Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: How do you know if your depressed

Thanks

I feel chainsaw destroying my chest

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartholomhew Gleeson For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,385 Times

I'm gonna weigh in on this one.
    Take it from someone who's been battling it since age 15.

I've been on anti depressants most of my adult life. And while they can help they're not a quick fix, there's a lot you can try to do yourself before resorting to them.

Firstly, a major sign of depression is just not enjoying all the things you normally do, it's a feeling of numbness rather than sadness. Having little or no motivation to do anything so just muddling through on auto pilot. Is that how you feel?

If not then you're probably suffering from stress. DO NOT under estimate stress! It can fk you up physically as well as mentally. You'd be surprised at the symptoms it can cause.

There's lots of different methods to help both depression and stress. But I find that it's about finding a balance in your day to day life. Plan your time well leaving enough time for yourself to relax at the end of the day and find hobbies that are therapeutic and bring you pride in yourself.

Cut out negative people, places and habits. Write lists of the things you CAN change and the things you can't. Accept what you can't change and let them go.

Ask for help! Tell your boss if you feel able, maybe he/she/they can help lessen the stress. Explain that the last thing you want to do is end up on sick leave so that it benefits both them and you to maybe make some alterations to your work life if possible while you get through it?

Talk, talk and talk some more. There's no shame in it, it's no different to having a phsical illness.

The Jamaicans have a saying- "We don't have problems, we have situations, we deal with the situation so it don't turn into a problem, so no problem mon." In other words deal with all the situations one by one that are causing you to feel stressed because too much stress for too long causes mental illness. Try not to think of all your issues as one huge problem because then they'll overwhealm you. Do it in bite sized chunks. Best of luck with it. Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Those who mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind!

Current grow- https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...600w-Mars-Leds

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-09-18), Dr Green (18-10-18), G' (24-10-18), gardro (06-09-18), Gaz (06-09-18), GEORGE (16-09-18), Herbitual (18-09-18), insushin (10-11-18), M_C (06-09-18), sourshoes (06-09-18), UpT0wn (06-09-18), Valentina (21-09-18), WhIpLaSh (07-09-18), _teapot_ (06-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by UK-MRS View Post
    I'm gonna weigh in on this one.
    Take it from someone who's been battling it since age 15.

I've been on anti depressants most of my adult life. And while they can help they're not a quick fix, there's a lot you can try to do yourself before resorting to them.

Firstly, a major sign of depression is just not enjoying all the things you normally do, it's a feeling of numbness rather than sadness. Having little or no motivation to do anything so just muddling through on auto pilot. Is that how you feel?

If not then you're probably suffering from stress. DO NOT under estimate stress! It can fk you up physically as well as mentally. You'd be surprised at the symptoms it can cause.

There's lots of different methods to help both depression and stress. But I find that it's about finding a balance in your day to day life. Plan your time well leaving enough time for yourself to relax at the end of the day and find hobbies that are therapeutic and bring you pride in yourself.

Cut out negative people, places and habits. Write lists of the things you CAN change and the things you can't. Accept what you can't change and let them go.

Ask for help! Tell your boss if you feel able, maybe he/she/they can help lessen the stress. Explain that the last thing you want to do is end up on sick leave so that it benefits both them and you to maybe make some alterations to your work life if possible while you get through it?

Talk, talk and talk some more. There's no shame in it, it's no different to having a phsical illness.

The Jamaicans have a saying- "We don't have problems, we have situations, we deal with the situation so it don't turn into a problem, so no problem mon." In other words deal with all the situations one by one that are causing you to feel stressed because too much stress for too long causes mental illness. Try not to think of all your issues as one huge problem because then they'll overwhealm you. Do it in bite sized chunks. Best of luck with it. Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Fucking spot on Mrs ! Every word!!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

G' (24-10-18), gardro (07-09-18), GEORGE (16-09-18), Missy (07-09-18), Valentina (21-09-18)

Thanks

Depression is horrible.

Everyone is different, but personally for me... it can be really hard but the first step to beating 'that demon' on my shoulder is to just get up out of bed and do something.

I've learned that I'm more prone to depression when I have nothing to do , or when I'm awake and alone at night. My thoughts can not be trusted on their own lol as I tend towards negative thoughts.

Another theory I have, is that your brain likes doing something you're good at (whether it is good for you or not) Just like how people who are good at gaming love that, and football might be another example. As such, the more negative you are, the easier you will find it to be negative and the more you will be depressed.

Being positive is really difficult at first because you're training your brain to do something brand new and alien to it

Try making a list of everything you're grateful for and things that you like about your self and read them out a loud to your self in the morning.

I know some of those solutions probably sound really cheesy but your brain is just an 'organ' - it can be hacked towards happiness - i honestly believe that.

hope there is something in the above that helps

depression is a real bitch, those who say 'pull your socks up' do not understand it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samgee For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (18-10-18), G' (24-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Samgee View Post
    Depression is horrible.

Everyone is different, but personally for me... it can be really hard but the first step to beating 'that demon' on my shoulder is to just get up out of bed and do something.

I've learned that I'm more prone to depression when I have nothing to do , or when I'm awake and alone at night. My thoughts can not be trusted on their own lol as I tend towards negative thoughts.

Another theory I have, is that your brain likes doing something you're good at (whether it is good for you or not) Just like how people who are good at gaming love that, and football might be another example. As such, the more negative you are, the easier you will find it to be negative and the more you will be depressed.

Being positive is really difficult at first because you're training your brain to do something brand new and alien to it

Try making a list of everything you're grateful for and things that you like about your self and read them out a loud to your self in the morning.

I know some of those solutions probably sound really cheesy but your brain is just an 'organ' - it can be hacked towards happiness - i honestly believe that.

hope there is something in the above that helps

depression is a real bitch, those who say 'pull your socks up' do not understand it.
    I’m lucky enough to never have suffered with depression. Even through dark times I keep a good perspective. And all I can put it down to is luck, brain chemistry.

I have a very active mind, that’s always thinking and always wanting to be fed with knowledge, I stay busy, I have many hobbies and always striving to learn new ones. As long as I keep feeding the brain good shit, I seem to stay happy.

But it differs for everyone, the most complex thing in the universe is the human brain. We are made up of cells, trillions of them, and some where in that mix of cells is our consciousness. We can’t understand how it all works together, but it never stops amazing me.

One day we will figure out the cure to depression, and get the correct balance of the right chemicals to everyone’s brain, but I think it’ll be more like diet, and differ from person to person. Giving people a standard anti depressant won’t work as we all differ in brain chemistry too much. Might work for some, not for others. You gotta strive to find your own way to keep the mind active, and busy, and healthy. It’s like the brain is the forgotten organ sometimes lol.

Anyway I’m high and babbling I think. Keep your chin up people. Keep fighting that black dog

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (24-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Samgee (18-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Nice words Macky brother your one lucky fella not having suffered from depression or maybe it is good management on your your behalf, the hardest thing regarding depression is finding the key or the trigger that starts it and this can be very hard to do and some people never actually do find it, hobbies are good for stress and depression i took up painting and whilst it is a bit of a release your state of mind often comes through in your paintings which turned out to be favor some for me because a lot of people wanted to buy my paintings but at the end of the day even hobbies you really enjoy don't take away the pain you feel inside, you can't do hobbies 24/7 and you find the alone times the worst and that's when your mind can become your worst enemy and for anyone suffering from depression or anxiety or any type of mental illness the most important thing is to talk and seek advice it can be hard accepting you have a problem but when you admit to yourself you have that is the first step and biggest step you'll face, seek advice and talk to someone your not alone, all the best G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-10-18), WhIpLaSh (24-10-18)

Macky Guest

I am very lucky mate I know. Maybe being stoned everyday for the last 20 years has helped lol. Talking about your problems with some one always helps, a problem shared is a problem halved and all that. We are a social species. We just have to keep talking

Keep smiling talkers

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (24-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), UpT0wn (30-10-18)

Thanks

Insomnia and anxiety. That's my two main indicators.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Diddli For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-11-18)

Thanks

Depression is definitely a nasty parasite, I've battled it the last few years and more recently really had a bad time with it bleeding into everyday life where you have no control because I've constantly tried to ignore it and bury it below the surface. Suffice to say it takes me to a darkdarkdark place but I think I'm on the upswing, you can't face it alone that's for sure, you need a community or even a single friend or shoulder to lean on because by yourself the demons always win. I find despite having good health and loving family you'll feel alone and unfulfilled regardless of the good you have in your life, depression is unreasonable apathetic and a diabolical affliction.
    If you suffer from it in any form I wish you the greatest recovery, I'm even here to talk if you want to PM me, life is hard enough and every little bit helps.
    "Love the Life you Live, Live the Life you Love" - Bob Marley

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insushin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-18), WhIpLaSh (10-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diddli View Post
    Insomnia and anxiety. That's my two main indicators.
    Anxiety, in particular, is what sets me off as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Samgee For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-18)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast