hrs as normal, then put them into the damp tissue/tub/heated propagator until the tap roots show and then instead of putting in soil put them into my rock wool cubes and back into my heated propagator until they have sprouted and once sprouted put them into my aero pot?

Does this sound like a long winded way of doing it?

Do I pre-soak the rock wool in ph’d water? 5.5ph?

Once in my aero pot and roots are sticking out of the rock wool can I then put them into my rdwc bubbler system and hand water until the roots are fully established before switching on the system or do I wait until the roots are say a few inches long before transplanting to the rdwc bubbler system?

Complete hydro nooby questions I know. Im hoping to get a mentor for my first hydro grow in a few weeks time but ive got some freeby seeds that id like to do a trial run with as I cant afford to lose any of my good seeds.

Ive attached some pics of my germination kit/setup.

Ive read various tutorials on this but you cant beat experienced/personal guidance.

I do have more nooby questions such as once in the aero pot do I set it up to switch on 24/7 or on for 15 mins and then off for 15 mins continually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01387.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	158484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01388.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	158485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01391.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	158486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01390.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	158487

i posted this in hempy buckets by mistake. ive now put it in the hydro section. mods please feel free to delete
    Last edited by green grass; 10-12-12 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Bloody hell where to start, lol.

I normally just put my seeds in between two sheets of kitchen paper that are moist, then cling film then place in a dark sock draw.

I would ph your rock wool.

If you put them in the aero thing and the roots grow around the net, will you keep them in it. Else transferring them from the net pot to another just seems along way around. Once your seeds have a tap root, and you have soaked your cubes in ph'd water a few times place them into that, then as long as they are warm and damp they will be fine, once you see a few normal leaves start lowing the humidity. Wash the balls a few times too and place the RW cube in them, once you can see roots coming from the RW. Also you will need to hand water until the roots get to the res.

I think aero pots need to be on all the time, stops the roots drying, and helps put o2 in the water.
    Been busy in life, sorry to have missed so much in the forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

green grass (11-12-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,129 Times

thanks jumpon.

can anybody else add anything regarding using the aero pot? should the mister be on 24/7 or on for say 15 mins then off for say 15 mins?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Green do a google search mate, sorry i thought they were on all the time but it seems people are also doing 15/15 etc. Hate giving the wrong info but back to correct myself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

green grass (11-12-12)