Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insulation question

Thanks

Default Insulation question

Hi guys not sure if i am posting this in the right forum as i am a newbie here but what the hell if i am in the wrong place i am sure one of you nice chaps will point me in the right direction.Anyway i am about to start my first grow soon in my loft and would be grateful for any advice regarding insulation.I have recently had my roof relaid with new tiles and membrane so i know i have no holes in my roof but what i want to know is how well insulated i need to make the roof.I was planning on using the glass mineral wool stuff that comes in the big rolls between the rafters in the roof and then was planning on putting a layer of airtec insulation over the top of that, stapled to the rafters.any tips guys on wether or not this would be sufficient insulation to keep me concealed from any unwanted attention from police choppers.?Any help or advice would me much appreciated.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

King span or cellotex has a higher insulation factor than mineral wool and is easier to fit between the rafters.

I've got 45mm in my shed that works ok for my grow (but I'm only running 250w)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Bimble For This Useful Post:

d-green (28-05-13)

Thanks

+1

I increased the depth of my rafters to 100mm, fitted 50mm Celotex between the rafters to take it flush and then another 50mm over the top. You can seal the gaps with aluminium tape. On top of that I fitted 12mm ply and then mylar over that.

Then all you need to do is make sure you have good ventilation. If there is no heat build up then there will be nothing to see.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to d-green For This Useful Post:

Axx (07-06-13)

Thanks

ok thanks for the replies guys,after reading through a few more threads on here I have revised my plans and am now going to use 50mm celotex fitted in between the rafters with the the airtec foil insulation over the top of that stapled to the rafters,will be a bit dearer but hopefully will be better than using mineral wool.My next question though is once I have insulated the loft space is it really neccecsary to use a tent or build a room in the loft?is it safe enough to just grow the plants in the loft space itself with the lights and carbon filter and fans set up in there and the hot air being extracted through the chimney breast.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As I said in my original post, I did a second layer of 50mm celotex. That way there is no hot air making contact with any uninsulated part of the roof. It was expensive though.

The reason I put ply over the top was partly because if I am raided, I don't want them viewing the foil backed insulation as part of my grow equipment and ripping out 3 grands worth of work.

With this set up I don't think I need a tent. Put the money you would have spent on a tent towards doing it properly.

If possible, get the chimney sweapt. When I fired up my fans it pulled in a whole ton of soot.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

I use a tent as well - as I'm crap at DIY and my thinking was it would be easier to create negative pressure to keep the smell from leaking out if the plants were inside a tent.

Thanks

Airtec Double Insulation with a air gap then more Airtec Double Insulation. Works a treat.

Kingspan stops working after a while

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coalmonkey View Post
    Kingspan stops working after a while
    That's a point of debate. I understand that there was some research that suggested that the U value fell over time but the manufacturers claim to have addressed the problem.

All I know for sure is that it is an industry standard product and that even if the U value does fall over time, it will only fall to approximately the same value as rockwool over a period of many years.

Thanks

thanks for the replies guys,have nearly finished the grow room now,went for the 50mm celotex fitted in between the rafters then covered the whole lot with the airtec foil insulation on the roll,going to section off a bit of the loft space with black and white.Will be using carbon filter and also going to stick some ona blocks or gel in the loft space as well as having it dotted around the house in various places.Would love to hear some opinions from the more experienced growers,does this sound like a safe set up,this is gonna be my first grow after years of trying to twist the mrs arm and let me grow and she is paranoid as fuck about getting raided by the old bill.

Thanks

I look at it like this if you wish to loft grow you have to insulate or it will stand out like a beacon in the night! However you will struggle to remove the heat signature entirely at east not with spending tens of thousands on it!
    You just need to try your best to reduce it to a level it won't appear blatantly abnormal from the air. It will show up if your growing in the loft you have to accept that and work at if

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast