Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Coco for noobs

Thanks
    Thanked 17,928 Times in 7,808 Posts

Really good explanatory coco thread Face

Only one thing to add, and that's a big sticky at the top of the coco growing section

Even got me really considering switching from muck n shit

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

CocoMonkey (15-08-13), FACE (15-08-13), green assassin (27-10-13), Valentina (27-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 32,627 Times in 11,809 Posts

Cheers buddy I hope it helps all the new guys out its got everything they need to no in it

sig by ganjaholic

current grow a multi strain bonanza perp run
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=129609

[cheisel the one kilo plant
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ad.php?t=99634complete
    kali snapple mother treehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-mother-treecomplete
    forum rules please read
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ules-And-Facts
    Completeagent orange kali snapple critical kush sweettooth https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-critical-kush
    completehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lowering-diary

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FACE For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (15-08-13)

MrG Guest

Big ups for the stickie face mate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

FACE (15-08-13)

Thanks

Some awesome info here guys thanks. Its made me even more convinced coco is the way to go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Percy Grower For This Useful Post:

FACE (15-08-13)

Thanks

switching from dirt to coco, this thread has helped clear a few things up nicely, well worth the sticky, bigups to face

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Royston Cropper For This Useful Post:

FACE (02-09-13)

crazycatz2012 Guest

can you use Coco with Soil Mix??

jimmi420 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazycatz2012 View Post
    can you use Coco with Soil Mix??
    Cant see the point if in soil just use pearlite which id think would aireate the soil better than coco would a 60 soil/ 40 pearlite or 70/30.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmi420 For This Useful Post:

greenthumb123 (31-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,087 Times in 1,845 Posts

good thread

seriously considering coco for my next grow but never been too sure about it, was doing DWC before but can't afford to replace all the gear, for coco i basically need pots/coco&pearlite/nutes right? (got a good EC/PH tester)

in terms of DWC what would my main differences be and pitfalls to watch out for? im guessing id be using stronger nutes as it would be run to waste?

how the hell do you germinate seeds for coco anyways? do you get wee coco cubes the same as you get rockwool and rootriot? (come to think of it would rootriot be ok? pretty much inert and v porous for oxygen)

also what sort of difference in yield would be expected, I know it's better than soil but if im getting 10-15oz a plant in DWC, is the same realisitcally possible in coco with decent pot size and veg time?
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

FACE (27-10-13), greenthumb123 (31-10-13), pablo69 (20-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    good thread

seriously considering coco for my next grow but never been too sure about it, was doing DWC before but can't afford to replace all the gear, for coco i basically need pots/coco&pearlite/nutes right? (got a good EC/PH tester)

in terms of DWC what would my main differences be and pitfalls to watch out for? im guessing id be using stronger nutes as it would be run to waste?

how the hell do you germinate seeds for coco anyways? do you get wee coco cubes the same as you get rockwool and rootriot? (come to think of it would rootriot be ok? pretty much inert and v porous for oxygen)

also what sort of difference in yield would be expected, I know it's better than soil but if im getting 10-15oz a plant in DWC, is the same realisitcally possible in coco with decent pot size and veg time?
    Strider a will try answer your points strider
    Like u a grew nft and dwc fir years checking ec water temps ph setting all the time
    In coco mate make up your feed set ph and ec and just water it once a day

On the nutes I use a low ec no more than 1 in veg and in flower no higher than 1.7:8 so u dont use as much as u think especially if u use one plant or two

U start of seeds and cuts the same way for hydro the rockwool or root riot cubes are perfect

There ain't really any downfalls that I gave found yet so far so no complaints yet

Yeild is up to your veg time I have gad 16 oz in a 20 litre pot on one plant but also 27.5 in a 20 litre on another with put the hassle of checking res ec. And ph levels constant like dwc or nft
    Coco dies grow at a god rate
    Hope this answers your points mate
    Check out murdochs first coco grow in mentor thread and see for your self
    Cheers face
    Last edited by FACE; 27-10-13 at 10:05 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FACE For This Useful Post:

greenthumb123 (31-10-13), Strider (27-10-13), Type M (05-01-15)

Thanks

Cheers for that, clears up a few things, i'll give the diary a look as well

couple more specific Q's seeing as i'm here :P

are root temps affected? it's obv a huge deal in dwc due to higher risk of rot/things like rot, my worry is that (im assuming) coco is a lot less dense than soil, which i'd presume is what gives it it's oxygen boost, does the increased oxy also lead to a decrease in root temps as a result? taking into account we're coming into winter?

on topic of oxygen, does coc basically have all the access to oxy it needs? or is this possible/common to add airstones or similar the same as DWC? or failing that an airstone in your res before you water?

and finally (i'm lying) what pot sizes would be considered 'standard'? like in soil i'd generally use 6L's or 12L's, but when i hear about coc i see 12-15-20 bandied about a lot more? if my grow area was say, 1.5m square, and i was planning 5 plants what pot size would you go for?

oh yeah, fungus gnats, i've came across stuff like whitefly and thrips in soil, but I see Gnats mentioned a LOT with coco, is this a problem i MIGHT run into, or one that i WILL run into, and should plan preventative measures accordingly?

I told you i lied.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

FACE (27-10-13)

Thanks

Cheers for that, clears up a few things, i'll give the diary a look as well

couple more specific Q's seeing as i'm here :P

are root temps affected? it's obv a huge deal in dwc due to higher risk of rot/things like rot, my worry is that (im assuming) coco is a lot less dense than soil, which i'd presume is what gives it it's oxygen boost, does the increased oxy also lead to a decrease in root temps as a result? taking into account we're coming into winter?

on topic of oxygen, does coc basically have all the access to oxy it needs? or is this possible/common to add airstones or similar the same as DWC? or failing that an airstone in your res before you water?

and finally (i'm lying) what pot sizes would be considered 'standard'? like in soil i'd generally use 6L's or 12L's, but when i hear about coc i see 12-15-20 bandied about a lot more? if my grow area was say, 1.5m square, and i was planning 5 plants what pot size would you go for?

oh yeah, fungus gnats, i've came across stuff like whitefly and thrips in soil, but I see Gnats mentioned a LOT with coco, is this a problem i MIGHT run into, or one that i WILL run into, and should plan preventative measures accordingly?

I told you i lied.
    Hey man
    Hole u in mentor thread check out smokeys to what a job he done to first time in coco

Tbh I ave not had an issue with root temps just dont let coco dry out and its good summer a d winter u cant over water coco as it just runs through and takes what it needs

The roots grow through the coco faster as it not as compact as soil that's why the bigger pots are better cause small ones will root out faster

In your space 5 plants in 10 litre pots would go as u would not need them big to fill that space at all 4 would be better and lst them wide n bushy it will fill in no time at all

Fungus gnats u will get with dwc as well its no just specific to coco some sticky strips is all u need nothing fancy
    U out them around the stems and some hanging u dont miss any this way

Hope this helps
    Mon the coco

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FACE For This Useful Post:

greenthumb123 (31-10-13), pablo69 (20-03-18), She's-a-Lady (10-12-14), Strider (27-10-13)

Thanks

I return, with more questions :P

planning to order my stuff today, basically is there much difference between different brands of coco? and should i def get a decent bit of pearlite to mix into it?

i'm working on the assumption the canna range of stuff is a sound bet, both for the coco and their A&B nutes plus the various rhizo/zym/pk additions?

in saying that im tempted to go for Ionic's coco series, just cause that's what i used for DWC and the bottles are familiar :P (I suspect a good bit cheaper too)

Thanks
    Thanked 40,352 Times in 13,811 Posts

I return, with more questions :P

planning to order my stuff today, basically is there much difference between different brands of coco? and should i def get a decent bit of pearlite to mix into it?

i'm working on the assumption the canna range of stuff is a sound bet, both for the coco and their A&B nutes plus the various rhizo/zym/pk additions?

in saying that im tempted to go for Ionic's coco series, just cause that's what i used for DWC and the bottles are familiar :P (I suspect a good bit cheaper too)

Morning Strider..

As a pretty experienced coco grower I'd point you in the direction of the full canna range. . Coco pro, rhizotonic, coco nutes, pk 13/14 & cannazyme, this should ensure you good results. .

No need for perlite as coco is a exellent all round medium for drainage & also its near impossible to over water.. Feed every other day in Veg & once in flower feeding everyday is required for better results, even 2 or 3 feeds a day is good.. Feed until a minimum of 20% run off is achieved. I like to feed to a run off of 40/50% these days. Just this morning I fed all 7 of my specimens a feed of 1.2 ec & ph of 5.8, run off stats were 1.0ec and 5.8, perfect stats imo..

Hope that helps and makes sense )

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

greenthumb123 (31-10-13), maenam (27-12-16), She's-a-Lady (10-12-14), Strider (31-10-13), Subterranean Man (18-07-18)

Thanks

cheers for that, will get started ordering the canna stuffs and actually choosing my bloody strain ( I haven't planned this grow well)

so no pearlite then, bastard...i guess that means a second sack of coco then, acht well, am i better starting them in something smaller, say a 6l pot then potting up with coco? or straight into the biggest pot from the word go?

also am i right i'm thinking when i get the coco i need to immerse it in ph'd water initially to buffer it? or does it already come buffered to that?

what with all this talk of runoff im guessing ill be needing some garden trays or such as well, i'm used to letting my soil plants just wet themselves on the floor of the tent :P

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (31-10-13), She's-a-Lady (10-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,811 Posts

Hello Face, great thread mate, lots of info for the growers taking the coco plunge! It was Murdock's grow and res temp issues that convinced me, one or two things I am not to sure about though so I may come looking for you when I start my first coco grow if you dont mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,570 Times in 2,158 Posts

Perlite isn't necessary really.

I've used loads of coco brands, in my experience they all work fine (even the poundshop stuff).

Some of the cheaper (usually compressed) stuff is often pretty salty though and will require a good soak / wash through.

Most nutes are decent, Canna are a good brand for your first grow since they are so ubiquitous. Personally I prefer Hesi. I really don't recommend Ionic these days - I used there stuff recently and found it pretty salty and pH unstable. Wasn't particularly blown away by the results either. I'm using Plant Magic this grow, and have been impressed so far.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

Strider (31-10-13)

Notorious WD Guest

cheers for that, will get started ordering the canna stuffs and actually choosing my bloody strain ( I haven't planned this grow well)

so no pearlite then, bastard...i guess that means a second sack of coco then, acht well, am i better starting them in something smaller, say a 6l pot then potting up with coco? or straight into the biggest pot from the word go?

also am i right i'm thinking when i get the coco i need to immerse it in ph'd water initially to buffer it? or does it already come buffered to that?

what with all this talk of runoff im guessing ill be needing some garden trays or such as well, i'm used to letting my soil plants just wet themselves on the floor of the tent :P

Some coco needs a pre feed of water that's got a bit of feed in and ph'd. But if you buy canna coco pro it's already sorted. I suggest you buy that to save the hassle.

You can start in smaller and then repot but I use Wilmas and they are sound just growing from seed or cut in a big part from the off.

To start a seed I suggest you get a seed and start them in coco coir pellets. Don't use compost ones you see at B&Q because when I've done that before I've seen fungas gnat larvae

One thing I wholeheartedly recommend is getting a Wilma. Maybe this crop but certainly next. You can pick up a big4 Wilma for a 1.2m tent and you will do well to crop less than 20oz (6veg-10flower).

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notorious WD For This Useful Post:

Strider (31-10-13), The Rambler (07-11-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,570 Times in 2,158 Posts

As for runoff if you are going to hand water or run a dripper or something run-to-waste then it is good practice to flush through the medium, so yes you will need drip trays of some sort (I use poundshop kitty litter trays).

Some people flush every feed, personally I just hand feed to minimal runoff and let them lap up the excess and only flush through once a week or so (same feed strength, just let a decent amount of excess go through the coco and discard it). Or use blumats and again, flush once a week with a hand feed.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

Strider (31-10-13)

Thanks

hmm, does it do any HARM to add pearlite? I ask as im planning 5 x 12/15l pots, so i'd either need two heavy sacks of coco at 30 quid odd, or 1 sack of coco and 30l of pearlite for 20 :/

Thanks
    Thanked 40,352 Times in 13,811 Posts

Won't harm anything at all Strider.. If that's your situation then that's that.. it's just a case of not needing to add perlite for any essential reason.. but no it won't do any harm..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

36. The Following User Says Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

Strider (02-11-13)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast