Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Worm farms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubbs View Post
    There ya go i stickied it put up your feeding regime excellent post
    Great !, Hopefully worm farming will be a new trend, not to mention promote the organic side of growing.

I may start a club

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Bong View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the info bb. 2nd to growing and smoking I enjoy freshwater fishing so it looks like we will be entering the world of worm farming too, free bait and fertiliser.

I let you know how we get on.

MB
    Good stuff MontyB, i guess if you're a freshwater fisherman, does that make you a 'carpist'?.

Yeah please let me know how you get on, and if i can help further just post up, or pm or whatever, just make it known. ( I could be WORMMAN? )

Ill be posting a few additions regarding feeding and methods for more 'targetted' feeding regimes to help 'tune' the casts a bit....

More later...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Default Worms: Likes and dislikes...

This is some of the research I did when I was first setting up my worm farm, I cobbled together a list of worm favourite foods, some strange, and some americaniZed, cause there's no other way to call it what it is lol, I have added the english equivalent where possible:

Worms are not fussy eaters. This is a pretty good list of foods they will thrive on. Worms feed by sucking on moist and rotting waste, and swallowing fine grit to chew. Whole potatoes or carrots in the worm farm are a no no, if you do, expect it to sit there for a long time before it gets eaten. Peelings, and if you have cabbage stalf or the like, chop it up small.

Also freezing your worm food breaks down the natural fibres of the foodstuffs, and makes the worms digesting job all that much easier. After all have you ever wondered why frozen food always take quicker times to cook than fresh...See! Something new every day to learn

Worm eatables...Mmmmm yum yum

Apples Artichokes Bananas Beans Beets(turnip/swede)
    Biscuits Bran Bread Broccoli Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage Melon Cake Carrots Celery
    Cereal Coffee Grounds Coffee Filters Comfrey
    Corn Meal Cucumber Aubergine Eggshells(ground to a powder)
    Grapes Herbal Tea leaves & bags Kiwi Fruit Kohl Rabbi Lettuce
    Molasses Oatmeal Pancakes Papaya Pasta Pears Peas Peaches
    PIZZA take any meats off first (lol) Potatoes Pumpkin Raisins
    Rice sugar Beet Spinach Squash Tea Leaves Tomatoes
    Turnips Waffles Watermelon Courgette family

Avoid meat, poultry and dairy products as they might attract insects and they rot down with maggots, not nice for your plants!. Try not to give the worms too much citrus fruit, onions, coffee grounds or tea as they are acidic and the worms don't like them much. You should avoid any feed that may contain hormones or antibiotics, as well as manure from animals that have been wormed or fed antibiotics (check when you get the manure). Avoid lawn clippings as they create too much heat., but rhy love a few handfulls of decomposed leaves every now and again. If you stick to the list above, you should do very well. Worms will also eat dog and cat shit, and engine oil however not for plants. Especially pet poo, they have worming residue, and thats cyanide to worms.

There you go, a list of recommended foods. Just make sure its soft and small, froozen and thawed if possible.

500gms of worms will eat a kilo of food every 3/4 days. Thats some serious munching, but it has to be in perfect condition for them to achieve this, hence the emphasis on freezing and thawing if possible before feeding. Even a minature composting bucket with a lid outside the backdoor will start the breakdon process, and give the worms a head start.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Bong View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the info bb. 2nd to growing and smoking I enjoy freshwater fishing so it looks like we will be entering the world of worm farming too, free bait and fertiliser.

I let you know how we get on.

MB
    Yeah, let me know how you get on, and you will have a few problems when you start, if thats the case just shout out and Ill see what i know.

Glad you liked the thread, I am definately starting a worm keepers club

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

troot Guest

I used to use my wormery for bait supply. But the worms are really soft when they 1st come out of the wormery, so best put in bait box a couple of days before going fishing with some moss or shredded newspaper to toughen them up - you wont lose so many when casting

Thanks

This seems like a good idea and i am learning more and more every time i visit this site i love it lol, now the next challenge (for me anyway) is convincing the mrs to let me have one lol as i live in her house!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris1985 For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris1985 View Post
    This seems like a good idea and i am learning more and more every time i visit this site i love it lol, now the next challenge (for me anyway) is convincing the mrs to let me have one lol as i live in her house!

Just tell her they are friendly pets! They dont smell if you keep it purely organic, and you can keep the farm on a balcony, in a shed, anywhere. Burying the food stops any creepy crawlies, you might get a bit of mould on some of the surface food, but it doesn't smell at all. You could almost put one under the coffee table they are so little trouble.

They are defiantely worth it IMO, besides if she lets you grow weed, what harm is a few worms?

Good luck with that one thought mate, you might need a few bunches of flowers and a posh meal out, with afters to seal the deal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

lmao thanks mate i know yh i will have to let you know how i get on with her and letting me have one of these lol, might have to sort a place out for it though as i dont think that she will like me having it under the coffee table, However the dinner table who knows......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chris1985 For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris1985 View Post
    lmao thanks mate i know yh i will have to let you know how i get on with her and letting me have one of these lol, might have to sort a place out for it though as i dont think that she will like me having it under the coffee table, However the dinner table who knows......
    under the bed? Just keep it warm, don't let it get too hot.

Good luck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

good post buddy, would worms survive a good watering with nutes mate? i ask because i heard somewhere that its good to add a few worms to your pots as they airate the soil.... is this true mate or will they eat/damage your roots??? cheers buddyboy....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cheech&chong For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Thanks

Thats a good question. I would not have any idea how worms would react to a dose of nutes, I would imagine that the general percentage of N P or K, feed dependant of course, would be way too strong for the worms, after all like us they take the nutrients they need from what they eat, at the correct metabolic rate for themselves.

As humans if we eat a perfectly balanced diet we dont need any supplements apart from a few base metals like zinc, we pretty much get everything we need from food, but zinc is very slow, I am just using zinc as an example.

So i don't know in short lol, red tigers, (worm farm worms) don't eat roots, they eat decomposing vegetable matter on the whole, earthworms do eat the little feeder roots on plants, they are supposed to be a worm delicacy

At the end of the day, it depends on your conscience, add a few worms to your pot, see what happens....It could be a good experiment. For me I get ample results from the teas and casts.

Come to think of it, a grow space may be a little hot for a worm, if your growing around the 70/80 degree mark you can bet your last spliff that the soil is a lot warmer, they may bet slow cooked in that sort of environment.

Sorry not to be of much help

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BuddyBoy For This Useful Post:

r33ee (07-07-22)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast