Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    IDK I have never tasted anything but smoke, I can smell it, but never taste it. It can be a little harsh sometimes, if you over do it. Other than that it's just fine.
    If you don't taste anything anyway you should try out a water cure, that definitely helps to give a smoother smoke but this goes at the expense of the flavor.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-10-19), IceCalibur (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    If you don't taste anything anyway you should try out a water cure, that definitely helps to give a smoother smoke but this goes at the expense of the flavor.
    That sounds good, but really I don't even smoke any more, just grow it. I quit July 6th or 2017, it was fun while it lasted, but was time to move on, so now I just grow it, and I doubt I will go to any trouble for any of my friends that might still smoke A little once in A while, if they want the smooth taste stuff, they can grow it them selves. lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-11-19)

Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Cheers for the quick response dude. I read or watched a video saying that washing with a solvent gets more out of the plant but I want sure if that meant quantity or variety of terpenes and whatever other properties in the bud that gets extracted. Some methods remove the chlorophyll for flavour and then the guy mentions the chlorophyll has benefits too. I'm not fussed about the flavour if it means theres more benefits. The more I read the more confused I get lol. As for thc, I have northern lights canna butter in the freezer so dose a peas worth every other day atm, sometimes daily
    Solvent wash it. If you make infused oils the flowers retain too much of the good stuff imo. A solvent wash will strip it pretty much completely. You also can monitor the doses way easier too. Use a good carrier oil and sunflower liquid lecithin.

You really must keep the liver busy before dosing orally and also use as suppositories. The higher you are, the less effective the oils will be.

Can’t stress enough too in regards to a plant based diet!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-11-19), GEORGE (01-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19), WhIpLaSh (01-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Personally I'm medicating my dog... so suppositories isn't an attractive option lol. I think I'm now decided on the wash 1st method. Would a cooker hood extractor be advisable (got electric glass topped hobs) or better near an open window with fans blasting out? Got a few Kilner jars and a laser thermometer on their way. Debating if I need to buy a hot plate. Need to find a good pan for the final reduction. I've heard teflon is a no no

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-11-19), GEORGE (02-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Depends on the solvent you are going to use doesn't it?
    Something to also keep in mind is that the higher you go with the temperature the more terpenes you are losing/degrading.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19)

Chew Guest

Personally I'm medicating my dog... so suppositories isn't an attractive option lol. I think I'm now decided on the wash 1st method. Would a cooker hood extractor be advisable (got electric glass topped hobs) or better near an open window with fans blasting out? Got a few Kilner jars and a laser thermometer on their way. Debating if I need to buy a hot plate. Need to find a good pan for the final reduction. I've heard teflon is a no no

Lol! Sorry mate, totally missed that bit. Doubt a plant based diet would go down well either!

Don’t use a cooker hood mate. Not worth the risk. I use a flat bottom wok filled with water and the frying pan on top with electric hot plate. Best to aways do it outside. The fumes are dreadful when boiling off and flammable

PTFE & PFOA Free non stick pan and some 1ml oral syringes is what I use. Suck it straight out the pan with those and you have your one gram per syringe. I find that easy to keep track of your doses and ratios

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (02-11-19), GEORGE (02-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19)

Thanks

Does it smell much? My garden in adjacent to a path used by lots of dog walkers. Was gonna use isopropyl but if theres a less smelly option...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (02-11-19), GEORGE (02-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19)

Chew Guest

Does it smell much? My garden in adjacent to a path used by lots of dog walkers. Was gonna use isopropyl but if theres a less smelly option...
    When boiling off the solvent the fumes are very potent but they don’t hang around for long. Seeing as you only have two ish oz there won’t be a huge amount of ISO. Get the pan up to temp then add small amounts each time. Once it starts fizz it’s gone very quickly.

Whichever way you do it, there’s always gonna be a smell unfortunately

It’s well worth winterising too. Chuck everything in the freezer for 24hrs. Weed, solvent, jars, funnels the lot. Filter in the freezer too if you can. That will lock out the unwanted fats/wax’s and chlorophyll etc and give a much cleaner finished product

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (02-11-19), GEORGE (02-11-19), Silkadin (02-11-19), Valentina (02-11-19), WhIpLaSh (02-11-19)

Thanks

Not allowed to link it, but if you do a search on YouTube for How to extract CBD/THC from Cannabis with Alcohol/Everclear (a dude in a cap and sunglasses), then you'll see my favourite video so far. Thinking of copying his method.

So far I have jars, funnels, laser thermometer and of course the erb. Need to buy a hot plate, cheese cloth, coffee filters, and the solvent and carrier oil. Plus some dropper bottles to store it once done

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (04-11-19), GEORGE (03-11-19)

Chew Guest

Go with whatever suites you best mate. His wash isn’t winterised and that can cause an upset stomach with some people. Wouldn’t have a clue about a dog though...

This is my quick wash ISO that’s winterised.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (04-11-19), GEORGE (03-11-19), Valentina (04-11-19)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast