Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Worm farms

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    I have a one layer wormery which is really good. 30mm thick polystyrene box. it does the job brilliantly. I can even have it in the sun without warming it up inside so that it hurts the worms.
    I want some pet worms mate what do I need? Can you advise me on how to get started? I’m gonna go full organic soon. Getting a list of what I need and a worm farm is one of them

Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I want some pet worms mate what do I need? Can you advise me on how to get started? I’m gonna go full organic soon. Getting a list of what I need and a worm farm is one of them
    You're going to need some worms. (No shit, Sherlock) You can buy them, but if you've access to some horse manure, then you can get them for free. I've been getting shit-loads of compost worms from horse manure. They're not cheap to buy. Tiger worms are about £17-£20 for 500g.

Coir and shredded newspaper for bedding, some soil or compost to start off the microbe activity.

A container or two for the worms. I started off with a two tier one, but now have single tier bins.

If there is a fish market near you, then you could ask if they want their fish containers. Many throw them away. The ones I have were purchased from a manufacturer. They're cheap but the postage wasn't. Well worth it though.

I hope that helps.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

Macky Guest

You're going to need some worms. (No shit, Sherlock) You can buy them, but if you've access to some horse manure, then you can get them for free. I've been getting shit-loads of compost worms from horse manure. They're not cheap to buy. Tiger worms are about £17-£20 for 500g.

Coir and shredded newspaper for bedding, some soil or compost to start off the microbe activity.

A container or two for the worms. I started off with a two tier one, but now have single tier bins.

If there is a fish market near you, then you could ask if they want their fish containers. Many throw them away. The ones I have were purchased from a manufacturer. They're cheap but the postage wasn't. Well worth it though.

I hope that helps.
    Sweet. We have someone who owns horses in the family, scoop scoop! Cheers aspie. When you say choir and news paper for bedding, what do you mean? Shred it all up like a hamster bed and put it in there mixed with some compost?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Sweet. We have someone who owns horses in the family, scoop scoop! Cheers aspie. When you say choir and news paper for bedding, what do you mean? Shred it all up like a hamster bed and put it in there mixed with some compost?

No problem. If you know the owner of the horse manure, find out when they were last wormed. I have a huge source of it. It's at least 20 foot long, over 5.5 feet high and at least 10 feet wide. If the manure has worms in it, that's a good sign. One, the manure is cool enough not to harm the worms, and clean enough of any worming that may have gone on.

I line the bottom of the bin with about 3/4" of coir. I lay the shredded newspaper (mixed with the starter - soil, manure etc.)

You want width more than depth with the bins. I'll PM you the link where I got mine. I don't have holes in mine as I am at home 99.9% of the time. I place the lid on them at night to stop them escaping and open it in the morning.

Don't do what I did. I added wet newspaper (cut up with scissors as I don't have a shredder) and used a strong solution of molasses and mixed it in. Nothing wrong with that per se, but when I went to take the lid off the next morning, there were hundreds all up the walls. When I put my hand into the wormery you could feel the heat. Basically, the microbes went wild and multiplied so much that it made it unbearable for the worms. Maybe not so heavy on the molasses next time.

If you're getting them from the manure, give some of the manure to eat. They were at home in there, so they are used to eating it more than other foods, but will eat other things once they've settled in.

Egg shells are another thing you'll need. I powder mine up and give it to them. They need it for their gizzards.

Don't overfeed them. That's a big no-no. Food can go off and become mouldy as well as smelly.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

Macky Guest

No problem. If you know the owner of the horse manure, find out when they were last wormed. I have a huge source of it. It's at least 20 foot long, over 5.5 feet high and at least 10 feet wide. If the manure has worms in it, that's a good sign. One, the manure is cool enough not to harm the worms, and clean enough of any worming that may have gone on.

I line the bottom of the bin with about 3/4" of coir. I lay the shredded newspaper (mixed with the starter - soil, manure etc.)

You want width more than depth with the bins. I'll PM you the link where I got mine. I don't have holes in mine as I am at home 99.9% of the time. I place the lid on them at night to stop them escaping and open it in the morning.

Don't do what I did. I added wet newspaper (cut up with scissors as I don't have a shredder) and used a strong solution of molasses and mixed it in. Nothing wrong with that per se, but when I went to take the lid off the next morning, there were hundreds all up the walls. When I put my hand into the wormery you could feel the heat. Basically, the microbes went wild and multiplied so much that it made it unbearable for the worms. Maybe not so heavy on the molasses next time.

If you're getting them from the manure, give some of the manure to eat. They were at home in there, so they are used to eating it more than other foods, but will eat other things once they've settled in.

Egg shells are another thing you'll need. I powder mine up and give it to them. They need it for their gizzards.

Don't overfeed them. That's a big no-no. Food can go off and become mouldy as well as smelly.
    Fucking beautiful info mate!! Really appreciate it man, I’ll get on it today and see what the score is with the horse and the last time they were wormed. Sweeeeeet, free worm shit forever

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

GMOGreen Guest

Off to the fish mongers after work 😎

Sent from the shadows like a ninja

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Fucking beautiful info mate!! Really appreciate it man, I’ll get on it today and see what the score is with the horse and the last time they were wormed. Sweeeeeet, free worm shit forever

Best to get everything else before the worms. I moistened the coir first, laid that down, then the wet (not dripping) on top mixed with some compost I had. This gives the microbes to start working.

Went off an picked up 6 x 40+ litre buckets of manure and picked through it. You'll also find worm eggs in there. I picked them out too and put them into the bin.

From time to time I'll put my hand in and give it all a stir. This helps aerating the lower levels as well as bringing the more moist soil to the top.

Don't feed them things like garlic, onions, citrus fruits. If you get pot worms in there (small white worms) then your compost is becoming to acidic. You shouldn't get any pot worms in the horse manure. I did find two toads in mine and released them.

I don't know what you're going to use to get your manure, but you'll find that if you leave it for a day or so, the worms move to the bottom of the container, and you'll find shit-loads there. I sometimes put the bottom lot into the wormery as it's too much work to pick them all out, and they are happy in it, so why not? It'll be eaten by them anyway.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-18)

Macky Guest

Best to get everything else before the worms. I moistened the coir first, laid that down, then the wet (not dripping) on top mixed with some compost I had. This gives the microbes to start working.

Went off an picked up 6 x 40+ litre buckets of manure and picked through it. You'll also find worm eggs in there. I picked them out too and put them into the bin.

From time to time I'll put my hand in and give it all a stir. This helps aerating the lower levels as well as bringing the more moist soil to the top.

Don't feed them things like garlic, onions, citrus fruits. If you get pot worms in there (small white worms) then your compost is becoming to acidic. You shouldn't get any pot worms in the horse manure. I did find two toads in mine and released them.

I don't know what you're going to use to get your manure, but you'll find that if you leave it for a day or so, the worms move to the bottom of the container, and you'll find shit-loads there. I sometimes put the bottom lot into the wormery as it's too much work to pick them all out, and they are happy in it, so why not? It'll be eaten by them anyway.
    A fucking toad? You mean nematode right? cheers man, I’ll get this ball rolling

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

A fucking toad? You mean nematode right? cheers man, I’ll get this ball rolling

No, real toads, as in bufo bufo.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-18)

Macky Guest

No, real toads, as in bufo bufo.
    Wow! All sorts of shit living in there!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-18)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast