Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 121 to 136 of 136

Thread: Worm farms

  1. #121
    Macky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    I have a one layer wormery which is really good. 30mm thick polystyrene box. it does the job brilliantly. I can even have it in the sun without warming it up inside so that it hurts the worms.
    I want some pet worms mate what do I need? Can you advise me on how to get started? I’m gonna go full organic soon. Getting a list of what I need and a worm farm is one of them


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  3. #122
    The Aspie Toker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I want some pet worms mate what do I need? Can you advise me on how to get started? I’m gonna go full organic soon. Getting a list of what I need and a worm farm is one of them
    You're going to need some worms. (No shit, Sherlock) You can buy them, but if you've access to some horse manure, then you can get them for free. I've been getting shit-loads of compost worms from horse manure. They're not cheap to buy. Tiger worms are about £17-£20 for 500g.

    Coir and shredded newspaper for bedding, some soil or compost to start off the microbe activity.

    A container or two for the worms. I started off with a two tier one, but now have single tier bins.

    If there is a fish market near you, then you could ask if they want their fish containers. Many throw them away. The ones I have were purchased from a manufacturer. They're cheap but the postage wasn't. Well worth it though.

    I hope that helps.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  5. #123
    Macky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    You're going to need some worms. (No shit, Sherlock) You can buy them, but if you've access to some horse manure, then you can get them for free. I've been getting shit-loads of compost worms from horse manure. They're not cheap to buy. Tiger worms are about £17-£20 for 500g.

    Coir and shredded newspaper for bedding, some soil or compost to start off the microbe activity.

    A container or two for the worms. I started off with a two tier one, but now have single tier bins.

    If there is a fish market near you, then you could ask if they want their fish containers. Many throw them away. The ones I have were purchased from a manufacturer. They're cheap but the postage wasn't. Well worth it though.

    I hope that helps.
    Sweet. We have someone who owns horses in the family, scoop scoop! Cheers aspie. When you say choir and news paper for bedding, what do you mean? Shred it all up like a hamster bed and put it in there mixed with some compost?


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  7. #124
    The Aspie Toker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Sweet. We have someone who owns horses in the family, scoop scoop! Cheers aspie. When you say choir and news paper for bedding, what do you mean? Shred it all up like a hamster bed and put it in there mixed with some compost?


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you
    No problem. If you know the owner of the horse manure, find out when they were last wormed. I have a huge source of it. It's at least 20 foot long, over 5.5 feet high and at least 10 feet wide. If the manure has worms in it, that's a good sign. One, the manure is cool enough not to harm the worms, and clean enough of any worming that may have gone on.

    I line the bottom of the bin with about 3/4" of coir. I lay the shredded newspaper (mixed with the starter - soil, manure etc.)

    You want width more than depth with the bins. I'll PM you the link where I got mine. I don't have holes in mine as I am at home 99.9% of the time. I place the lid on them at night to stop them escaping and open it in the morning.

    Don't do what I did. I added wet newspaper (cut up with scissors as I don't have a shredder) and used a strong solution of molasses and mixed it in. Nothing wrong with that per se, but when I went to take the lid off the next morning, there were hundreds all up the walls. When I put my hand into the wormery you could feel the heat. Basically, the microbes went wild and multiplied so much that it made it unbearable for the worms. Maybe not so heavy on the molasses next time.

    If you're getting them from the manure, give some of the manure to eat. They were at home in there, so they are used to eating it more than other foods, but will eat other things once they've settled in.

    Egg shells are another thing you'll need. I powder mine up and give it to them. They need it for their gizzards.

    Don't overfeed them. That's a big no-no. Food can go off and become mouldy as well as smelly.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  9. #125
    Macky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    No problem. If you know the owner of the horse manure, find out when they were last wormed. I have a huge source of it. It's at least 20 foot long, over 5.5 feet high and at least 10 feet wide. If the manure has worms in it, that's a good sign. One, the manure is cool enough not to harm the worms, and clean enough of any worming that may have gone on.

    I line the bottom of the bin with about 3/4" of coir. I lay the shredded newspaper (mixed with the starter - soil, manure etc.)

    You want width more than depth with the bins. I'll PM you the link where I got mine. I don't have holes in mine as I am at home 99.9% of the time. I place the lid on them at night to stop them escaping and open it in the morning.

    Don't do what I did. I added wet newspaper (cut up with scissors as I don't have a shredder) and used a strong solution of molasses and mixed it in. Nothing wrong with that per se, but when I went to take the lid off the next morning, there were hundreds all up the walls. When I put my hand into the wormery you could feel the heat. Basically, the microbes went wild and multiplied so much that it made it unbearable for the worms. Maybe not so heavy on the molasses next time.

    If you're getting them from the manure, give some of the manure to eat. They were at home in there, so they are used to eating it more than other foods, but will eat other things once they've settled in.

    Egg shells are another thing you'll need. I powder mine up and give it to them. They need it for their gizzards.

    Don't overfeed them. That's a big no-no. Food can go off and become mouldy as well as smelly.
    Fucking beautiful info mate!! Really appreciate it man, I’ll get on it today and see what the score is with the horse and the last time they were wormed. Sweeeeeet, free worm shit forever


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  11. #126
    GMOGreen Guest

    Default

    Off to the fish mongers after work 😎

    Sent from the shadows like a ninja

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (11-07-18)

  13. #127
    The Aspie Toker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Fucking beautiful info mate!! Really appreciate it man, I’ll get on it today and see what the score is with the horse and the last time they were wormed. Sweeeeeet, free worm shit forever


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you
    Best to get everything else before the worms. I moistened the coir first, laid that down, then the wet (not dripping) on top mixed with some compost I had. This gives the microbes to start working.

    Went off an picked up 6 x 40+ litre buckets of manure and picked through it. You'll also find worm eggs in there. I picked them out too and put them into the bin.

    From time to time I'll put my hand in and give it all a stir. This helps aerating the lower levels as well as bringing the more moist soil to the top.

    Don't feed them things like garlic, onions, citrus fruits. If you get pot worms in there (small white worms) then your compost is becoming to acidic. You shouldn't get any pot worms in the horse manure. I did find two toads in mine and released them.

    I don't know what you're going to use to get your manure, but you'll find that if you leave it for a day or so, the worms move to the bottom of the container, and you'll find shit-loads there. I sometimes put the bottom lot into the wormery as it's too much work to pick them all out, and they are happy in it, so why not? It'll be eaten by them anyway.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (13-07-18)

  15. #128
    Macky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    Best to get everything else before the worms. I moistened the coir first, laid that down, then the wet (not dripping) on top mixed with some compost I had. This gives the microbes to start working.

    Went off an picked up 6 x 40+ litre buckets of manure and picked through it. You'll also find worm eggs in there. I picked them out too and put them into the bin.

    From time to time I'll put my hand in and give it all a stir. This helps aerating the lower levels as well as bringing the more moist soil to the top.

    Don't feed them things like garlic, onions, citrus fruits. If you get pot worms in there (small white worms) then your compost is becoming to acidic. You shouldn't get any pot worms in the horse manure. I did find two toads in mine and released them.

    I don't know what you're going to use to get your manure, but you'll find that if you leave it for a day or so, the worms move to the bottom of the container, and you'll find shit-loads there. I sometimes put the bottom lot into the wormery as it's too much work to pick them all out, and they are happy in it, so why not? It'll be eaten by them anyway.
    A fucking toad? You mean nematode right? cheers man, I’ll get this ball rolling


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (13-07-18)

  17. #129
    The Aspie Toker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    A fucking toad? You mean nematode right? cheers man, I’ll get this ball rolling


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you
    No, real toads, as in bufo bufo.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (13-07-18)

  19. #130
    Macky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    No, real toads, as in bufo bufo.
    Wow! All sorts of shit living in there!


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (13-07-18)

  21. #131
    The Aspie Toker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Wow! All sorts of shit living in there!


    Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you
    It's a huge pile, mate. You can see it on Google Earth.

    According to the owner, there's even slow worms there, but I've not seen any yet.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (13-07-18)

  23. #132

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sunny South
    Posts
    2,231
    Thanks
    22,883
    Thanked 9,133 Times in 1,920 Posts

    Default

    I use a bathtub with a drainage layer made from some hollow bricks and then geotextile siliconed to the bathtub to prevent the worms from escaping. The wormfarm mostly gets used to draw a tea from it by just pouring extra water in it and catching the runoff.
    Once a year or so I harvest the castings because I don't feed the worms all that often and their main food is well composted horse manure that they get after that yearly cleanout. Besides that they get coffee grounds and guinea pig poop as well.

    Food scraps go to the guinea pigs. Not dumping those in the worm farm keeps the flies out.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (09-04-19)

  25. #133

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Had hours of fun building one today cant beat a bit if shit

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to alfredo839 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (09-04-19)

  27. #134

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    1,243
    Thanked 5,283 Times in 1,228 Posts

    Default

    Anyone growing should consider one. I have a little bin and once it gets going it's amazing how fast they reproduce. As long as you don't completely ignore it for a long period of time they'll be fine. Every so often I dump some organic material in mine (cannabis leaves, kelp, grains, and sometimes food scraps.. but not often) come back a couple weeks later and its gone. The multi level bins are pretty cool but I have one in a single container which rests inside another (completely useless as there is never any liquid in the bottom container so it was a waste in my opinion. Just put the lid on that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. They have never attempted an escape. I think if it's really damp they will (which can happen with food scraps)

    Anyways if you're into the idea a bin that works around the clock and produces the finest garden input available, start one today. I started with minimal amount of worms and now my bin is full.

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (19-10-19), hotshot (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19), redisiel (16-10-19)

  29. #135

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    High as a kite
    Posts
    12,133
    Thanks
    45,770
    Thanked 27,029 Times in 8,065 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    Anyone growing should consider one. I have a little bin and once it gets going it's amazing how fast they reproduce. As long as you don't completely ignore it for a long period of time they'll be fine. Every so often I dump some organic material in mine (cannabis leaves, kelp, grains, and sometimes food scraps.. but not often) come back a couple weeks later and its gone. The multi level bins are pretty cool but I have one in a single container which rests inside another (completely useless as there is never any liquid in the bottom container so it was a waste in my opinion. Just put the lid on that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. They have never attempted an escape. I think if it's really damp they will (which can happen with food scraps)

    Anyways if you're into the idea a bin that works around the clock and produces the finest garden input available, start one today. I started with minimal amount of worms and now my bin is full.
    Agreed!!!
    I harvest regular ewc and it’s minimal effort now, my bim’s nearly 5 years old now. I would simply avoid food scraps it’s basically water, get some quality compost,it’s a fact malted barley speeds up reproduction rates and of course get your neem in there which helps with bugs and they love bokashi too.
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ


    REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!


    Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (19-10-19), hotshot (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19)

  31. #136

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    1,243
    Thanked 5,283 Times in 1,228 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Agreed!!!
    I harvest regular ewc and it’s minimal effort now, my bim’s nearly 5 years old now. I would simply avoid food scraps it’s basically water, get some quality compost,it’s a fact malted barley speeds up reproduction rates and of course get your neem in there which helps with bugs and they love bokashi too.
    Redz
    I normally do avoid food scraps but sometimes I'll toss in some cantaloupe or watermelom rind to show the kids a mass of worms! They get a kick out of it.

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (19-10-19), hotshot (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19), UpT0wn (16-10-19)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Similar Threads

  1. Worm Farming
    By lkdj2003 in forum Organic Growing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 15-05-14, 05:28 AM
  2. Liquid Worm Fertilizer?
    By Novablaze in forum Indoor Cannabis Growing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-10-10, 08:05 PM
  3. tiny little worm things help!
    By ChasLFC in forum Indoor Cannabis Growing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-07-10, 06:50 AM
  4. Worm castings?
    By sniggleflaff in forum Organic Growing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-10, 02:40 PM
  5. collecting worm poo
    By bushdriver in forum Organic Growing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-01-10, 09:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quebec Cannabis Seeds

Bonza Seeds - Over 2000 Strains!     |     25% off Cannabis Seeds at Dr Chronic     |     GYO Seedbank     |     www.alibongocannabisseeds.co.uk

THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK