Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: supercropping vs. STRANGLING

Thanks

Default supercropping vs. STRANGLING

I noticed during my last grow in the late veg stage, that I had forgotten to remove one of those hard plastic ties (used for hand-cuffs in the military), which I had used earlier in the grow to tie and train branches to a bent metal hanger. What happened though, is that two large, fat knuckles formed on each side of the tie that the branch had grown into and around, instead of one knuckle like from crushing a branch in traditional supercropping. Just after I flipped the lights though, I had to take a trip to the hospital for pneaumonia and ended up cancelling the grow. So now I am back into another grow and I am wrapping the ties deliberately around branches about one inch from their internodes. I am hoping it will 1) slowly crush the branch in order to create a fat nute/water super-highway, or at least 2) stress the plant at a very moderate rate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00200.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	195872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00201.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	195873  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtmozFearGREEN For This Useful Post:

dream69 (05-11-14), Shabba (10-02-23)

PG Guest

Hi, I think instead of creating a "fat nute/water super-highway" you are doing the opposite, as the branch thickens the plastic tie becomes tighter and the flow is restricted. Supercropping allows the plant to repair itself, where as using plastic ties doesn't, once they become tight, you won't be able to remove them without damaging the plant.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PG For This Useful Post:

AtmozFearGREEN (17-05-13), kewlbeanz (17-05-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,403 Times

like tying a noose round your neck, your gonna try harder to breathe but its no use lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CocoMonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Grower View Post
    Hi, I think instead of creating a "fat nute/water super-highway" you are doing the opposite, as the branch thickens the plastic tie becomes tighter and the flow is restricted. Supercropping allows the plant to repair itself, where as using plastic ties doesn't, once they become tight, you won't be able to remove them without damaging the plant.
    Thanks, that is a valid argument... whether it does more harm than good by choking the branch without allowing the opportunity to repair itself. Or, whether it is cutting off the vascular tissue on the outside without even damaging the solid center anyway. But what about the two large "knuckles?" Do you think the bottle-necking left behind by the tie is so restrictive on the flow of nutes/water, that the two knuckles make no difference by opening it back up?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,053 Times

Sounds like an experiment in the making. Give it a try on a couple of branches and see what happens, you never know,

Funny enough I just posted this clippit in another post, its from one of my diaries

When in early flower I nearly ripped a couple of branches off at the join accidentally
    Attachment 164401

I just let it grow and those couple of branches produced some of the biggest buds there.
    I thought they would have died but it seemed to give them a boost lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vador For This Useful Post:

AtmozFearGREEN (17-05-13)

Thanks

lol... you know, you can also have that same effect by leaning the plant (not quite LST because there is no bending involved) in the opposite direction of the branch you want to fatten up. It will fatten up especially around the internode like in your pic.
    Last edited by AtmozFearGREEN; 17-05-13 at 05:25 PM.

jimmi420 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AtmozFearGREEN View Post
    Thanks, that is a valid argument... whether it does more harm than good by choking the branch without allowing the opportunity to repair itself. Or, whether it is cutting off the vascular tissue on the outside without even damaging the solid center anyway. But what about the two large "knuckles?" Do you think the bottle-necking left behind by the tie is so restrictive on the flow of nutes/water, that the two knuckles make no difference by opening it back up?
    Id reckon so myself yes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmi420 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tricone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tricone View Post
    Thanks! Read the whole convo. I left my ties on for about five days (look at my pics) and took them off yesterday... will let you know what happens to the "prints" they left behind. I didn't want to take the chance leaving them on longer; this particular plant is important to me because I'm gonna use it as a mother. It is a good, strong plant with good genes.

PG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AtmozFearGREEN View Post
    Yes I do think if you leave the ties on they'll restrict the flow as the branch thickens, I also think they'll create a week spot in the branch, a heavy bud will put that thinner part of the branch under a lot of strain.

But judging by your last post, you cut the ties off the day before you started this thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast