Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Worm farms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hunter View Post
    im making one of these they look really good!

It works pretty good too, free worm casts, free teas....Its all free baby, freeeeeeeeee.......

Be prepared to NOT tell anyone, I am still the laughing stock of my family and friends with my 'pet worms' the Mrs says I feed them better than her lol.

However they will be laughing on the other side of their faces as they go and buy 3 grms of shitty brick weed, while I smoke my 'worm enhanced' organic, tasty, fresh, pungent, dank nuggs....mmmmm who smiling now biatches? lol.

Let's hear it for the worms!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

Because_i_got_high (10-02-12), growmyown (17-05-18), newbfarmer1985 (31-01-18), OGPermaBaked420 (06-02-17), PhilZenMaster (28-11-11), r33ee (07-07-22), silver_haze (20-12-11)

troot Guest

Used to have one when I done a lot of fishing mate. May have to start another one to give ma babies a brew lol.
    Mines was outside and kept blueheads in it - no not Rangers fans but a type of worm . Never thought of it for gardening purposes then, just a way to have worms available all year for my fishin

Troot

Thanks

Thats why I love organic growing, not just the fact the plants are grown as nature intended...ish, but the very fact that you can have so much personal influence with the plants.

Horses for courses as they say, hydro is a little bit 'automated' for me, all that artificial ph up and down, RO water, ph this and that. Great if you have the time and inclination, and a white lab coat (just playing hydro peeps ). And the results speak for themselves, however its just not...well natural i guess. I prefer to spend my time getting my hands dirty, and playing with nature

Worms rock, and their poo rocks too, if given the choice between worm poo, and the pleasure of feeding them, and the bigger pleasure of harvesting their produce, and then using it - compared with a few drops of a premixed high nitrogen feed, straight out of Dr Frankensteins lab , the choice is simple, for me anyway.

I am like a worm in casts when it comes to preping my feeds , its never the same twice, its more forgiving, and very rewarding, besides the average worm cycle taks 3 months, almost identical to the length of time my plants take to grow, so the next lot is ready for my next grow. Its a perpetual cycle.

Get worming man, its a bit of a laugh when you have to chase them all over the shed cause you have added something they don't like, they make a run for it lol, they can move quicker than you may think, and they are quite difficult to pick up without crushing them....it should be a sport!

Next stop worm training! Sit, wait, eat...you know the form.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

PhilZenMaster (28-11-11), r33ee (07-07-22), tucson rick (07-02-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,275 Times

Great thread, and simple instructions!

My mum used to have a worm farm for compost, tiger worms I think.... Never considered the nitrogen tea for my plants. As you said, who can complain when its's all free, free, free!

Thanks for that BuddyBoy, looks like my next project is all lined up now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to marmalade dreams For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,125 Times

hehe Monty will love you for that Marm , BB is overjoyed at the fact he is making a wormary

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbs For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Monty Bong Guest

lol I love getting me hands dirty bubbs

Buddyboy, thanks for this thread, can I use earthworms dug up from the garden?

I'm a tight bastad.

Thanks

we could swap worms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbs For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Bong View Post
    lol I love getting me hands dirty bubbs

Buddyboy, thanks for this thread, can I use earthworms dug up from the garden?

I'm a tight bastad.
    LOL, so am I! Unfortunately earthworms are not surface feeders, they are deep substrate feeders, liking decomposing wood etc. Not veggie peelings etc

You need red tiger worms for a farm like this one in the thread, however if you have a double chamber farm, like mine , you can go to a local wood/coppice and collect some decomposed wood and leaves, with that you can add earthworms. The wood really needs to be seriously decomposed, they, the earthworms, like leaf mould too, which you will find under the trees in your wood. Just leave the bottom chamber for 6/8 months, and hey presto!

Better to have all tigers though, and sifting worms from their habitat is time consuming, very time consuming, so migrating them to the bottom chamber when the top is full keeps the cycle perpetual.

The process of vermiculture is seriously slowed by this, but the compost is better. With wood and mould you are looking at 6/8 months for your product. Its not all that much better so for the extra 6 months, its not worth it in my opinion.

The red tigers are voracious, and eat loads so thats the better option....however, lol, i do a lot of howevering....

You can find redworms (tigers) in your garden. Lift patio slabs, and check around bushes just under the surface. However for the amount you will find, for the sake of a fiver from Fleabay, its quicker, and you can get it up and running straight away. Worms by post

Also red tigers produce 3 worm babies per cocoon. So potentially you can 'aquire' 250,000 worms per year from 500gms! But worms are smart, they will manage their own population to match their environment. Suffice to say that when I just emptied my 2 chamber farm, I got twice the amount of worms as I had, so my mum now has a single chamber farm. In 3 months she will also have a double chamber farm the same as mine....

Worm swapping lol, Bubbs. No awapping need lol, you can just give them to people when you harvest the casts.

Worm swapperies indeed, whatever next? Worm holidays....

Glad to be of help folks , theres loads more to share, if the thread perpetuates or becomes a sticky, Ill add some feeding regimes and preferred menu's also. Things that will maximise the wormery.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

growmyown (17-05-18), kimbo420 (26-10-10), r33ee (07-07-22), TheGrimSqueeker (03-02-20)

Thanks

There ya go i stickied it put up your feeding regime excellent post

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbs For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Monty Bong Guest

Wow, thanks for all the info bb. 2nd to growing and smoking I enjoy freshwater fishing so it looks like we will be entering the world of worm farming too, free bait and fertiliser.

I let you know how we get on.

MB

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast