Thread: How to wire multiple lights in parallel

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,403 Times

Lightbulb How to wire multiple lights in parallel

Ok so I thought id take pics as I was doing this to show everyone else how its done, this is a simple way to connect multiple cfls or leds in parallel using only one plug, I only recommend going as high as 150 or 200 watts as any higher and you might as well use hps.

ok step one:

get all your tools and equipment to hand, you will need pliers, flathead screwdriver and a crosshead screwdriver

Light fittings, these are e27 ceramic fittings prewired with heat resistant cable (5 for 6quid off ebay Bargain!)
    2 core flex, I bought 5meters from wilko for 2 quid
    plug 5amp from wilko for a quid
    terminal block, this Is 12 sections rated at 5amp for a quid from wilko

total cost about a tenner

close up of terminal block

step two:

wire the light fittings to one side of the terminal block, live-neutral-live-neutral as shown

step three:

cut off about 50cms of your cable and remove the outer coating thus separating the two wires

step four:

cut each wire into four lengths and remove the outer coating exposing the wire as shown

step five

take a brown wire and connect to the opposite live terminals, thus looping the two, make sure its live to live else it wont work

step six

repeat the process till all the live wires are connected to each other like so:

step severn

do the same again with the blue wires connecting each one to the opposing neutral making a nice pretty pattern:

step eight

ok the final thing we need to do is connect the plug to the terminal block using the rest of the two core flex, it doesn't matter which end you connect the plug, I connected it on the right

note that I got two terminals spare as I only used 10 for 5 lights but you could use as many as you like as long as you don't exceed the rating of the circuit, mine was rated at 5 amps which is fine for 5 30watt cfls or slightly more but like I say if your using anymore you might as well use hps. Also no need to earth the circuit as the fuse will protect from surges.

Now to test the circuit:

as you can see you don't have to use all the lights all the time

I hope this little guide helps anyone and if you have any questions or if ive missed anything just ask

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CocoMonkey For This Useful Post:

FD3S (24-04-13), jericho (25-04-13), Juice (11-05-13), Mr Pothead (23-04-13), PlantMatter (24-04-13)

Thanks

I'm sure this will be a good guide to non competent electricaly minded people.

As an electrician I would change the strip of connector blocks for a 20 amp junction box. I know this will loose the links what you have put in. But from a safety point of view you have exposed terminals and bare copper in a humid environment. For example, if you put your palm on the strip of connectors with weight added you could get a belt, with wet hands even more dangerous. Thats why cars have bumper, pencils have rubbers... because people make mistakes. The junction box doesnt have exposed parts once the lid is on unlike a strip of connectors. I would always ensure an earth from your plug to the connector strip or Junction box even if its the only earth cable in the connector. Its protection.

I'm not saying you have done it wrong but for a safer enviornment that is what I would do.

Skunk lung if you can add 1.5 mm2 size to the flex you listed

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FD3S For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (10-05-13), Spartacus Smokes (10-04-16), Toke monkey (31-03-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,403 Times

So my led lights finally arrived and wasted no time setting them up

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,996 Times

Hi Skunklung I have to say as another electrician I fully a agree with the advice of FD3S. You have made a good job of what you have done, but its not safe like this. The Led's look cool though.

Could you not enclose the connector box in some kind of plastic box. Would that make it safe?

Thanks

Still prefer MH and hps
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks

Default unsure of lighting procedure

would this process be the same if I wanted to wire 10 light fittings together. if so what sort of wire would I need or fuse ampage. sorry if I seem dumb as I have wired a couple like this before but was unsure if wiring 10 would be the same process. thankyou

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    Could you not enclose the connector box in some kind of plastic box. Would that make it safe?
    Yes mate. Go to an electrical wholesalers and ask for an adaptable box (size of your choice) and some stuffing glands