Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Worm farms

Thanks

no probs buddy worth looking into further though mate? will see what good old google throws up? cheers...

Thanks

get free worms by putting an old rug or dog bed on concrete or slabs next to a soil bed outdoors or grass and worms will migrate to under the rug or what ever after a week or two lift it up and voila free worms .

Thanks

Good thread buddy,
    After reading this Im thinking of getting a little one going in my loft with the recycling buckets Ive borrowed from my old job,
    I was alittle embarrased to admit to my mates that after a good down pour Ide go out and collect rain water and castings from a nearby football pitch, dirty work admittedly and some people walking there dogs give me a funny look or must think im a a fetish dog shit collecting wierdo but you know what I have the plants best interests at heart so i dont give a fuck, casting tea which you mentioned earlier is a totally organic and vitally rich nutrient feed for plants, they love it, I mix mine with a soluable seaweed from Vitax and in return after litterally minutes after a feed I see the leaves of my plants reaching up in a way that they are almost begging for it, sounds silly maybe but Ive noticed the difference in foliage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by black.lung View Post
    get free worms by putting an old rug or dog bed on concrete or slabs next to a soil bed outdoors or grass and worms will migrate to under the rug or what ever after a week or two lift it up and voila free worms .
    Yes indeed free worms , but are they the right ones? Earthworms will die in a wormfarm of this design, and setup. They are deep substrate feeders.

You will indeed trap a few worms of the right variety, you will have to keep the trapping up for a fair while to get the minimum amount to make a worm farm work at minimum efficiency, this worm farm is designed aroung 500gms of worms that will produce a complete cycle in 3 months.

Good luck with your hunting though, anything free is worth the effort IMO.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,125 Times

i nearly got my bits together now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubbs View Post
    i nearly got my bits together now
    LOL, I've been trying to get my bits together for years

the fist feed is important, you want the worms to be happy straight away, so some nice fresh carrot peelings, and some stale beard soaked till its damp in a little water will do the trick. Not too much tho....

Thanks

lol, that would be BREAD, no beard....obviously

troot Guest

Got mine on the go last week . Picked up bits and bobs from local store - cost about £5 in total ( plus £5 for worms) the tap was the most expensive part - hope to use this to drain worm tea from bottom box. should take approx 10wks to get a decent amount of tea from bottom box of wormery. I plan to dilute this 1/10 to feed my babies.

Won't let me upload photos but you can see them in my THC photo gallery (if you want to of course )

Thanks

NIce one troot, make sure you're worms don't drown in that botton resevoir, thats why i used 3 storage boxes, the bottom one having the 'safety island' that I talked about in my diagram. The worms are explorers mate, thay get everywhere lol.

Looking good though, get some holes in the sides too, the bedding and food should be well airiated to maintain an even temperature.

IMO if you get enough moisture in the farm to dilute the tea like you talked about, your worm farm is way too wet, thats why I make a teabag with some cloth and put the casts in that in a bucket of water to create the tea, you will get some juicy runoff thats for sure but not enough for what you're talking about.

Nice job though man!

Thanks

i use the worms as food for my goldfish and my sons axolotal(salamander)a lot cheaper than buying bloodworms.
    i thought there was only 1 type of earthworm in england?
    you get a good amount of worms but not 500g worth .maybe after a month or so!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast