Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: PH info and problem solving.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
    most cases when you see a burn. a deff....and check run off you will find a low ph and hi ec..lots of food but canbt eat it with low ph and salt build up to close the plant down. needs water and watch run off for numbers in ec to drop and ph will rise...on its own with just ph water. ph it to same as always use with feeds.
    if ph is hi then usualy see a low ec..needs food and it is defficient in the true meaning....or what most call deff.
    a plant will always show the same for to much food or not enough. just slight variation to how it shows...the rate of it.
    if we see a green leaf but a more quick burn on edges its more likley a ph issue. may show light tops and thin tops and twisted leaves from this.

the firdst thing i watch for to keep ahead of it is the tops. that will tell current emmediate health in soil. older leaves that go are usualy from the plant taking the food to the tops so over a day or so them lighter tops will become green again...food isnt right if thats the case...ph isnt right...effecting the fod..or it dosent have enough food in medium.

so if leaves fade green gradual then show burns its usualy the lack of food as its a slower loss.
    Another lot of sense made.
    I have seen light tops, thin tops and twisted leaves in the past, ph issues blatently. And as you say, always the tops that look funny first. I seriously can not believe I overlooked this for so long.

I watered my first ph'd water last night, it was a plain feed, no nutes so I ph'd to 6.3, EC of the plain water was 0.6.
    Checked my runoff, pH was 6.3 EC was 1.6 which with what little I know about EC is quite high? Which would explain why I've got a little bit of tip burn at the mo. Sticking to my usual schedule I would have fed nutes next feed but now that I've been able to check EC, I can clearly see, my plants won't need nutes next go.

So whilst I'm only trying to keep an eye on my pH, it has enabled me straight away to gain a better understanding of how my medium is at any one time, before I used to base it on, alternate water and nutes and watch out for tip burn, if I got burn, slow it down, lol. This way is much more precise, and should allow me to see when the plant is uptaking max amounts of nutes. I like it
    Last edited by Up_in_smoke; 24-01-12 at 11:19 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GBK (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19), Mr ukthc (24-01-12), _Whisperer (24-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,985 Times

Its crazy when the lights go on and it all make sense,Sounds like you getting to grips with it so fast up-to I can here your excitement,Good for you man

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBK For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19), Up_in_smoke (24-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,309 Times

Well, I think this is the first thread where there hasn't been some sort of bickering.... and probably the most informative.. Maybe there is a connection!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted in here.... I'm slowly getting my head round the bigger picture! and also know that I'll be doing things a little different on my next grow.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Whisperer For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GBK (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jobby2812 View Post
    By about the 3rd or 4th week flower (5 to 6 weeks 12/12) my plants start to go yellow on the tips and down the edges of the leaves. Next thing I see is the leaves go crispy brown almost over night. It usually looks as if I am getting light bleaching the way they go yellow.
    I've probably asked you this before, but what lamps are you using? Could it be the blue light thing?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19), jobby2812 (24-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,985 Times

Quote Originally Posted by _Whisperer View Post
    Well, I think this is the first thread where there hasn't been some sort of bickering.... and probably the most informative.. Maybe there is a connection!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted in here.... I'm slowly getting my head round the bigger picture! and also know that I'll be doing things a little different on my next grow.
    Its mainly becouse the people in the thread agree that ph is need,Along come those that dont,and off we go again,and the thread was set up for the purpose of ph,Not just someones thread that the ph discussion got going and went wrong.Im finding this thread very educational,With great information that make sense,on a level i can understand.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBK For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,245 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymiss View Post
    I've probably asked you this before, but what lamps are you using? Could it be the blue light thing?

For veg I've been using a 125w Envirolite 6400K. Then after 2 1/2 to 3 weeks veg I pot up and the plants used to go under a 250w hps. Now they go under a 250w dual spectrum hps which I have been using for the last year. Got a new bulb to go in after my current grow has finished and that will be a 250w dual spectrum hps.

The yellowing doesn't seem like a lack of nitrogen kind of yellowing. Looks more like light bleaching then all of a sudden they go crispy brown if I don't keep on top of the pH. Below are 2 pics of my last grow of California Indica. You can see the yellowing I am getting in the first pic. Defo not lack of nitrogen, more like too much judging by the colour of some of the side branches. Once they have been that yellow colour for a few weeks then they burn up and go crispy brown like the second pic. These Cali's weren't fed as they seemed to get all what they needed from the soil. I just didn't keep on top of the pH when watering for 1 or 2 waterings.

'there was a young man named jobby,
    who haboured an illicit hobby,
    with renknowned growing fame,
    he put our plants to shame,
    that bright young man named jobby'

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jobby2812 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jobby2812 View Post
    For veg I've been using a 125w Envirolite 6400K. Then after 2 1/2 to 3 weeks veg I pot up and the plants used to go under a 250w hps. Now they go under a 250w dual spectrum hps which I have been using for the last year. Got a new bulb to go in after my current grow has finished and that will be a 250w dual spectrum hps.
    I would have thought that dual spectrum might produce enough blue, but I really don't know how good or 'dual' they actually are.

The yellowing doesn't seem like a lack of nitrogen kind of yellowing. Looks more like light bleaching
    I was thinking more along the lines of there not being enough blue light for the plant to be able to synthesise chlorophyll, rather than lack of nitrogen (although the symptoms may, of course be, very similar).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-03-19), jobby2812 (24-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mmmbud View Post
    Hi joey,my ph is 5.7 i dont check the run off,but i was told as long as its between 5.5 an 6.2 it should be ok.My ec is at 1.3 but i am only a few weeks off harvest,but you say you keep feeding it 6 to 7 litres of water,how big is the plant mate? over feeding isnt good mate i am giving my plants just over a litre of water every 2 days,i have 7 plants and mix 10 litres of water to share among them. hope this helps.
    It sounds like you're underfeeding a bit buddy.
    They should take 3-4 days between waters and if thats final pot size we're talking, 1 litre of water wouldn't be enough and this will be why they're thirsty after 2 days.
    For a final pot (15-20L) in soil under a 600 I feed 5L per plant per feed from about week 2 flowering. In mid-late veg they get a minimum of 2L-3L.
    You need to be watering slowly until you get runoff out the bottom.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

This is turning out to be a cracking thread, information overload, lovein it.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

C.W. (24-01-12), GBK (24-01-12), GEORGE (17-03-19), Greeneyes5 (24-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,245 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymiss View Post
    I would have thought that dual spectrum might produce enough blue, but I really don't know how good or 'dual' they actually are.

Pass but I never noticed any difference between the hps I was using and the hps dual spectrum I brought last year. It's a Sunmaster 250W Dual Spectrum Grow Lamp - 33000 Lumens that I used last year and have brought again for this year. Plants seem to love it for the first few weeks then things seem to go tits up.

I'm at the start of my 5th week flowering on my current grow so nearer 7 weeks of 12/12 and so far everything seems to be ticking along nicely. Yeah I messed the pH at the start of the grow but by the time they actually started to flower they had bounced back from it. I've also changed my soil from the Levingtons Multi Purpose compost I was using to B&Q Multi Purpose compost for this current grow to see if that helps.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jobby2812 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-03-19)

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast