Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mysteri0n's PC Grow Guide.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,380 Times

Lightbulb Mysteri0n's PC Grow Guide.

First things first, if your new to growing, read this, READ IT! --->Security Issues for Novice Growers (Thanks to Icon).

If your looking to grow plants with yeilds of 2-3oz + this isnt for you. PC growing is more for the hobbyist or someone that really doesn't smoke that much. PC growing is a good "first grow" because its small enough to keep on top of, and if you burn it to the ground, its no real loss.

*This guide is how i do things. Been growing in cases for years and love it!*

If you have already built your box, skip to the end.

The PC Case.
    This is one of the areas you want to spend money, yes, you can use your grandad's old desktop but quite frankly id bet money its not big enough.
    If your google searching, search for midi PC cases or Gamer cases. You can pick them up cheaper online or at tech fairs or look on gumtree/craigslist.
    You want to aim for the biggest case you can find. A CFL light bulb takes up 10/15cm's of space in your case. but more on this later.
    Aim for these dimensions *atleast*
    45<cm high x 20<cm wide x 45<cm wide.

TIPS-
    • When lining your case with mylar or your choosen reflective material, first line your case with cardboard, but dont stick these pieces down, cut to shape and remove then stick your material to these, then stick them in place. you have insulated your box and helped stop light leak. also try lining your box with mylar, its a pain in the arse.
    • When removing all the ali boxing inside your case, use a drill to remove the rivets. Also, WATCH YOUR FINGERS AND KNUCKLES, its sharp everywhere!.
    • wire everything up first, then line your box.(Hides all the wires )

Ventilation and Odour control.
    PC fans are fine, 120mm one are the best but look at how much air they move. power them with either a phone charger or any 12v adaptor. Guide here --->PC fan to Charger Guide thanks to Up2.

As for odour control, you need to look for active carbon foam sheeting, you can buy this at any DIY retailer as cooker hood filter or at pet stores as filter foam for fish tanks.
    Stick this onto the inside of a fan so it pulls air through the foam instead of pushing it.

Lighting.
    I use a 125w dual spectrum CFl light but you can use HPS/MH lamps or L.E.D lights.
    Cfl's are easier, and cheaper to grow with and put out less heat than HPS/MH lamps. buy Online again cheaper.

TIP- Mounting your CFL bulb without a reflector. go out to a DIY store and buy...
    1) 1x 1 1/2" rubber lined ring
    2) 1x 15cm piece of m10 studded rod
    3) m10 backplate.

put all 3 together and install... should look like this------>Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light1.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	164347

Nutrients, Soil & Pot size.

This is easy, go for a john innes no 2 potting soil/compost. this will have usually about 4 weeks nutrients for your babies. I dont add pertile or anything like that, your plants are going to get root bound anyways due to small pots.

As for nutes there are many on the market, up to you what you buy but i buy "just" plagron bloom soil nutes. the soil will have enough nutes till flowering. only feed once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks. Again Dont over water!.

Pot size is easy, i go for square one's because they fit better in a case. try and get long, low and wide pots, or use ice cream tubs with drainage holes cut out.

So your case is built, now what?.

You will have to grow 12/12 from seed so you dont run out of room, Guide here --->Lil-rasta-s-12-12-growing-guide Thanks to Lil Rasta.
    You dont have to just grow auto flowering plants.

Some tips that will help you grow successfully in your PC case.(hopefully).
    • Start of in very small pots and keep potting up. This will slow growth.
    • Never overwater. Check the moistness of the soil. the first few weeks you should only need to water once or twice a week.
    • Low Stress Training - look it up on here, will help you fill the case out and increase yeild.
    • keep your plants as close to the light as possible, about 1" away stop them stretching when going into flower.

Well i hope this helps someone. As i said ive been growing in cases for years, ans hae only just bought myself a tent, because im smoking more and more.
    Click here for a link to -------------> My PC Grow Diary

Mysteri0n.
    Last edited by Goodbuddy; 10-01-13 at 12:03 AM. Reason: op req

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Mysteri0n For This Useful Post:

Cybes (10-01-13), Famlay (08-01-13), gxkon (19-03-13), herbal terrorist (12-01-13), hersh (14-01-13), kewlbeanz (12-01-13), leyus (09-11-13), Mr.UnclePen (09-01-13), myk_thc (19-03-13), NFA (17-03-13), psychocannanaut (08-01-13), Stealthgrower (10-01-13), up2nogood (10-01-13), Valentina (18-04-18)

Thanks

Wonderful job mysterion! This will help many people, i know itll help me atleast, i didnt realise those kitchen cooker hood filteration materials work well at filtering the smell!
    Thank u very much
    Found the way to keep your CFL In place extremely helpful and will do this soon as i hit the DIY store
    your a legend for this post! Nice one!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Famlay For This Useful Post:

Mysteri0n (09-01-13)

Thanks

Thanks bud, some good info here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigjw For This Useful Post:

Mysteri0n (09-01-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

Good guide MysteriOn.
    my light fittings have holes for screws so I just zip tied them directly to the case.
    I cant wait to see it up and running and nurturing your plants.
    Peace out.

Thanks

heres a question, do u keep trays to collect the runoff?
    or do u fabricate your own?

Thanks

make em, ice cream tub lids, any large lid.

reduce, re-use recycle.

:P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteri0n View Post
    reduce, re-use recycle.

:P
    i shall keep this in mind!

Thanks

I got three question mysterion. Hope you can answer them..
    1. How many times do I change the carbon filter?
    2. I've been hearing the L.E.D lights are the future of growing. They take less money to run and they don't get hot. What do you think?
    3. What's you average yield in growing in PC box?
    Last edited by mevs; 11-01-13 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks

Default Mysteri0n's PC Grow Guide.

Filter usually once a grow. Yes l.eds are good but expensive. And yield probs no more than 2oz

M

Sent from my Crappy iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

going to try and find myself a pc case to start building

any suggestions where to get a nice size one??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast