Thread: Switching to bottled spring water after years of problems

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Switching to bottled spring water after years of problems

Hello all. Ive always grown autos in soil, multiple strains. Since I started growing about 10 years ago Ive always had varying degrees of yellowing/brown spots/red stems/stunted growth when going into flower. I've done a lot of research, asked a lot of questions & tried most things people have suggested over the years (hard water nutrients, different soils, various amendments, height of lights etc. etc. ) Only thing I haven't tried is changing the water. EC of my tap water is about 0.7, PH 8. From all my research it seems there could be some kind of calcium imbalance or something similar in the water that the plants don't like when they hit flower. Environment is dialled in fine.

As R/O water is not an option for me I'm now trying bottled spring water (don't know why i haven't tried before) - Scottish mountain water from Sainsburys to be exact. It's EC reads about 0.2, PH 7.

With the EC of this bottled water so low could I run into any problems ? Maybe I should do a 50/50 mix of tap & bottled? Also looking for recommendations as to what kind of nutrients would fit best with this bottled water?

Thanks for any help

2. "Apart from the pain in the arse, you might need to go for soft water nutrients, will most likely need to add cal/mag every few feeds too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk"

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Cont3 (22-03-21), Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), Herbitual (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times
    Provided Answers: 69

Apart from the pain in the arse, you might need to go for soft water nutrients, will most likely need to add cal/mag every few feeds too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Bud goode (31-05-21), Cont3 (22-03-21), Dupe (22-03-21), Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), Herbitual (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21), Valentina (24-03-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,042 Times

Ditch the soil and go coco, far more control in what your doing.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

Dupe (22-03-21), Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cont3 View Post
    Ditch the soil and go coco, far more control in what your doing.
    Thanks I might but am 3 weeks in to another soil grow now

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Apart from the pain in the arse, you might need to go for soft water nutrients, will most likely need to add cal/mag every few feeds too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    Cheers will look into this, maybe dutch pro or plant magic I think they do hard & soft versions

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), Herbitual (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,286 Times
    Provided Answers: 12

As per Loki's post: Plant Magic soft water grow and bloom (non-organic), Magnecal from Plant Magic used in extremely small doses per litre (like a 1/4ml) and regular spraying with an Epsom Salts solution (1tsp/l) and you'll be golden. Personally, I also add a handful of Westland's Blood, Bone and Fish to me out-of-the-bag soil, too.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/signaturepics/sigpic82640_3.gif

Neckbeard, cute dog, pansy-ass fuck* pursuing herb immunity since 1966

*TM. HazyClouds (RIP)

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Herbitual For This Useful Post:

Dupe (23-03-21), Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (22-03-21), Karsa (22-03-21), scoot (23-03-21)

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Anyone have an opinion on mixing 50 50 with tap water? I might try it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (23-03-21)

Thanks

So am on about day 47 from seed (autos) so they are well into flowering & here I am again with yellowing, purple stems & rust spots that appeared this week. Apparently I'm cursed with this sh@t! I have used bottled water throughout mixing it with say 20- 30% tap water. Each watering since about 21 days from seed I have been bringing the plain water EC back up to about 0.4 - 0.5 with magnecal & then add about 2ml per L of plant magic old timer, every third watering is just plain water with just magnecal added but no old timer. Maybe I'm adding too much (or too little?) magnecal? I haven't done the Epsom spraying though like was suggested as I thought perhaps (wrongly?) the magnecal would take care of that. Pretty sure my ec meter is calibrated ok.
    Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (17-04-21)

Thanks

By the way Ive used old timers as that's what I had lying around, maybe this doesn't mix so well with magnecal ?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dupe For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (17-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dupe View Post
    So am on about day 47 from seed (autos) so they are well into flowering & here I am again with yellowing, purple stems & rust spots that appeared this week. Apparently I'm cursed with this sh@t! I have used bottled water throughout mixing it with say 20- 30% tap water. Each watering since about 21 days from seed I have been bringing the plain water EC back up to about 0.4 - 0.5 with magnecal & then add about 2ml per L of plant magic old timer, every third watering is just plain water with just magnecal added but no old timer. Maybe I'm adding too much (or too little?) magnecal? I haven't done the Epsom spraying though like was suggested as I thought perhaps (wrongly?) the magnecal would take care of that. Pretty sure my ec meter is calibrated ok.
    Thanks for any help.

Rusty spots are a sure sign of calcium def. Mineral water has hardly any Mg or C. If mixing 50_50. I can only go by the nutes I use Biobizz. They recommend using mineral or rain water to soften down to an ec between 2 _ 4. As mentioned before by Loki you will need cal mag..

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud goode For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (31-05-21), GEORGE (31-05-21)