Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 22 year old cacti in a shit state. Advice welcome!

Thanks

Default 22 year old cacti in a shit state. Advice welcome!

I left a cacti in the greenhouse over winter and it appears to be in a shit state. I have purchased some cacti soil and a large new pot. However, it has gone rotten near the top and folded over at that point on the stem. The bottom also has gone a brownish color but it has been that shade for some time. Just wondering if its possible to lop the head off it and repot it or what my options are..Be a shame to not even try to save the thing seeing as ive had it so many years. If anyone can help i would be very greatful

Thanks in advance :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AQ4r-PyGStchUgDZD16lJubtz3Wwm79XQxXzAQ_Gya8.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	187096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iLhfwQvvrqnUb400znOpUL1e2VhAsQtZrlXpR4PrX0Y.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	187097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NKsLpBVs-6cGeXeTgQ2x5woDohewKNicgj6Z499NF70.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	187098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QbC9jqO-tr8_I7z5dhIG4D8RsS4DFe6vs3BU17yqJxk.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	187099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u9ZzONgV1X9QEl_ebl2CDrXTaL8h54Y0reH6jYEv7z4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	187100

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slingblade2000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,322 Times

blimey that is a shame, looking at the other plants in your pics i hope you take care of your MJ plants better! lol

i'd repot, stake it and cut out any mould as it will only spread
    though im not an expert on growing cacti,but ive eaten a few in my time lol

id be surprised if there wasn't a cacti growing forum online though, will get some pro advice there
    “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” Noam Chomsky

Stay Close to the soil, its good for the soul.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to psychocannanaut For This Useful Post:

slingblade2000 (10-04-13)

WanderinBloke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psychocannanaut View Post
    blimey that is a shame, looking at the other plants in your pics i hope you take care of your MJ plants better! lol

i'd repot, stake it and cut out any mould as it will only spread
    though im not an expert on growing cacti,but ive eaten a few in my time lol

id be surprised if there wasn't a cacti growing forum online though, will get some pro advice there
    Hijack: you any good at identifying those type of cactus? A pal died a few years ago and when clearing out his place I found a small cactus that I vaguely remember him saying was vnice Would love to know what it is. It's healthy, if a little bent

/hijack

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderinBloke For This Useful Post:

FoxyLady (10-04-13), psychocannanaut (10-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WanderinBloke View Post
    Hijack: you any good at identifying those type of cactus? A pal died a few years ago and when clearing out his place I found a small cactus that I vaguely remember him saying was vnice Would love to know what it is. It's healthy, if a little bent

/hijack
    i would guess by appearance its a san pedro
    but i couldn't say for sure, even if it was infront of me i couldn't be 100%
    i know what to look out for 6 ribs, cluster spines (4/6) start beige and fade to a white colour

if its a san pedro it does contain mescaline but there are so many cacti it could be that i cant say for sure man and couldn't recommend eating it haha
    if i were a betting man i would say san pedro though and if it belonged to me i would have a nibble

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychocannanaut For This Useful Post:

FoxyLady (10-04-13)

WanderinBloke Guest

i know what to look out for 6 ribs, cluster spines (4/6) start beige and fade to a white colour

if its a san pedro it does contain mescaline but there are so many cacti it could be that i cant say for sure man and couldn't recommend eating it haha
    if i were a betting man i would say san pedro though and if it belonged to me i would have a nibble
    That might ring a bell lol - i'll check with another pal who also got one of these same time as me, hopefully itll ring a bell with him too. cheers bud

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WanderinBloke For This Useful Post:

psychocannanaut (10-04-13)

WanderinBloke Guest

Ive just checked out the prep for a san pedro and that is exactly the one my dead pal showed me many moons ago. san pedro it is!

thanks man, happy happy joy joy 8-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WanderinBloke For This Useful Post:

FoxyLady (10-04-13)

Thanks

Ive just checked out the prep for a san pedro and that is exactly the one my dead pal showed me many moons ago. san pedro it is!

thanks man, happy happy joy joy 8-)
    i bet you are, thats great man. especially as a lost friend put his energy into bringing her up
    very nice man i hope you take care of her and enjoy responsibly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to psychocannanaut For This Useful Post:

nuube Guest

Looks like a San Pedro to me, I have a couple of these little babies going at the moment. Get her in your groom. The HPS is doing wonders for mine. There was a thread about putting cacti in your groom so I put one SP in for a couple of months under MH 22/2 and one in 12/12 with HPS and one control in the window. The one in with my flowering plants if growing at an amazing rate. I have a couple of Peyote doing the same - roll on 20 years

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nuube For This Useful Post:

FoxyLady (10-04-13), psychocannanaut (11-04-13)

WanderinBloke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nuube View Post
    Looks like a San Pedro to me, I have a couple of these little babies going at the moment. Get her in your groom. The HPS is doing wonders for mine. There was a thread about putting cacti in your groom so I put one SP in for a couple of months under MH 22/2 and one in 12/12 with HPS and one control in the window. The one in with my flowering plants if growing at an amazing rate. I have a couple of Peyote doing the same - roll on 20 years
    The groom sounds good, it hadnt even occurred to me to put her in there Mind, I need some plate mail gloves to handle the bastard!

nuube Guest

The groom sounds good, it hadnt even occurred to me to put her in there Mind, I need some plate mail gloves to handle the bastard!
    Ah don't talk. As much as I love cacti they are horribly sore little cutns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast