Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Worm farms

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Wow! All sorts of shit living in there!

Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you
    It's a huge pile, mate. You can see it on Google Earth.

According to the owner, there's even slow worms there, but I've not seen any yet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

I use a bathtub with a drainage layer made from some hollow bricks and then geotextile siliconed to the bathtub to prevent the worms from escaping. The wormfarm mostly gets used to draw a tea from it by just pouring extra water in it and catching the runoff.
    Once a year or so I harvest the castings because I don't feed the worms all that often and their main food is well composted horse manure that they get after that yearly cleanout. Besides that they get coffee grounds and guinea pig poop as well.

Food scraps go to the guinea pigs. Not dumping those in the worm farm keeps the flies out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (09-04-19)

Thanks

Had hours of fun building one today cant beat a bit if shit

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alfredo839 For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (09-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

Anyone growing should consider one. I have a little bin and once it gets going it's amazing how fast they reproduce. As long as you don't completely ignore it for a long period of time they'll be fine. Every so often I dump some organic material in mine (cannabis leaves, kelp, grains, and sometimes food scraps.. but not often) come back a couple weeks later and its gone. The multi level bins are pretty cool but I have one in a single container which rests inside another (completely useless as there is never any liquid in the bottom container so it was a waste in my opinion. Just put the lid on that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. They have never attempted an escape. I think if it's really damp they will (which can happen with food scraps)

Anyways if you're into the idea a bin that works around the clock and produces the finest garden input available, start one today. I started with minimal amount of worms and now my bin is full.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (19-10-19), Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19), redisiel (16-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    Anyone growing should consider one. I have a little bin and once it gets going it's amazing how fast they reproduce. As long as you don't completely ignore it for a long period of time they'll be fine. Every so often I dump some organic material in mine (cannabis leaves, kelp, grains, and sometimes food scraps.. but not often) come back a couple weeks later and its gone. The multi level bins are pretty cool but I have one in a single container which rests inside another (completely useless as there is never any liquid in the bottom container so it was a waste in my opinion. Just put the lid on that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. They have never attempted an escape. I think if it's really damp they will (which can happen with food scraps)

Anyways if you're into the idea a bin that works around the clock and produces the finest garden input available, start one today. I started with minimal amount of worms and now my bin is full.
    Agreed!!!
    I harvest regular ewc and it’s minimal effort now, my bim’s nearly 5 years old now. I would simply avoid food scraps it’s basically water, get some quality compost,it’s a fact malted barley speeds up reproduction rates and of course get your neem in there which helps with bugs and they love bokashi too.
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), Cleargreen (19-10-19), Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Agreed!!!
    I harvest regular ewc and it’s minimal effort now, my bim’s nearly 5 years old now. I would simply avoid food scraps it’s basically water, get some quality compost,it’s a fact malted barley speeds up reproduction rates and of course get your neem in there which helps with bugs and they love bokashi too.
    Redz
    I normally do avoid food scraps but sometimes I'll toss in some cantaloupe or watermelom rind to show the kids a mass of worms! They get a kick out of it.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), Cleargreen (19-10-19), Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (16-10-19), IceCalibur (16-10-19), UpT0wn (16-10-19)

Thanks

I am not currently using any worms. I did for three consecutive grows use red wrigglers right in my 100gallon substrate with my plants. Starting off each grow I used a clover cover crop. As soon as the ladies began getting smothered id chop down quite a bit of the surrounding clover for the worms to feed on. As I harvested each grow i would simply chop and drop once again for the worms. as you can imagine this builds up a thick layer of leaves very quickly but the worms seemed to love hanging out just under the leaves munching away. I do have a worm bin going at the moment but it is just outdoors for me to be able to compost over the winter.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dionysos For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), GEORGE (16-10-20)

Thanks

worms are really easy to feed and their waste product is probably the best for your plants. It's good to see folks getting into more of this organic stuff.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PinkZeppelin420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), Dionysos (02-11-20), GEORGE (02-11-20)

Thanks

This is a worm bin I use to run. I would harvest vermicompost about every 4 months. I had fresh worm castings to make soils all the time once the bin was full of worms. Also, note that the drain hole in the bin produced this really dark leachate that I used to make tea brews. The leachate poured out at a pretty steady drip. Good stuff.

We have a local soil yard that makes leaf mold compost with horse poo. Worms love horse poo. I filled the bin with this leaf mold compost and inserted the worms. I also had rabbits and fed the worms rabbit poo pellets. Worms favorite poo is Wabbit. I would feed the bin rock minerals also. Mostly rock phosphate and greensand. Slow release micronutrients. I would add some scraps of vegetables occasionally. What I fed them the most was pineapple. Worms love pineapple. Two pineapples cut in half would feed the whole bin. I could lift the pineapple and there would be hundreds of worms hanging from the pineapple.

Couple of pics of the bin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worm Bin 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	405846

Name:	Worm Bin 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	405847

Name:	Worm Bin 3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	405848

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skinny Leaf For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), GEORGE (23-08-21)

Thanks

The bin when harvested would fill this tub up completely with vermicompost. I used the orange bucket with screen to separate the castings from the bin. A lot of work shaking that bucket. But, well worth the results.

Name:	Castings 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	405849

Name:	Castings 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	405850

Name:	Casting Separator 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	405851

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skinny Leaf For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (28-04-22), GEORGE (23-08-21)

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast