Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SHEEPBOY'S Guide to making EarWax

Thanks

Default SHEEPBOY'S Guide to making EarWax

Hey there, I've decided to make an easy guide to making some nice earwax from your harvest waste / trim, or if you feel a bit extravagant some bud!

What is Earwax?

The process that makes ear wax hash pretty much removes all plant parts from your cannabis matter and makes your concentrate a near pure concoction of cannabinoid chemicals derived straight from your favorite strain.

We pass butane gas through dried plant matter packed into a cylinder, which strips the matter of all oils and goodness, then is filtered through a coffee filter on the end, into a Pyrex dish, then the gas evaporates off leaving us with a residue, which we treat in a certain way to make earwax.

What you need:

Extraction cylinder: - these can be bought online, but its better and easier to make your own. I made mine from some 2 inch plastic tubing, cut to a length of 30 cm approximately, with a wine making cork in 1 end and I fitted a
    fitting from the butane bottle cap to it using a biro. Other side I made a line of blu-tak / putty around the bottom rim of the tubing then tightly wrapped a coffee filter to cover the end, then secured with some duct tape + jubilee clip (like a gasket) (See Picture)

Dried Trim / bud :- I always use high quality trim (trim from the buds and the straggly buds from bottom of plants), but you can use bud too, better the material used the better quality end product. Best results from dried material.

Butane :- lighter refill gas from your local store, or camping gas if you can find the right attachment.

Mixing instrument :- I use a Thick E guitar string, or/and a small mini screwdriver you use to open screws on glasses

Latex gloves (optional) : - I use these to gather and press the wax into a ball in the end, saves getting it on your fingers

Heat Source :- cooker hob, portable stove etc, I use my halogen cooker hob.

Clean new blades :- Stanley / razorblades will do

Large Pyrex dish : - make sure its nice n clean.

Instructions

First things first, prep everything you need and get everything set out ready, and ready to go, so you don't scramble for it during the process, its time sensitive.

VENTILATE THE AREA WELL SO BUTANE CAN ESCAPE

1. Pack your tube with dried plant matter not too packed but not too loose, and use a poker to make sure you have no air pockets in there.

2. Seal the end with the cork or cap whichever you use

3. Run hot water into your kitchen sink so its a few inches deep, and carefully place your pyrex dish to float in it without getting inside the Pyrex wet. If this isn't possible for you, you can fill a bigger container with hot water to accommodate your Pyrex.

4. After a minute or so when the Pyrex dish has warmed up, shake a bottle of butane and pop the lid, and place the nozzle into your cap fitting and hold the device over the Pyrex dish, and then force the bottle down to push the
    butane through the tube

5. Keep the gas passing through the material until the gas bottle has finished or until its clear. It should be a golden yellow / green as it first comes out.

6. IMPORTANT: DO NOT REMOVE THE PYREX FROM THE WARM WATER YET

Let the butane evaporate out of the mixture, it will leave a sticky residue like treacle when its done, with slow bubbles.

7. Still with the Pyrex in the warm water, use the Guitar string / Whipping device to agitate the residue, scratch the surface and scrape through all the bubbles, bursting as much bubbles as you can, you'll notice it going a bit milky and honeycomby, this is good. Do this for about a minute.

Warm up your hob to a low to medium level so it's ready

8. Once you've agitated as much bubbles as possible and the oil is milky frothy golden color, carefully remove the Pyrex from the water. DO NOT GET WATER ON THE OIL.

9. Gather the oil up quickly into 1 pile in the middle of the Pyrex. Using 2 blades to work together makes things easier.

10. Place the pyrex dish over the heat source where the pile of oil is.

11. Heat the oil very gently, pulling off and on the Pyrex dish a bit at a time if needed to control the heat, you just need to tickle it. When it becomes softer and runnier, remove it from the heat and whip it like an egg with the guitar string whipping air into the oil. Really get in there and whisk it good.

Heat the oil till it slightly bubbles like a pancake like this:

then remove from heat and whip till it thickens again.

12. When the oil begins to cool down again and go thicker, repeat step 11. Remember to never let it cool down too much, and DO NOT OVERHEAT it else you will ruin it and wont get wax.

13. After repeating step 11 a few times, the oil will change consistency, it will crystallize and go milky like a paste almost, when this happens, the wax is ready to collect. (see pictures)

note: after heating it and whipping it, let it cool down before reheating, see if it turns into a paste.

Note: Sometimes it takes a few Step 11's of heating and whipping and cooling, so don't give up, sometimes it does it in 3 heating's for me, or sometimes 6, but it will eventually get to the state you want. If the substance is milky in color then you're OK, if it goes clear then you have overheated it, and you may as well leave it set to some shatter.

14. Using the blades, gather the wax into 1 pile in the middle.

15. Put on the latex gloves and pres the mound into a little pyramid type shape on the pyrex like so:

16. Get under the mound of goodness with the blade, and then mold it into a ball in your fingers using the latex gloves.

ENJOY YOUR SMOKE!

2. The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to SheepBoy For This Useful Post:

-Smokey- (09-12-14), Adambomb (05-10-13), Alterego420 (30-04-13), azza (15-11-13), B.R.E.W. (24-01-20), babybud3232 (07-03-14), BIGCH33S3 (18-06-13), Bob2142 (16-02-14), Bubble_me_timbers (23-10-14), BurninBrewer (15-12-13), bushgrower (28-03-14), ChuChu (30-04-13), CocoMonkey (11-10-13), countryboy (01-04-14), Cybes (23-05-13), dalry_lama (01-05-13), DaveyJones (01-05-13), GEORGE (21-06-19), Goodbuddy (01-05-13), G_UNIT (01-05-13), Hattori (03-05-13), JB (14-04-17), jericho (24-02-16), johndoh (05-02-20), Juice (01-05-13), Lil Sindigo (12-12-13), lipnobody (02-11-17), Lord SummerIsle (14-10-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), madextrax (21-05-20), mandarina (05-10-14), mjay (06-11-14), Mr. Don Keidik (29-05-13), Mysteri0n (30-04-13), NitroBurns (24-02-14), psychocannanaut (01-05-13), r33ee (08-07-22), Ragman (09-05-13), RastaMouse22 (30-04-13), red eye knight (18-07-13), SCHIZOPHRENIC (12-12-13), Shaun (07-09-21), She's-a-Lady (29-03-15), Smokeface (31-01-15), smoke_dog (02-01-14), stretch12345 (30-03-14), tjf8070 (30-04-13), TokinItUp (10-02-16), Tommy stoner (07-11-21), wal (26-06-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,380 Times

cracking guide....

bookmarked!

M

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mysteri0n For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-06-19), r33ee (08-07-22), SheepBoy (30-04-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,872 Times

awesome guide there pal.. think i may try this come harvest thanks for shareing
    peace
    Last edited by RastaMouse22; 30-04-13 at 11:18 PM.
    The widows water web--- finished
    Widow,BSD and unknown breeding group ORGANIC ---FINISHED
    RM's 1st creation.. BIG SILVER DIESEL F1 --- FINISHED
    BSD F2 GROWOUT - -finished
    150w selecta box - - finished

Dinafem Auto cheese DWC mentored by Ironjustice
    6 strain coco bash mentored by ij
    Rasta:I need to know if we've got the money in the bank for the dogs food.. If not th...
    Mrsmouse: we eat the dog?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse22 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-06-19), r33ee (08-07-22), SheepBoy (30-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RastaMouse22 View Post
    awesome guide there pal.. think i may try this come harvest thanks for shareing
    what butane brand did u go for mate?
    peace
    Hey, I used clipper stuff, not sure if its the purest, but it was cheap on ebay

I think theres purer stuff out there if you really want to search for it, but ive used all kinds and not had any problem peace

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheepBoy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-06-19), r33ee (08-07-22), RastaMouse22 (30-04-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,872 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SheepBoy View Post
    Hey, I used clipper stuff, not sure if its the purest, but it was cheap on ebay

I think theres purer stuff out there if you really want to search for it, but ive used all kinds and not had any problem peace
    just noticed it when i went back up lol cheers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse22 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-06-19), r33ee (08-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

That's exactly, step for step how I make mine. Nice work.

Everyone used to use Vector here in the States but recently it seems everyone has made a switch to Newport. My last two batches were with Newport and I do think it's cleaner.

Edit: I have to ask, it doesn't seen you have the proper, if any ventilation inside? Please don't tell me you are doing the extraction inside, and not in a lab, let alone with the proper ventilation? I know it's unlikely it could go bad, but it has happened. It's much safer to do it outside, assuming you take the same precautions.
    Last edited by Mr.UnclePen; 01-05-13 at 03:10 AM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

addcancercat (17-12-13), GEORGE (21-06-19), r33ee (08-07-22), SheepBoy (01-05-13)

Thanks

nah i live life on the edge and do it in the kitchen theres a window open right next to where I do it though

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepBoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

awesome work matey , can't wait to have a rattle at it with my trim and popcorn in a couple of months . G

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Master Poet Guest

A couple of things to point out here. You cannot use just any type of plastic tubing for this, as with most plastics the butane will draw some crap out of the plastic and into your wax, second DONT use ronson butane its not pure, use something like NEWPORT which is refined/filtered and is practically pure, again its gets impurities into your wax/concentrate.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

alexsm (12-08-13), NitroBurns (24-02-14), RastaMouse22 (06-05-13), SheepBoy (01-05-13)

Upton Guest

Fantastic guide SheepBoy and cheers for additional tips Poet. This is something I will be trying in the future as I've only tried it once in the last 30 odd years of being a toker.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Upton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast