Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Plants struggling

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,725 Times
    Provided Answers: 55

I've never used atami Coco and I've never bothered measuring pH or EC in the runoff. I would expect your cocoa to be okay after your flush even if it was your problem starting out. When you are using canna-specific notes and growing in Coco It really comes down to feed levels and pH. you would be surprised how many times guys have thought their pin was accurate and working fine only it wasn't. So when I say check recheck and double check your pH pen, that means test it at two levels seven and four pH or seven and 10 pH. I always go seven and four.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (09-09-20), Damking1 (10-09-20), GEORGE (09-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,497 Times
    Provided Answers: 10

I know you said you got rid of the borg but are you sure?
    I can see the small white dots on the leaves from insect damage.
    I would check the under sides of the leaves with a magnifying
    glass. Spider mites are insidious buggers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

Damking1 (10-09-20), GEORGE (09-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I've never used atami Coco and I've never bothered measuring pH or EC in the runoff. I would expect your cocoa to be okay after your flush even if it was your problem starting out. When you are using canna-specific notes and growing in Coco It really comes down to feed levels and pH. you would be surprised how many times guys have thought their pin was accurate and working fine only it wasn't. So when I say check recheck and double check your pH pen, that means test it at two levels seven and four pH or seven and 10 pH. I always go seven and four.

J

Hi mate. I've got a brand new blue lab PH Pen. I've calibrated with buffer 4 and 7. I checked my ph pen last night and seems to be spot on. I tested 3 plants run off and the readings are OK now since I've reported and slowly seem to be going greener.

They still like skinny but im hoping in a few days they start to flourish. The curling of the leaves is now worrying me.

Do you think the plants will recover and will just take a few days to see a differnce ?

Thanks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damking1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), GEORGE (10-09-20), Jingo (10-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    I know you said you got rid of the borg but are you sure?
    I can see the small white dots on the leaves from insect damage.
    I would check the under sides of the leaves with a magnifying
    glass. Spider mites are insidious buggers.

I'm pretty sure they have gone now as all the eggs and signs seem to have gone now but ill give it another spray today. Ill have to get a magnifying today as that's one thing I havent got

I was told about another type of mite that van cause curling of the leaves so ill have a good look today thanks.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damking1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), GEORGE (10-09-20), Jingo (10-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,940 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

How much are you letting the coco dry? Looks like they burnt up but a natrall light photo would b a better indicator.

What your ec from your tap?

I don't follow run off anymore cuz the last nutes I used was always below in run off even when they looked over fed. Now with the nutes I'm using now I was underfeeding I was getting high ec run off till I started feeding a high ec the run off ec even out. Don't try upping ur feed though just an explanation of run off. People kept telling me not to follow run off and learn to read the plants. Reading the plants is deffo the better option

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grower88; 10-09-20 at 08:15 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grower88 For This Useful Post:

Damking1 (11-09-20), GEORGE (10-09-20), Jingo (10-09-20)

Thanks

Maybe not let them dry as much as I should mate. I tend to keep the coco moist and constantly feed with a good amount of run off. The EC at the tap is 0 mate.

I’ve always went off my run off readings but yeah mate the plants will tell you.

I’m thinking about letting the coco dry out quite a bit. More the light up quite a bit higher and bacislly start again. How much do you let your coco dry out ?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damking1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), GEORGE (11-09-20), Jingo (11-09-20)

Thanks

Just been and my plants are definitely improving but really really slowly. I've never had this problem but assumed they would bounce back in days. Does know whether it would take 8+ days when repotted and flushed to recover ? I'm considering starting again ??

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damking1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), GEORGE (12-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,413 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

I had a spidermite problem,tried insecticidal soap which my plants did not like at all,got nematodes and lady bugs in the tent now.
    Like Blue61 says those little f00kers are a bitch to get rid off.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), Damking1 (12-09-20), GEORGE (12-09-20)

Thanks

I'm still a new grower - keep that in mind.

- I am growing in coco coir
    - Your coco looks a bit dry in those pics for my liking
    - I found I had issus when I didn't completely saturate the coco and get run off
    - I had issues like yours from not immediately draining the run off from the saucers
    - Until I got a decent amount of run off and drained the run off I had EC issues
    - The coco can be wet all the time so you can feed multiple times per day - and if you feed multiple times per day you end up using less water cos the coco holds the moisture better and your plants are constantly getting the salts washed out and new fresh feed while maintaining a good EC reading in and out. As soon as you stop feeding or don't get run off the EC spikes and the issues happen.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by NZ_; 13-09-20 at 01:07 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NZ_ For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-09-20)

Thanks

It turned out to be board or russet mite! My plants were struggling for the very start and after 3 weeks of trying everything, I looked into board mite which turned out to be the issue.

Everything was perfect such as temps/humidity but they just weren't growing. I'd never even heard of board mite before so unsure how they even got there.

If anyone else has struggling looking plants with curling leaves too and after a flush and reset nothing changes it could well be board/russet mites ??
    Last edited by Damking1; 15-09-20 at 06:43 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damking1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-09-20), GEORGE (15-09-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2